Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The N64 'Back to Basics' Tournament.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Freddy Krueger
    diabolical-freddy-glove.jpg&sa=X&ei=vrjmTc63McjDhAek5qi3Cg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFA0ASdWRLy3FpY4RO4c7vMreHbxg

Versus

Persephone
    Persephone_2.jpg&sa=X&ei=nrnmTb6yMoObhQfu5eHYCg&ved=0CAQQ8wc4FA&usg=AFQjCNHPN6ZeYh7mOvntoI4ceVwKRtqfZA

"Freddy Krueger is not used to having unexpected visitors show up in his dreamworld looking for trouble. So just what is Persephone up to in this instance?"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Persephone may be a goddess, however she is off her turf. This time she has stepped into the realm of the Dream Master. Freddy torments her by forcing her to face a twisted cariacture of her mother who uses the land against. In the end Freddy adds another soul to his collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Freddy is pretty much a god in the dreamworld. Without any knowledge of what she stepped into Persephone will be trapped and at the mercy of our good friend Krueger. It will take one hell of a power to deal with him in a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Hmmm upon first glance it would seem a mismatch with Freddie looking like a god in his realm.

But Freddy and his realm basically are made strong or weaker by the mind/imagination of a sleeping victim. The less a sleeping victim fears Freddy the stronger that person's dream persona is against Freddy.

With Persephone we get a deity who will arrive of her own free will, who is not asleep and who will certainly have a superiority complex over what she will see as being a minor demon.

So Fredrick has no fear to draw strength from, and he does not have the unconcious mind to fuel his realm either. Plus Freddy has been vunerable in the past when mere humans were able to pull him from the dream world and into the real world, so I am thinking that the Queen of the Underworld will be able to bring him from his realm and into her reality.

Frederick Charles Krueger is in trouble in this one, and with no foe around that fears him, he is on a one way ride to becoming just another minion for Persephone to rule over in the Underworld.

Persephone for the win.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Freddie IS a God in his realm. Incredibly creative and vindictive in his mental tortures, his only weakness in the Dream Realm would be a character mismatch.

And what a mismatch it is...

Fred relies entirely on Vitality-based abilities. He has tremendous damage output but he's there for one thing and one thing only - to terrify his opponent, recharging his own batteries off their terror, before he finally weakens them enough to eat their soul.

Problem is, while ripping out someone's soul cures a whole host of issues, it also has a whole host of issues. Being an unensouled revenant or undead, having a fractured psyche due to insanity or multiple personalities, being a Personification Of Evil or having trained very high mental discipline and/or another mechanism to block fear can neuter Vitality-based abilities. MK is a triple threat as he's nuts, has very high mental resistance due to his personas' constant battle for dominance, and one other thing...

Gods also have good defenses against Vitality damage. They typically suffer from extremes of bravery, pride and arrogance, which weakens fear's grip on their soul. They're also damn tough and tend to dismiss anything that isn't another God as a potential threat to them, and unlike other forms of attack underestimation also defangs Vitality-based critters.

Persephone has a couple of extra tricks up her sleeve. She's an inhabitant of the Underworld whether willing or not, and is inured to the suffering of souls and has gained great knowledge of the nature of the soul and how Hades' servant daemons control and torture them. Second, GoW Persephone is extremely nihilistic. That's the third catch, the one that immunizes MK as well: they aren't afraid of Death, and this neuters Fear as well. In one sweep it wipes away the very foundations for Vitality damage to take root in. Persephone wants to destroy creation, but ultimately what she lusts for is self-annihilation. How can you scare someone like that?!?

Persephone will see Freddie's attacks as the capering of a small child. All she has to do is literally sit there feeling very unimpressed - she won't be damaged by them and as she feels no fear from them Freddie's tanks will soon run dry, turning him from monstrous god into a pathetic squealing worm. And just as several other plucky challengers have managed to do, Persephone can rip his weakened form out of his realm and into hers, where its Game Over for poor ol' Fred.

Persephone FTW

• Advertisement

2 each. It appears the tide is turning...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I think the last two boys hit the nail on the head, especially Kess who turned the tide. I was thinking Persephone had nothing to trouble Freddie, but then Freddie has nothing to trouble Persephone, but while one will stay in neutral, the other will dwindle and become weak. Persephone to weaken Freddie with her indifference and then kill him when he's down.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Freddie IS a God in his realm. Incredibly creative and vindictive in his mental tortures, his only weakness in the Dream Realm would be a character mismatch.

