Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gypsy Rose pub, on the quays

Options
  • 18-04-2011 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Is it any use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Where on the Quays is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

It used to be the Viper rooms, it's a Metal/ Rock shop now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Is it any use?

Friday and Saturday night they have a band on downstairs from ten to midnight, with a DJ from midnight to 02:30.

All drinks are €4 until midnight, usual stuff.

More live music upstairs.

Its all on their facebook page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

The Gypsy is a decent rock/metal bar. Check out the acoustic gig on Monday nights. Good combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

IIRC, That place used to serve until 3.30 when it was the viper rooms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

It markets itself as a blues and rock bar but sometimes the music is terrible. I mean i've heard coldplay being played. Don't generally head in myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

What kind of live entertainment do they have down there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

sounds like a great pub:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

D wrote: »
    It markets itself as a blues and rock bar but sometimes the music is terrible. I mean i've heard coldplay being played. Don't generally head in myself.

aaaaagh didnt see this ....coldplay /shudders/

aaaaagh didnt see this ....coldplay /shudders/

I'd be very surprised if you'd hear Coldplay in The Gypsy to often.

Lots of Slayer, Megadeth, Sabbeth, Metallica etc played last night, but no Coldplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'd be very surprised if you'd hear Coldplay in The Gypsy to often.

Lots of Slayer, Megadeth, Sabbeth, Metallica etc played last night, but no Coldplay.

Was in there last Friday for first time. Being more of an indie man I was pretty nervous about walking up to the jukey to throw on some Stone Roses, etc....I thought the Who would be a nice transitional first choice to ease the regulars in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Right, no more beating around the bush from me:

My band plays a mixture of rockabilly, country, blues, rock.. Johnny Cash, Elvis, Steve Earle etc.. Acoustic guitar, electric guitar, standup bass, drums.

How would the regulars react to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I can see myself going up to one of the bouncers there and asking 'are you Degsy or Makikomi?' the next time I'm there locked :D

My band plays a mixture of rockabilly, country, blues, rock.. Johnny Cash, Elvis, Steve Earle etc.. Acoustic guitar, electric guitar, standup bass, drums.

I love all that stuff!.

LINKY for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Some of them might throw their hands in the air like they just don't care!

pithater1 wrote: »
    I can see myself going up to one of the bouncers there and asking 'are you Degsy or Makikomi?' the next time I'm there locked :D

Thread has just been cleaned up, it was getting cluttered with craic - sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Thread has just been cleaned up, it was getting cluttered with craic - sorry.

No worries man, feel free to delete as you please:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

In the gypsy last nite..very good sounds and a good atmosphere..much better that Fibbers on the quays where i had been earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jezzabelle

Been meaning to head in here some night. Someone mentioned €4 drinks? - is that Friday and Saturday night aswell?

Jezzabelle wrote: »
    Been meaning to head in here some night. Someone mentioned €4 drinks? - is that Friday and Saturday night aswell?

Yes, and that includes spirits with mixer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Does it open as late as the old Viper Rooms?

Used to be well handy for a late drink on the way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

stovelid wrote: »
    Does it open as late as the old Viper Rooms?

Used to be well handy for a late drink on the way home.

Don't think anywhere does anymore :confused:

Pal Joeys doesn't, the Gaeity doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Des wrote: »
    Don't think anywhere does anymore :confused:

Pal Joeys doesn't, the Gaeity doesn't.

I was stuck for a late drink on a Tuesday night recently and had to head to The Turk's Head on Parliament Street. It was either there or the Czech Inn.

I think 4 Dame Lane still opens late most nights but I hate that place. Sh*te music and really pricey booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Is it any use?

supposed to be the drinking hole of skinheads amongst others

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I was stuck for a late drink on a Tuesday night recently and had to head to The Turk's Head on Parliament Street. It was either there or the Czech Inn.

I think 4 Dame Lane still opens late most nights but I hate that place. Sh*te music and really pricey booze.

Yeah you'll get a late drink in the turks head and the czech inn..dame lane can go and get fcucked,i'd rather die of thirst.

You'll probably get a late one in Doyle's college st too although i havnt been in for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Fuinseog wrote: »
    supposed to be the drinking hole of skinheads amongst others

LOL Dublin Skinheads, Ive seen em they are a joke. Gypsy Rose is faaaar from a skinhead bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Maybe they were just balding gents!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

kona wrote: »
    LOL Dublin Skinheads, Ive seen em they are a joke. Gypsy Rose is faaaar from a skinhead bar.

are they fashion skins, left wing or right wing? They come in many shapes and forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Fuinseog wrote: »
    are they fashion skins, left wing or right wing? They come in many shapes and forms.

They go around with their shaved heads, combats, doc martins, threatening blacks in temple bar, writing graffiti, kinda funny as the impression I get off them is they were bullied in school and decided to fill a niche market:D

These are the younger lads maybe 21 and under, there are a few older ones that you wouldnt **** with, but thats neither here nor there, never ever ever seen any sort of skinhead issue in that bar, the net amount of hair in there is quite impressive tbh :p haha.

So to answer your question, without being 100% Id imagine they are right wing skin heads, never seen a commie skinhead:confused: they do come in many shapes and sizes (usually Medium to small) and I dont know about fashion skins, but since they have little function Id say yea :)

Gypsy is the more friendlier Rock Bar IMO, its more middle of the road that the others. Rarely see any type of trouble there, which is more than can be said for a another well known bar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

kona wrote: »
    never seen a commie skinhead:confused: they do come in many shapes and sizes (usually Medium to small) and I dont know about fashion skins, but since they have little function Id say yea :)

Original skins (of which there are some around) wouldn't be right-wing. Just into the original late-60s skin look and into ska and reggae music - sometimes scooters as well.

Advertisement