Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

colourful trees or shrubs for a rough area

Options
  • 18-04-2011 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

hi everyone
    we have a very large area next to our front lawn(approx 1/4-1/2 acre) which we would like to plant some colourful trees and shrubs that would brighten up the area..the shrubs ideally would grow to a considerable size.
    we were talking about cherry blossoms and fuchsia anybody have any other suggestions
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Ceanothus and Spirea shrubs are my faves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

two really good suggestions there...i like the look of both i must admit...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Photinia, Viburnum Tinus, Lavatera Mrs Barnsley, Choisya Sundance, Sambucus Black Lace.

excellent sonnenblumen
    thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Sambucus Black Lace.

^ That is one of my favourites, love the colours of the leaves.

I lost every bit of fuchsia I had during the big freeze.. :(

For a tree with great colour

Prunus nigra - i've one in my garden and ten years on it is at the gutter of a two story house - I've never pruned it at all - great leaf colour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_nigra

or for a variation on cherry blossom - it grows upwards, columnar - lovely tree..

Prunus amanogwa

http://gift-ideas.gift-tree-ireland.com/product44.html

That's my two cents for ya :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Originally Posted by Sonnenblumen
    Sambucus Black Lace.

Agree with foxinsox. Sambucus Black Lace is one of few shrubs that survived the winter in my garden, something I suppose we need to consider now when planting anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

foxinsox wrote: »
    ^

I lost every bit of fuchsia I had during the big freeze.. :(

:)

have you checked it lately? i thought ours were gone but there is new growth right at the base.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Great to see so many admirers of Black Lace - an amazing shrub which is well capable of reaching great heights. Important to remember though that this shrub can become very woody which will undermine the fantastic flowering performance. Therefore it is recommended that every 3-4 years to cut back all stems to within 200mm/9" of ground level.

One of the best shrubs for any garden (space permitting)!

Your two cents are very welcomed foxinsox .... Thanks

Advertisement