And what a mismatch it is...

Fred relies entirely on Vitality-based abilities. He has tremendous damage output but he's there for one thing and one thing only - to terrify his opponent, recharging his own batteries off their terror, before he finally weakens them enough to eat their soul.

Problem is, while ripping out someone's soul cures a whole host of issues, it also has a whole host of issues. Being an unensouled revenant or undead, having a fractured psyche due to insanity or multiple personalities, being a Personification Of Evil or having trained very high mental discipline and/or another mechanism to block fear can neuter Vitality-based abilities. MK is a triple threat as he's nuts, has very high mental resistance due to his personas' constant battle for dominance, and one other thing...

Gods also have good defenses against Vitality damage. They typically suffer from extremes of bravery, pride and arrogance, which weakens fear's grip on their soul. They're also damn tough and tend to dismiss anything that isn't another God as a potential threat to them, and unlike other forms of attack underestimation also defangs Vitality-based critters.

Persephone has a couple of extra tricks up her sleeve. She's an inhabitant of the Underworld whether willing or not, and is inured to the suffering of souls and has gained great knowledge of the nature of the soul and how Hades' servant daemons control and torture them. Second, GoW Persephone is extremely nihilistic. That's the third catch, the one that immunizes MK as well: they aren't afraid of Death, and this neuters Fear as well. In one sweep it wipes away the very foundations for Vitality damage to take root in. Persephone wants to destroy creation, but ultimately what she lusts for is self-annihilation. How can you scare someone like that?!?

Persephone will see Freddie's attacks as the capering of a small child. All she has to do is literally sit there feeling very unimpressed - she won't be damaged by them and as she feels no fear from them Freddie's tanks will soon run dry, turning him from monstrous god into a pathetic squealing worm. And just as several other plucky challengers have managed to do, Persephone can rip his weakened form out of his realm and into hers, where its Game Over for poor ol' Fred.

Persephone FTW

You reading or thinking about MoonKnight when you typed this? :D

Kess73 wrote: »
    You reading or thinking about MoonKnight when you typed this? :D

I was wondering about that too :P

Persephone takes a narrow win.

The next battle will be posted shortly...

• Advertisement

Darth Vader
    Lord%2BDarth%2BVader%2Bdarthvader_wideweb__470x3650.jpg&sa=X&ei=bhnoTaKwF8GahQe67fSNAQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc4FA&usg=AFQjCNF5qqGg10SC2iHo_Lsq5WzXU7lkdQ

Versus

Mr. Black, the super Berserker Predator
    MrBlack2.jpg&sa=X&ei=YRroTaTdDJGLhQfJ2tmjAQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNHA_IU-z-WoMVxwR12vn6-9l-uWAg

@Darth Vader's Meditation Chamber
    Vaders_hallway-1.jpg&sa=X&ei=2RroTZmpCsiyhAe5kuWcAQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc4Ew&usg=AFQjCNH9LrFP4morCuae6vDavSu8EaJN0A

"A powerful Predator hunter is in search of an exceptionally powerful prey item. His journey inward on board the Star destroyer has been remarkably easy. He was expecting sterner opposition. He closes in on his prey..."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Much as I love Darth he not winning this fight. he against an opponent who is capable of ranged and close quarter battle tactics as well as equipped with an arsenal of surprises that would make Batman blush. In the end Mr. Black is leaving with a new trophy for his wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Since Darth Vader has a mechanical limb or two, Predator, what with his heat-vision based eyesight, would be somewhat hindered by the fact he can't clearly see Vader's lightsabre wielding arm.

A quick and crushing victory for the Sith lord.

One each

Interesting clash.

My gut instinct is to go with Vader.

Surely he would be able to sense the predator coming closer, and Vader's helmet comes equipped with the ability to see in differnt light spectrums, meaning that the Predator's ability to cloak is worthless.

Also Vader in full armour potentially may not give off an organic heat source due to what is left of him being well covered.

Plus Vader is a pretty damn good close quarter fighter not to mention his mastery of the force.

