Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You're charging what for a pint!?!?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Seen this but mostly taste like piss water.

Same goes for the Bavaria for around 3.70 a pint. When im a on budget i tend to over look this as yes the price of drink around most spots of Dublin is crazy.

I find the working class areas are open to doing offers and cheaper drink. The so called upper class areas can not be arsed so **** them they can keep there expensive drink and plenty of other crap i wont mention :P.

I mostly drink around me locals in Rathcoole or down the road in Tallaght lot of nice pubs in either area and at least you know there trying to lower prices some what. Ive usually no problem paying 10 euro for 3 bottles or 3.50 or 3.00 for a pint in a pub if i chose to head out that night.

Diceys i have tried couple times and would not bother my arse with. Its over crowded most nights full of twats and the staff and door staff are pricks. I was turned away once one night and i had only had two drinks before even getting there. Only reason i could think of for this was i didnt fit in with the crowd they want in there place *Not done up to the nines or female enough :pac:*
    Nice jeans and shirt must not of been good enough for a Wednesday night in Diceys :P

why? because its cheap? its identical to carlsberg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Ive drank in Cork a good few times on weekends down there. The city area similar to that of Dublin was pretty much the same price i didnt notice any big change. In fact i wasnt saving money at all. I could of drank cheaper in my local.

Maybe its different on the out skirts of Cork.
    Well for example there's 2 pubs in the city centre (Slate Bar & An Brog) which do €3 pints until 9am & 11pm respectively - 7 days a week. And there's no door charge either. Off the top of my head another city centre pub (Preachers) does a 'beer of the day' for 3.50. An added luxury is that for any stout drinker there's always beamish in every pub - usually 60c cheaper than Guinness.

t€11.18 a pint is just wrong!!

I remember paying €6.60 for a bottle of Erdinger last year in the South William Bar, however it's probably the most expensive bottle stocked in Irish pubs, up there with Kopparberg (which ive never bought)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Only times I ever buy Koppaberg are when it's €3 drinks night in Fibbers,ridiculously expensive otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I remember paying €6.60 for a bottle of Erdinger last year in the South William Bar, however it's probably the most expensive bottle stocked in Irish pubs, up there with Kopparberg (which ive never bought)
    But thats for 500ml so not quite as bad as paying a similar amount for 330 ml

The scary thing though is that the pub that charged 6.60 for an erdinger probably would likely charge the same for an alcohol free one.
    Penalizing the designated driver rather than encouraging them to bring drinkers through their doors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Timebomb_501

Does anybody know why pubs like Doyles and Whelans in Dublin can get away with raising the price of their alcohol after a certain time?

For example a pint of carlsberg before 11pm(ish) will be 4.90 and after 11pm(ish) will be 5.40.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Does anybody know why pubs like Doyles and Whelans in Dublin can get away with raising the price of their alcohol after a certain time?
    Ehm, because there's no law against it? They are obliged to display all the various prices and the times at which they change. But beyond that they're free to charge what they like and the customer is free not to pay it if it's too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Tuborg is advertised as 4% but is more like 2.5% (more or lesswater, i'm a light weight and drank 8 cans and wasn't pissed) and that's why it's so cheap. If you don't believe me, buy a 6 pack from your offo for 5 bucks, drink it all and you could feckin drive home! (disclaimwe: never drive after drinking, regardless of amount)

also, diceys is a sh*t hole, I remember when this was first took over and they opened the beer garden, no one used to go there, it was empty, but a few work mates used to go there on Fridays and weekends and spend lottts of money, no doubt, without question, it was still trying to take off and we were their best customers by far, then after a whike we were refused entry because it was all booked ... FU*K the regulars. Never going back, never will, not that they care. I just regret being a good customer (a long time before price reductions)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,969 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why are Dublin pubs so expensive ? I was charged 5e in two pubs for a pint of Guinness. I can get a great pint for 3.80e where i live. I think Dublin pubs are far too expensive and i believe customers are being ripped off and should vote with their feet. Its not as if they are paying higher wages in the city either from talking to several barmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Rent + rates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

why? because its cheap? its identical to carlsberg

Dunno where you been drinking Carlsberg but does not taste same as Tuborg. I used to drink Carlsberg all the time it has a crisper taste and more of a bite. Tuborg in pubs from a tap tastes like it has been watered down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Why are Dublin pubs so expensive ? I was charged 5e in two pubs for a pint of Guinness.
    It's because there are people who, when charged €5 for a pint, will follow it by going to another pub and handing over another €5 for a pint.
    customers are being ripped off and should vote with their feet.
    :rolleyes:

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's because there are people who, when charged €5 for a pint, will follow it by going to another pub and handing over another €5 for a pint.

:rolleyes:

If it were up to me i would have found a cheaper pub but i was on a mission and had to stay to meet people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Diceys have amazing offers TBH. Special offers on all pints and bottles all night including alcopops and those strawberry beers like Kopperberg and the like.

Tuesday = €2
    Wednesday = €3
    Thursday = €3.50
    Friday = €4

Was in there last Friday night and they gave me a free platter of food aswell cos I reserved a table.

221607_10150540018540389_602010388_18090641_6494351_n.jpg

OM NOMS NOMS NOMS NOMS. Think they do it on Wed and Thurs aswell.

