Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for Best climbers

Options
  • 18-04-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

hello,

Moved into a newly built house last September and want to get a traditional, mature look on the outside ASAP. I love the look of a house with ivy and climbers on the outside but have no idea which would best suit. I'm hoping for some help from you guys! The front of the house gets very little sun and the back gets all of it! is there any particular Ivy or climber that does better in shade and would you keep the same at the front and the back or could you use two different ones? really need and would very much appreciate anyone's help.

here's a picture of the house to give an idea

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

clusk007 wrote: »
    hello,

Moved into a newly built house last September and want to get a traditional, mature look on the outside ASAP. I love the look of a house with ivy and climbers on the outside but have no idea which would best suit. I'm hoping for some help from you guys! The front of the house gets very little sun and the back gets all of it! is there any particular Ivy or climber that does better in shade and would you keep the same at the front and the back or could you use two different ones? really need and would very much appreciate anyone's help.

here's a picture of the house to give an idea

Be careful with ivy - I had to cut mine down as it got into the mortar and was loosening bricks. It can cause serious damage when it becomes strong. Also, believe it or not - it began to wind its way around the windows through the frame and into the inside of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

okay thanks for that. From looking at garden centre websites there seems to be different types. Is there some that would be more suitable than others?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm no expert, but Virginia Creeper is a fast-growing climber and turns a lovely colour in the autumn. Wisteria can look beautiful on a house too with its flowers. Climbing hydrangea grows well on a north-facing wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

clusk007 wrote: »
    okay thanks for that. From looking at garden centre websites there seems to be different types. Is there some that would be more suitable than others?

The one that caused me grief is English Ivy - after about 15 years the vines were like tough rope and really hard to control. It even got into my downspouts. I don't know much about any others though.

I do have good experiences with clematis. I have one on the side of the house growing up a trellis for about 20 years with no problems. It flowers for most of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 orlaeryn

Clematis montans is a very fast growing climber. It does need support, as it doesn't stick to the walls as such, also it is not evergreen, but does produce masses of beautiful white/ pinkish flowers in early spring and will hold its leaves into autum.

We also have some honeysuckles which took off pretty quick and are evergreen too. Virginia creeper or boston ivy i hear are good, and are next on my list too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

You should also try Wisteria, I can't remember the variety at the moment but it looks beautiful when in bloom during mid summer to early autumn months (that may change due to weird weather conditions). Its foliage also has a type of welcoming look to it, my view anyways.
    I, personally, wouldn't go with Ivy, destructive depending on the variety as, like an above post, a neighbour had to cut it down as it was destroying the bricks and mortar.

Advertisement