Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is 31 too old to start a martial art

• 18-04-2011 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

I would like to do Wing Chun kung fu

im living in celbridge so does anyone know the closest place to do this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

WIZE wrote: »

You're never too old

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

Hell no it's not too old :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

31 is not too old. But you may have to commute to Dublin to do wing chun. I know there is a good kenpo karate place in Celbridge, and I believe there is MMA in Maynooth. Not sure about anywhere else in North Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

not at all, your still young enough, just be careful where you go, theres a LOT of terrible martial arts clubs around the place, i wouldn't have a clue where you would do wing chun near celbridge though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

Closest club to you is in Blanchardstown...

http://www.wingtsun-blanchardstown.ie/

and NO...31 is NOT too old!!....

maguffin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Bujinkan

There is also a full time Bujinkan club in the Mill in Celbridge, details are on www.bujinkan.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I wish I was only 31 when I started training in Judo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Bujinkan wrote: »
    There is also a full time Bujinkan club in the Mill in Celbridge, details are on www.bujinkan.ie

I dont see Anything about Celbridge on the Site

Do you have a contact or what days it takes place in Celbridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

This is the link you need (it was on the 'find a dojo' part of the Bujinkan site)....

http://www.dwyerdojo.com/

Click the 'About Us' and it has details of the Mill classes.

maguffin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Massimo Giorgianni

Definitely not too old, especially for Wing Chun -

I am instructing in Dublin city center ( info at : http://wingtsun.webs.com/ ) but it might be a bit far.

You will find all Wing Chun clubs in the Home Page of the "Self Defence and Martial Art" link is : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055594734&page=12

Enjoy your trainings

Massimo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭garrybergin

Never too old mate

Look at Gerry O'Grady

Started Judo in his thirties, now is a black belt in Judo, blue belt in BJJ and European Champion.

Give it a go :)

Never too old mate

Look at Gerry O'Grady

Started Judo in his thirties, now is a black belt in Judo, blue belt in BJJ and European Champion.

And here folks (above) is the man who got me started in Judo in my mid-late 30's and now I'm 45 and knocking away at the points to my black belt.

Best of luck OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Never too old mate

Look at Gerry O'Grady

It kinda feels like I'm following Gerry... I've made the transition from Powerlifting to BJJ as well. Really loving it so far. Can totally see myself wanting to check out some judo in future too.

Hanley wrote: »
    It kinda feels like I'm following Gerry... I've made the transition from Powerlifting to BJJ as well. Really loving it so far. Can totally see myself wanting to check out some judo in future too.

Hanley . I read through your Powerlifting Thread a while ago which gave me the inspiration to get off my Ass

The beginners course for the Bujinkan Dwyer Dojo is Tuesdays & Thursdays from 7pm to 8pm. You can email them at info@dwyerdojo.com or call the number on their site!

I will do that today :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Hanley . I read through your Powerlifting Thread a while ago which gave me the inspiration to get off my Ass

Which one was that dude...? My training log or the report I did on my first submission grappling comp?

Glad I helped anyway!

It was your Training Log

Sorry that email should be marcus@dwyerdojo.com

Bujinkan wrote: »
    Sorry that email should be marcus@dwyerdojo.com

i called Marcus

Will meet him tomorrow and my course starts next tuesday:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Shotokan 1969

Started Karate 4years ago at 38. Going for my black belt later this year. You feel the knocks for a little bit longer and you will have to stretch for longer, but its great that you are taking up martial arts, no matter what style it is.

Good luck and hopefully in the next few years you'll be posting that you got your Black Belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

Never too old mate

Look at Gerry O'Grady

Cheers for mentioning that. I started Judo at 18: I'm now 22 and I was a bit worried because all the black belts I've ever seen have been training since they were nippers. It's nice to hear of success stories like that.

Cheers for mentioning that. I started Judo at 18: I'm now 22 and I was a bit worried because all the black belts I've ever seen have been training since they were nippers. It's nice to hear of success stories like that.

Oh don't let that put you off.

I started judo in my thirties, I'm 45 now and on my brown belt. And when I can I fit in some BJJ with Paul Cowzer and Andy Ryan.

Sure things get a little more difficult as you get older, but no less enjoyable.

And when an injury takes longer to heal it just gives me more time to study both!.

Advertisement