An ASHTRAY on the table :eek:

aint seen that in a good few years.;

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Bavaria is pretty decent, it's nicer than Heineken I think. Considering most pubs only have the unholy trinity of Heino, Bud, and Carlsberg on tap, especially outside of Dublin, I'd choose Bavaria over those any day, and it's cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

I'm getting to like Peadar's Bar on Dame St - it's a small place near the Olympia, that once upon a time was ultra cool, covered in chrome and called K2 (I think) but has now decided that barrels, some trad music and all pints (except Paulener:() €4 til 7pm weekdays and 5pm weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭gifted

Just to move it out of dublin for a while, Was at a wedding in faithlegg house in waterford last year...€5.75 for a bottle of bud...gobsmacked I was :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 patchmck

Gingerman just there off Westland Row.

Nice place, guinness drinkers take note: pints are 4.10ish but pints of beamish go for 3.50. They also do a homebrew weissbeer and lager (I think) for 3.5 too.

Hairy lemon can feck right off for that price, haven't been there in a long time but it certainly wasn't a memorable evening. Nice to hear people refusing to even enter places with those rip off prices, its the only thing publicans will understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Bavaria is a lovely drink. I'd choose it over any of the regulars. I got a milky pint of Heineken one night for 5.40 or whatever it was in the Hairy Lemon. Didn't bring it back because the place was mobbed. I didn't overdo it that night, but I had the worst hangover in a long time the next day. I blame that pint. Haven't been back.

I have however been to Gogarty's in Temple Bar on a Saturday night. :(

€6.20

I never thought it would happen, but then it did. I've spent over €6 for a pint of Heineken. The shame

patchmck wrote: »
    pints of beamish go for 3.50.

Do many pubs in Dublin have it on tap? If so does it sell well in those places?

• Advertisement

Yeah most places do I think, at least suburban local type pubs. I drink it regularly, as it's usually 50c or so cheaper than Guinness. It has a lovely coffee-ish flavour out of it that you don't get from Guinness. It should be more celebrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

patchmck wrote: »
    Gingerman just there off Westland Row.

Nice place, guinness drinkers take note: pints are 4.10ish but pints of beamish go for 3.50. They also do a homebrew weissbeer and lager (I think) for 3.5 too.

Hairy lemon can feck right off for that price, haven't been there in a long time but it certainly wasn't a memorable evening. Nice to hear people refusing to even enter places with those rip off prices, its the only thing publicans will understand.
    Yep the Ginger man is a great spot (outside rush hour like fridays evenings), nice staff too.
    I like that you can get pitchers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Unfortunately it is rare enough to find. Leonards Corner, The Gingerman, O'Neills and Devitts on Camden St are a few places I can think that sell it.

It has a nicer taste to guinness I think. Also nice and cheap. Hence why it is often called a pint of "Social Welfare" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

miketv wrote: »
    Yep the Ginger man is a great spot (outside rush hour like fridays evenings), nice staff too.
    I like that you can get pitchers too.

Whats the pricing like? Does it work out good per pint?

Unfortunately it is rare enough to find. Leonards Corner, The Gingerman, O'Neills and Devitts on Camden St are a few places I can think that sell it.

It has a nicer taste to guinness I think. Also nice and cheap. Hence why it is often called a pint of "Social Welfare" ;)

What? They have it in nearly every pub outside the city centre anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

discus wrote: »
    Whats the pricing like? Does it work out good per pint?
    I'm not 100% sure (please somebody correct me) but I think it works out around the same price as 4 pints or a little cheaper. Sorry don't have a better answer.

miketv wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure (please somebody correct me) but I think it works out around the same price as 4 pints or a little cheaper. Sorry don't have a better answer.

A pitcher is 3 pints. So if you're paying anything more than 10e for a pitcher it's not much of a deal. They used to do 10e pitchers in Sin E of some nice beer until 10pm, not sure if they do it now since it's reopened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

RE: Diceys cheap pints.

They charge 5 euro in at the door, maybe more on Thursday / Fridays

So if you have 1 pint on a Wednesday, it costs you 8 euro total (3 euro for pint + 5 euro in), 2 pints 11 euro (5.50 per pint), 3 pints 14 euro (4.60 per pint), 4 pints 17 euro (4.25 per pint), 5 pints 20 euro (4.00 per pint), 6 pints 23 euro (3.80 per pint), 7 pints 26 euro (3.70 per pint), 8 pints 29 euro (3.60 per pint), 9 pints 32 euro (3.55 per pint), 10 pints 35 euro (3.50 per pint) ... etc. etc. etc.

So the cover charge means you have to drink 20+ pints before you actually get near 3 euro a pint, and would need to drink 5 pints just to have paid 4 euro per pint as apposed to the 3 euro per pint advertised. The prift margin on a pint? Costs them less than 50 cent to get that pint in your hand (included rent and wages), so the more you drink to get closer to the 3 euro mark per pint, they're still making 5 / 4 / 3 euro profit PER drink you buy.

Add to that an additional 2 euro to hang up a coat (and extra 2 euro to put a bag in), you are not allowed put your coat on any furniture or the bouncers tell you to move it / hang it up, plus any charges for food, plus the price you might pay for the privellage of taking a piss.

Don't worry, everyone is still out to completely fu*k you, they're just trying to be smarter about it because you're not being as wreckless and stupid as you used to be.

Just a little heads up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

SteoL wrote: »
    An ASHTRAY on the table :eek:

aint seen that in a good few years.;

It was in the beer garden!

• Advertisement

Beamish is not a patch on Guiness.
    I find it has a burnt taste and don't like it but each to his own.

Advertisement