But if he is in his meditation chamber there is a good chance of him having his helmet off as well as a chunk of his armour, so if the Predator could breach the chamber before Vader gets his armour back on, Vader would die just from breathing regular air let alone the beath blow from the Predator.

But would Vader have a meditation chamber that is easy to breach in the event of him not sensing something coming?

I don't think so, so I am going to go with my gut and say that the Sith lord will have too much for the Predator if it comes down to a close quarters fight, but if Vader senses him coming from a distance the Predator won't even know what hit him as Vader uses the force to crush/choke/chuck out an airlock/hold prone or whatever he wants to ensure the Predator does not survive.

DV for the win.

Predators cloak does nothing since Vader can sense his presence with the force.

Any ranged attacks, well Vader will just deflect them with his lightsabre.

Up close Vader's skills would slice the Pred down, but he could just force grip him or knock him about with some force push.

Vader for a surprisingly straight forward win.

The power of the predator is insignificant next to that of the force.

On a Star Destroyer I don't imagine that a predator would be that easy to sense. He wouldn't leave enough of a trail to distinguish him from the thousands of humans that would be floating around. However even with this I can't see Vadars meditation chamber being that easy to get into unannouced and the one thing that a predator does tend to lack is covert subtlety in regards to stealing passes etc.

So therefore Vadar will be somewhat prepared and I think force choke might be enough to seal the deal. The only real worry there would be preds self destruct while being choked but I reckon a good force push will be enough to throw him enough so we can go back to choking the life out of him.

4-1 to Vader

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Think Vaders got this.

In a straight one up fight I think Pred'd have him, but Vader can deflect pretty much any long range fire, cloaking won't work on him, and at close range I doubt the pred would be able to both defeat Vader physically and beat off the random barrels and stuff which would no doubt be flying at him.

Vader ftw.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Few beat me to it :p If Black had done his research he'd have gone off hunting easier prey :D:P His plasma-based weapons are useless, as their projectiles have to be magnetically sheathed ("bottled") to retain cohesion in atmosphere, which renders them p!ss-easy for a blademaster to deflect with a magnetic weapon, plasma sword or beam sabre. And as those shots have a short but defined muzzle velocity and thus travel time if Black tries to get off a shot Vader will instinctively bounce it off his sabre right into Black's disgusting gob :D:P

Only other way to do it is up close. And there Black is definitively screwed.

After that its just a case of Vader hearing a digital ticking sound and deciding to Force-lob Black out the nearest airlock before the conveniently slow self-destruct goes off :p

Vader FTW

• Advertisement

6-1. Vader is victorious.

The next battle will be posted shortly...

The Punisher
    the_punisher.jpg&sa=X&ei=DePoTdPcIIiGhQfkzZiQDA&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEwjKwY6QYc1mnTgUGWnFbWAhkvtw

Versus

Hades
    God-of-War-III---Hades-psd45871.png&sa=X&ei=2uPoTYlhi7WEB5rEoY8M&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFm2kgNIFkbWMfei8273toKRGYwhg

Versus

Quan Chi
    versus.png&sa=X&ei=beToTemEKYGbhQfRxvmPDA&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNE7zbJxnL905-LmBUvex6YLzqW6sg

@The Punisher's Hideout
    1216486394Custom%2BFigures%2B002.jpg&sa=X&ei=q-ToTcyiFMaChQfcqr2PDA&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNHQiRP2HL5-FYvhtk8l42akCujPJA

The sorcerer Quan Chi has come to Earth realm with the intention of capturing the very potent soul of Frank Castle AKA The Punisher in order to start building a new army capable of conquering all of the realms. Using his dark magic he has procured the (unwilling) help of one very adept at stealing souls, Lord Hades himself!
    However, Quan Chi has overestimated his own abilities. Upon arriving at the Punisher's hideout Hades speaks aloud,
    "You weak pathetic fool, did you really think you, a mortal, could enslave a God? I played along with your little game only so you could release me from the Netherworld. Now both of your souls are mine!"

Frank is a hell of a man but he is just a man and very out of his depth here.

Quan Chi is a man that just pissed off a god. This god probably has some level of control over Quan Chi anyway because of the necromancy over the years.

