Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice/c&c please ?

• 18-04-2011 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭

Hi all, there's this fairy tree I like that's very close to me, I can walk there anytime. I took test shots quickly the other day, the light was good, but I took them from the road and with my not-so-good kit lens, and not too bothered mood.

So I want to go back, and do "proper" shots if I can, but don't know quite what to do. Do you think I should "face" the hole in the trunk ? Take the whole tree, part of the tree ? There is a hedge about 3 to 4 metres right across from the hole so it doesn't leave me much scope, and if I position myself there, I am ruling out chances of having a bunny in the pic as there was below (I think they must live in there). Do you think there's enough interest, without the bunny ? I'd love to make it look as if little fairies could be living in there, make it "mystical" or something.

Any suggestions very welcome.

5632174266_0d9e561c0e.jpg
    bunny tree by mountainsandheather, on Flickr
    5631614629_b0c688d127.jpg
    fairytree by mountainsandheather, on Flickr

Thanks !

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

light is quite hard, i think it would look nice at sunset maybe?, pop a wee light source inside and diffuse it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

This was close to sunset, it's not very well situated for light, on the side of a mountain, with hill at back, so if I wait much longer than 6ish the sun will be down behind another mountain. Sunrise would light it from the back.

The light from inside is a brilliant idea ! It's got me thinking anyway :)

edit : I've just downloaded and checked on the Photographer's Ephemeris, and it looks like sunrise would hit the tree just on the side where the Bunny is, so morning looks like a good time, or what do people think ?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I think it would look mystical if there was due on the ground, maybe the sun sparkling off the dew.

I would probably take it from a different angle so the dark mountain wasn't behind it.

Would probably look good if the was some daisies around the rabbit hole but I doubt you want to plant some. :pac: Maybe if you took some and positioned them around the opening?

Another great idea ! how come I can't come up with these ideas ? :D
    I've got primroses and daisies galore in my garden, so I could bring a few and position them (hopefully they'll hold sort of).

The hill at the back is unavoidable, with a push I could outline the tree against the sky, but the angle is not so good anymore for the hole. To the right of the pic it's uphill all the way (and not so great scrub if I remember well).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a good mizzly day would do wonders for that tree too; the light might have been good, but maybe it's not the best for that tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Hire a fog machine! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

How about waiting for darkness and doing some light painting on it?

thanks all, I've now got loads of ideas to try out, that is, if I can get everything together and the time to do it.

Kelly1, great idea, but to be practical I guess I could just light up a few fags (mind you, I've quit smoking !) and leave them smoke up the entrance to the hole. Not sure I'll go that far though.:pac:

Magicbastarder, you're probably right, I don't know really. I like the light hitting it, but for a bit of mystery, you'd want a more interesting atmosphere than super sunshine. I'm not sure if early mornings are misty at the moment.

Dave66, I thought of that, but for evening even, if I could get a great (nearly night) sunset, then I could just "fill" in with a bit of light painting. Also, I do have a flash that I've never used, with a light sphere type diffuser I just received last week... that might be the occasion to try them out, would have to wait for a darker (rainy ?)day though, and I would have to figure how to get a teeny tiny bit of light for the front... don't know if I'd be able to pull it off.
    Don't normally like flash outside like that, but I am thinking of something a bit fancy this time, that would be an experience.

Thks again for the advice, went today but it was a bit too early, and too bright, and I got nervous about going in the field what with having to open a heavy gate, and not having had a chance to talk to the farmers (who'd make no problem whatsoever about it since they're friends and neighbours), and the calves in there (I could see the headlines in local paper "French woman stampeded by month old calves"), I got all hot and bothered (not in a good way) and really messed up my shots. :o
    I didn't have a light to put inside the trunk, or daisies or primroses, or fog machine... only one lens...
    I really messed up the exposure...
    But I messed around with the least bad in Gimp, and got that one, and even though it's not great, I sort of like it, for a start.
    But some day I will get a good shot, and I'll stop bothering you with these attempts right now :o:)
    thanks again !
    5639099442_6c7f729f49_z.jpg
    fairy tree by mountainsandheather, on Flickr

Advertisement