Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Cot to Bed

Options
  • 18-04-2011 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Hey all.

Little fella is 2 years and 2 months old and has learned to climb out of the cot so I have taken one side off and put a bed rail there instead (to prevent anymore jail breaks) But it took 3 hours last night for him to go to sleep.(meaning it was after 10) and tonight we are now 1 hour and 15 min so far tonight.

He has not taking his nap the last 2 days and he is showing signs of tiredness, just he is not going to sleep. He gets out of the cot and runs around the apartment. We are just getting him by the hand and bringing him back in, and putting him back to bed and leave again without giving a reaction.

Has anyone got any ideas that they themselves used that makes the new routine easier for everyone??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Nope, keep up with the putting him back to bed, he'll get it eventually... Addison still hasn't and she's there a week today but we have the stair gate on her door so it's only a matter of her coming to the door and calling us not her running around the house...

Looking for some tips too!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

I've no experience here, but would a gro-bag restrict their movement enough to stop them getting out, or would it just pose as more of a danger?
    Funnily enough we've put a stairgate on our littleone's door also, she's just turned one, but we've made her room into a play room also so we have a safe space to pop her into if we have to leave her somewhere safe for any reason. She's hillarious, she closes the gate when she leaves the room!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

I'm interested in this too as our little one fell out of her cot a few weeks ago (she's tall, so the momentum leaning forward over rail meant she fell out - head first - ouch!) so we've had her in a travel cot since, dying to take rails off cot bed and but bed rail up but worried about what the OP is experiencing!! Looking forward to any tips also...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I think you're just gonna have to keep going 'Super Nanny' on their tiny little butts!

When they get out of bed, first time putting them back to bed say 'its bedtime darling', second time, just say 'bedtime' and after that no more communication.

Of course I have no experience but I've watched enough Super Nanny to know that this will be my plan when the time comes (very soon I imagine)

I've heard of having a bedtime bear also. Baby puts bear to bed, then baby goes to bed too. Make a big deal of bed time I suppose?

I dunno. I'm dreading it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

fi1979 wrote: »
    I've no experience here, but would a gro-bag restrict their movement enough to stop them getting out, or would it just pose as more of a danger?
    Funnily enough we've put a stairgate on our littleone's door also, she's just turned one, but we've made her room into a play room also so we have a safe space to pop her into if we have to leave her somewhere safe for any reason. She's hillarious, she closes the gate when she leaves the room!

What he is doing is leaning his weight onto his hands, then lifting himself up and leaning out, as chuchu said head first, up and over! The gro-bag would not prevent the problem.
    I think you're just gonna have to keep going 'Super Nanny' on their tiny little butts!

When they get out of bed, first time putting them back to bed say 'its bedtime darling', second time, just say 'bedtime' and after that no more communication.

Of course I have no experience but I've watched enough Super Nanny to know that this will be my plan when the time comes (very soon I imagine)

I've heard of having a bedtime bear also. Baby puts bear to bed, then baby goes to bed too. Make a big deal of bed time I suppose?

I dunno. I'm dreading it :eek:

Aidan is not speaking yet, so he is not 100% able to communicate anything going on. I am using that technique, but I cannot actually communicate it all to him, I really think that is half the problem.

But what can you do, only keep going at it. I was considering getting something like http://cgi.ebay.ie/New-Tots-Mind-Cozy-Crib-II-Tent-Child-Safety-Net-/350455056890?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5198bfc9fa#ht_2765wt_905

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

fi1979 wrote: »

On Sunday morning, junior and I were tucked up in bed reading his favourite books. I had to pop to the bathroom to answer a call of nature, but thought he'd be grand as he was tucked up in the grow bag and reading away. As I was washing my hands, I heard his little voice getting louder and louder and thought :confused:

Opened the bathroom door to see him shuffling along in the growbag with a big grin on his face...

If he figures out gravity when leaning over the cot we're rightly screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Tabnabs wrote: »
    On Sunday morning, junior and I were tucked up in bed reading his favourite books. I had to pop to the bathroom to answer a call of nature, but thought he'd be grand as he was tucked up in the grow bag and reading away. As I was washing my hands, I heard his little voice getting louder and louder and thought :confused:

Opened the bathroom door to see him shuffling along in the growbag with a big grin on his face...

If he figures out gravity when leaning over the cot we're rightly screwed.

Megan gets around everywhere in her gro-bag given half the chance. She's figured out how to take it off too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

ah well there goes the gro-bag theory then! and there was me thinking it would keep her at bay!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Luckily Bridget hasn't tried to climb out yet. She could - no problem as she is very tall for 2. I have a bed in the room but we call it her couch as I want her to stay in the cot until she is at least 18 :)

It's not even the going to bed part of a big bed that freaks me out it's the getting up when she likes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

D tried to climb out of the cot once and got stuck and scared so I explained that next time it happened she might fall on the floor and hurt herself.
    She never did it again.
    She has been in her big girl bed a few months now and no issues with her getting up at all but we did put a stair gate up just in case.
    Dreading potty training at night:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Moonbeam wrote: »
    D tried to climb out of the cot once and got stuck and scared so I explained that next time it happened she might fall on the floor and hurt herself.
    She never did it again.

And right there you have the difference between girls and boys. My DS would be responding 'yeah, yeah' to your warning as he was trying it yet again... :o

Our GP summed little boys up very well - they're morons.

It's true, but they're such great craic too :pac:

Advertisement