I can't see anything other then total dominance by Hades. Perhaps keeping Quan Chi alive for a while to teach him some respect.

Lord Hades takes a 1-0 lead

Hades will allow Frank to play with a powerless Quan Chi. Afterwards for removing this irritant from his path Hades sends Frank off to the Elysian Fields to be with his family.

Hades would be like a buffalo swatting flies with his tail.

Shame Frank has to go out so easily but he and Quan Chi have no chance at all in this clash.

God against mortals. Quan Chi may speak of being an immortal, but he has died in the game and in the tv show so his claim is worthless against Hades.

Hades with the easiest of wins.

Quan Chi takes out Castle but tries his fancy **** with Hades who then obliterates him.

Hades for the simple win.

Hades wins 4-0

The next battle will be posted shortly

The Swarmlord
    1662313-swarmlord_super.jpg&sa=X&ei=ZafrTaTlINKHhQfgnpy6Bg&ved=0CAQQ8wc4FA&usg=AFQjCNFEdNq_OYL1z_UOtg0jN66CWFkt8Q

Versus

Hellboy
    hellboy.jpg

Versus

Raven
    raven.jpg&sa=X&ei=GanrTaaYKMWEhQfw1rS6Bg&ved=0CAQQ8wc4LQ&usg=AFQjCNH1AAc57K80kEo3EPJ4koZkviYJOQ

The Judgment of Carrion

"The Tyranids of sub sector Aurelia are a spent force. After losing their war against the Blood Ravens and subsequently having their broods on the Judgment of Carrion decimated during the fall out of the Chaos incursion of the sector few viable Tyranids remain.
    The heroes known as Hellboy and Raven have been sent to destroy what Tyranid eggs remain on board the Space Hulk. In a last ditch attempt at saving the Tyranid race in the sector from obliteration the Hive Mind, in desperation, has spawned it's greatest creation, the legendary Swarmlord in order to protect the brooding chambers.
    To make matters worse for the combatants, the demonic entities that inhabit the a cursed Space Hulk have begun scratching at their minds, driving them all into a blood frenzy..."

• Advertisement

I'm torn on this one, and I cannot decide if something is a deus ex machina or not.

It is regarded as canon within the series the character is from.

Hellboy cannot die. Death itself stated this more than once in the Hellboy comics. You can hurt him buy magical or conventional methods, you rip him asunder, but he simply cannot die no more than Death can die. It is all tied into the Right Hand Of Doom and it's ability to bring about the end of the world.

Same goes for Koschei in the Hellboy comics. He cannot die anymore than Hellboy can. They just keep coming back.

So if that is not taken as a deus ex machina, then Hellboy simply cannot lose as the other two can die.

If we are taking it as a deus ex machina, then I would favour the Swarmlord with it's method of being able to be recreated anytime it is destroyed with the new version getting all the memories and experiences of the fallen one.

The Swarmlord has only one real weakness, imho, but exploiting that weakness in order to prevent it from every comiong back is the hard bit. Basically the Hive Mind would have to be totally and utterly destroyed in order for it not to be able to create and keep recreating a new swarmlord time after time after time.

The only creature that could do this would need to be one that cannot die (see where I am going here and why I am undecided) and that can survive long enough to withstand the min in hive tyrant form, or the swarmlords it can produce in times of strees, or anything else that gets used.

So if Hellboy is truly deathless as Death claims he is, then Hellboy can eventually win this.

But if Hellboy can die and Death is a spoofer, then I see the Swarmlord as the winner here.

Raven may be powerful enough, but she is not in the league of the other two.

Hellboy ftw if no deus ex machina is judged to be in play by Galv, otherwise Swarmlord ftw.

EDIT: Ok based on what Galv said in the discussion thread I am going with Swarmlord. Swarmlord is a threat on a massive level and his/it's power levels are pretty much off the charts. Empathic powers are useless against him, and the amount of physical force needed to nut him is beyond Hellboy's imho as HB would be trying to avoid those blades as well as trying to do damage, and that level of power is certainly beyond Raven given that she has been beaten by far less powerful foes in the DC universe.

Swarmlord to slice and dice both his foes, and all that gets left behind is the Right Hand Of Doom, now inert due to HB being dead.

Advertisement