Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caught between flatmate and landlord

Options
  • 18-04-2011 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

I am in a house share with 3 other people. A girl is going to move out at the end of the month and is "using" her deposit to pay her last month's rent. (they are equal in value)

The landlord has asked (yesterday) the girl moving out to pay her last month's rent and she says she is going to do it in the next couple of days.

The landlord says that in the event the girl does not pay her last month's rent at all that he will not be liable for unpaid bills the girl leaves behind. (All the house bills are in my name.)

Is the landlord right, or is it his responsibility to be keeping a deposit that would cover any unpaid bills?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Do you each have a lease with the LL or did you rent the house together under one lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

If the bills are all in your name then you are libable for any shortfall, not the landlord. So make sure your flatmate pays her share when she leaves. I'd raise it with her now so she's under no illusion that she owes you.

Advertisement