Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gypsy Rose pub, on the quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

stovelid wrote: »
    Original skins (of which there are some around) wouldn't be right-wing. Just into the original late-60s skin look and into ska and reggae music - sometimes scooters as well.

These are more the been watching too much american history X kind :) , although I have seen the older lads in the Mezz when they have the ska nights on, but I didnt realise they would have been left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

kona wrote: »
    They go around with their shaved heads, combats, doc martins, threatening blacks in temple bar, writing graffiti, kinda funny as the impression I get off them is they were bullied in school and decided to fill a niche market:D

These are the younger lads maybe 21 and under, there are a few older ones that you wouldnt **** with, but thats neither here nor there, never ever ever seen any sort of skinhead issue in that bar, the net amount of hair in there is quite impressive tbh :p haha.

So to answer your question, without being 100% Id imagine they are right wing skin heads, never seen a commie skinhead:confused: they do come in many shapes and sizes (usually Medium to small) and I dont know about fashion skins, but since they have little function Id say yea :)

Gypsy is the more friendlier Rock Bar IMO, its more middle of the road that the others. Rarely see any type of trouble there, which is more than can be said for a another well known bar.

I have yet to see a skin in Ireland, which is why I am curious. True skins are apolitical. The crowd in Temple Bar do not seem to know what they are about. I am surprised that they are tolerated if they are indeed aggressive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Who gives a shiite whether they're "right" or "left" wing ffs?

Its only a haircut,they can beleive what they want.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I have yet to see a skin in Ireland, which is why I am curious. True skins are apolitical. The crowd in Temple Bar do not seem to know what they are about. I am surprised that they are tolerated if they are indeed aggressive.

Exactley they are just dopes who watch too much american history X! They are aggressive in the way that bullys are aggressive, from what Ive seen of them in bars they are usually the less troublesome.

As Degsy says who gives a ****, I just thought it wasnt fair on the bar to be associated with the general perception of skinheads as the bar is not like that at all!

Exactley they are just dopes who watch too much american history X! They are aggressive in the way that bullys are aggressive, from what Ive seen of them in bars they are usually the less troublesome.

As Degsy says who gives a ****, I just thought it wasnt fair on the bar to be associated with the general perception of skinheads as the bar is not like that at all!

Good..now get on with the thread!!

NickyCrane.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

They go around with their shaved heads, combats, doc martins, threatening blacks in temple bar, writing graffiti, kinda funny as the impression I get off them is they were bullied in school and decided to fill a niche market:D

These are the younger lads maybe 21 and under, there are a few older ones that you wouldnt **** with, but thats neither here nor there, never ever ever seen any sort of skinhead issue in that bar, the net amount of hair in there is quite impressive tbh :p haha.

So to answer your question, without being 100% Id imagine they are right wing skin heads, never seen a commie skinhead:confused: they do come in many shapes and sizes (usually Medium to small) and I dont know about fashion skins, but since they have little function Id say yea :)

Gypsy is the more friendlier Rock Bar IMO, its more middle of the road that the others. Rarely see any type of trouble there, which is more than can be said for a another well known bar.

I'm a commie skin ;) and I drink in the Rose... maybe it was me??

boneless wrote: »
    I'm a commie skin ;) and I drink in the Rose... maybe it was me??

Dunno, Ive only ever seen one there before! so could well have been! haha, next well have screwdriver on the jukebox :p

I need a jack daniels haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Dunno, Ive only ever seen one there before! so could well have been! haha, next well have screwdriver on the jukebox :p

Ah, I wouldn't like that too much :p!! More into me blues and rock. I must say though, the Rose is a wee oasis in the area. Always a good atmosphere and I never saw any trouble there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Tis a great pub, usually drop in for a few drinks if I'm in town. Bar staff are good craic and the bouncers are all spot on.

Was in there on Thursday night, can't say I remember 100% of the night! As such, don't think I'ma gonna be showing my face in their anytime soon, apologies Mak!

Also there's two(I think) pool tables downstairs (I like my pool!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

It's a dirty kip. Staff are sound. Many of the clientele aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Hmm when you say dirty kip, how is it so?

Maddison wrote: »
    Hmm when you say dirty kip, how is it so?

The last time I was there the floor downstairs was sticky. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The last time I was there the floor downstairs was sticky. :pac:

Maybe you walked in dog crap on the way in.

And what was wrong with the punters?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

And most pub floors aren't sticky?? spilt pints=sticky floors...you dont get out much do ya?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I like it there, but maybe only because of its originality. There's a whiff of desperation around so many people trying to hard to be fashionable but in an alternative way. How alternative is is though when many look the same?

I saw a great gig downstairs in the place, but some fool tried to start a row with me, probably because I looked too mainstream for him. A bit of reverse snobbery? I get that vibe there too.

Bouncers there are bang on, great place too.

I like it there, but maybe only because of its originality. There's a whiff of desperation around so many people trying to hard to be fashionable but in an alternative way. How alternative is is though when many look the same?

I saw a great gig downstairs in the place, but some fool tried to start a row with me, probably because I looked too mainstream for him. A bit of reverse snobbery? I get that vibe there too.

What happened with the row, did you bring it to a member of staffs attention?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

What happened with the row, did you bring it to a member of staffs attention?.

Some really drunk eejit that was standing beside me kept trying to provoke me by repeatedly pushing me with his shoulder. He was super pissed so I just told him to f'off. That was the end of it.

And

Vids NOT filmed at the gypsey rose! :)

According to FB there's a brand new stage (downstairs) and sound set up.

Looking forward to seeing & hearing this.

• Advertisement

Maybe you walked in dog crap on the way in.

And what was wrong with the punters?.

Ah I had a grand night there once, even with the pinty floor, but I went another time with a cousin from out of town and the punters were a shower. One of them spat on my cousin (unprovoked). I suppose I shouldn't let one bad evening colour the place for me, but I do, I doubt I'll ever darken the door of it again. This is coming from a guy who used to frequent the old Fibber's. :)

Maddison wrote: »
    And most pub floors aren't sticky?? spilt pints=sticky floors...you dont get out much do ya?:p

Meh, if they're kips the floors are sticky, if they're not, the floors are usually kept clean but hey your mileage may vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

supposed to be the drinking hole of skinheads amongst others

the vast majority of skinheads in dublin are like 15-17 and as someone else pointed out absolute jokes, the 10 year old knackers you see walking around are rougher than they are and they all drink in fibbers on parnel street.

Ah I had a grand night there once, even with the pinty floor, but I went another time with a cousin from out of town and the punters were a shower. One of them spat on my cousin (unprovoked). I suppose I shouldn't let one bad evening colour the place for me, but I do, I doubt I'll ever darken the door of it again. This is coming from a guy who used to frequent the old Fibber's. :)

You should have reported it to the bouncers, according to people in this thread theyre (the bouncers) "sound".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

supposed to be the drinking hole of skinheads amongst others

Define skinhead. There are nazis and then there are skinnheads. The nazis jumped on the punk band wagon with the whole sex pistols swastika shirt ****, but then settled on the skinhead look. It was hijacked by the *****.

Skinheads are not all nazis.

Get it right before generalising.

dregin wrote: »

Is it necessary to be so aggressive about it?.

We run a nice chilled out forum here, shalom.

We run a nice chilled out forum here, shalom.

:pac:

dregin wrote: »
    Define skinhead. There are nazis and then there are skinnheads. The nazis jumped on the punk band wagon with the whole sex pistols swastika shirt ****, but then settled on the skinhead look. It was hijacked by the *****.

Skinheads are not all nazis.

Yea but to the general public reading this, Skinhead = Nazi. Then they tell their mates its a Nazi Bar, then it becomes something its not.

Sure if skinheads were nazis, then Daviid Beckham and Roy Keane were at one stage, hell even I was!

You obviously didnt go often, Fibbers was a real Dump last year, they are renovating and has gotten some form of class. Although its still waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more aggro and full of muppets than Gypsy. You can have a quiet pint in gypsy, you cant in fibbers, its just got some weird aggro Buzz to the place.

• Advertisement

Sure if skinheads were nazis, then Daviid Beckham and Roy Keane were at one stage, hell even I was!

I've a skinhead too :cool:

Advertisement