Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christian Brothers School, Baldoyle on Fire

Options
  • 18-04-2011 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Just heard the old christian brothers school is on fire. It was Belcamp its now this.. 2 wonderful buildings destroyed.

hosp.jpg

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I spent a year in dublin st juniorate in 1960 its a slim chance anybody else out there spend some time there?Top right hand corner of pic other side of street.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Scrag

Hi there just read your post. I was also there around that time I came from Belfast. I have just done my sums and it seems I was there from 1961 to 1963 and then spent a year in Marino and then left. WE may well have crossed paths a long time ago.
    Regards

Scrag wrote: »
    Hi there just read your post. I was also there around that time I came from Belfast. I have just done my sums and it seems I was there from 1961 to 1963 and then spent a year in Marino and then left. WE may well have crossed paths a long time ago.
    Regards
    hello there.
    I left in around june 61 after a spell there .bro paul hayes was the super.cuthbert taught science gabriel irish.I could'nt take all the time sitting in a desk.Eddie garvey is still about.We had a few boys from the north who had special classes for irish.I've wondered what ever became of them all.It was a time unlike any other in my life but the confinement deadened some part of me.We rarely got out anywhere.They were very dedicated though everything 100%.Great teachers.Tell me what a gaudeamous was and i'll know you're genuine.Or where was the study?Football hail rain or snow.Every hour was routinely regulated.

Hi there,
    Thanks for the reply. I redid my sums .I started September 1961 so we missed by a few months. It just shows how indoctrinated we were that after 50years you ask:-
    1 Guademas Let us rejoice All hoig days a holidays and when an old brother in St Pats died we had a celebration.
    2 The Study was above the refectory up the stairs ti the right of a statue of St. Philomena who was unceremoniously removed to the boot room or some redundant corridor off the toilets when she was desisted as a canonised saint.
    I was one of those who was in the special class for Irish and ended up with over 90% in the old Inter and to this day I am more accademic in Irish than fluent.
    I left in 1964 and went back to Belfast and did my GCE , got a job as a quantity surveyor in Belfast for a years , moved back to Dublin for a few years and then went to Rhodesia , now Zimbabwe for 30years and now back in Dublin.
    Barney taught English and Comgall taught Maths.
    I met up with them few times afterwards but when I left for Rhodesia I lost contact with world.
    Regards
    Eugene

Full marks.Philomena demoted on a pedestal immediately outside the study.Well how can i forget that huge staircase that was my charge and others told me the worst of all the charges or chores.Bro. Gabriel or Gabby put me on that and would'nt let me be part of the school orchestra.Reason was i thought he was funny looking and he knew why i laughed at him.I paid the price and i did'nt understand it at the time.The other boys had great respect for him and they said he had a string of letters after his name.He did all the music and was a supreme stickler for detail.A t not crossed forfeited a mark.I admired him but he did'nt like me at all.I'd hit a button and he was hurting.I regret that now.I learned more in my short time with them than all the other years put together.I always say hello to garvey though i rarely see him.I missed my own too much i cried my eyes out the first night there.I did'nt know anybody.Vocations peaked in 65 grvey told me the pop industry was calling too loud and the dublin boys who were allowed home on special days would bring back stories of films and elvis etc.The call was too loud outside those walls.The nuns bought the place i think it's a girls school now.We were lucky theyd stopped using the wooden billets the ice had to be broken on the basins in the morning.I'm avoiding using peoples names as much as possible.Bye for now.Zimbabwe and you're ok after there?

• Advertisement

Hi there,
    Do I take it that you were not from Dublin. There was always some type of competition between the Dubs and the rest. I guess looking back we were all just kids. Who is Garvey? The old school was sold and is still a convent school. Strangely a my brothers daughter attended there for secondary school. She was born in Lima in Peru and they came back to Dublin. We came back Jan 1 2003.
    email me <snip>
    This site may be to open for comments that may be mis interpreted
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lurcherman

I entered Baldoyle in August of 1960. Yes I remember Br Paul Hayes, Br Gabriel Carberry, Br Bernard Monaghan, Br Comhngal.
    I spent 2 years there - and seven years altogether in the Brothers. I left in 1966 aged 20 years. We probably were there together!

My information about myself is always misleading or imprecise .You can pm me .

Paddy Can you contact me sometime if you still have my email address. I lost yours and contact. I have been in contact with another post who was there for seven years and has written a book which I have just read. Think he was there in your year. Regards. Eug

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Always wanted to see my old Christian Brothers school burn down .Not mine but that will do ;-)

• Advertisement

Happy new year to all ex-pupils I have been trying trying to track down some off those in my year but after so long it is almost impossible. I think there are still about three or four still standing from my intake which is unusual as most have left. More amazing is that someone in my year has just abandoned the place after fifty years. I would love to meet him. He will come out to a world he has nothing in common with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

old thread, locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement