Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optimizing my new website!

Options
  • 18-04-2011 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all, Phil here from bigprinting.ie

We run a Print firm and are located in Blessington Co. Wicklow. My website is www.bigprinting.ie and have had some success since starting. We offer free delivery nationwide and I feel should people become aware of the service we offer, it will take off as the prices we offer hit well below the other 'big Irish printers'. All customers so far have been extremely happy.

When I type my business name 'big printing' into google I am first on the list however I can't even find my website when I just type 'printing' into the search bar. I realize that few will find my website as not many will search for 'big printing'.

Would anyone be able to recommend how I can get my website on the first page in Google if I was to just type 'printing'?

Appreciate it guys!,

Thanks,
    phil@bigprinting.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Hi all, Phil here from bigprinting.ie

We run a Print firm and are located in Blessington Co. Wicklow. My website is www.bigprinting.ie and have had some success since starting. We offer free delivery nationwide and I feel should people become aware of the service we offer, it will take off as the prices we offer hit well below the other 'big Irish printers'. All customers so far have been extremely happy.

When I type my business name 'big printing' into google I am first on the list however I can't even find my website when I just type 'printing' into the search bar. I realize that few will find my website as not many will search for 'big printing'.

Would anyone be able to recommend how I can get my website on the first page in Google if I was to just type 'printing'?

Appreciate it guys!,

Thanks,
    phil@bigprinting.ie

Hey mate,

I suggest for starters you take a look at some resources online on SEO. A good start would be the SEOmoz guide to SEO - should just pop up on Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

+1 to SEOmoz

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭theshamu

Congrats on the success of the business so far.

There are two types of seo, on-site and off site. If you want google to pick up your site your going to have to do some serious on-site seo. Google has changed it's process of ranking sites now, basically the more useful information you have on your site that relates to the products you are selling the better the chances are of google picking you up. Google can also tell the difference between good and bad content so the better your content the better your chances of ranking.

As the lads said, check out SEOmoz guide to seo for tips.

Best of luck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Hey big printing,

Any discounts for boardsies?

Also, what would be the turnaround on dl flyers, full colour Inc delivery to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

This article might be of some help: http://blog.blacknight.com/seo-for-dummies.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Thread moved from Entrepreneurial and business management forum to Internet Marketing/SEO. You should get better responses there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BigPrinting

thanks for the helpfull replies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Its kind of more art than science I think. After much struggle I have got my site on to the first page of the term, funny Irish T-shirts ( I think), Its only got about 3000 searches a month but I found even to get there quite tough.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Here’s my quick take on the site:
    I think the design is great, I’d be inclined to, for absolute clarity, change the font colour/background as they are a little too similar. Plus I’d up the font size a few notches.
    If you’d intent on using the slider – make more of it –more info, function over form.
    All your page titles are the same, that’s a no-no. You have to have different titles and make use of that space as it’s good.
    Your H1’s are messed up – and possibly confusing the fcuk out of spiders. You only one h1 on the home page and it’s wrapped in your logo (I’d change that). Spiders cant ‘read graphics’
    But as well – the “alt” for that logo, which is being picked up, is ‘travel guide’.
    Emm, I thought we were in the printing game!!
    As a priority get some analytics tacking on your site – it may come across a Greek now, but it will stack up in the long run. It will also begin to tell you a lot about your site.
    Longer term I’d be looking at a page for each string to the bow (with properly formed urls, H1 and, most importantly – decent copy). Each page should have example of that particular work, perhaps a template for specs, production specifications – prices, Delivery – The Free delivery! etc etc etc. It’s not crap – its valuable information to the punter.
    Put your address in the footer (if you can).
    Hope those quick pointers steer you in the right direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You are late to market and there is an awful lot of SEO competition, not just from your direct competitors, but also from the indirect SEO competition like graphic designer(s) and other companies who also deal with printing. So you need to get to the top of the game, fast.

Website marketing and SEO are not something which most get right without a lot of experience and/or guidance. Here's some free advise to help you on your way:

Only use the slider on the homepage. I would actually advise you drop it entirely as it has poor impact and put your special offers and free delivery in there as something like 2 side-by-side static panels or star badges under a printing related keyword phrase in heading 1 (one h1 per page only). Putting words like welcome, about us etc. as headings is wasting the effect of using headings for SEO- they are dead words for SEO, nobody uses them for searching.

Vary titles as blue4ever says (read that review carefully). Use your meta description to describe each page properly. It's currently empty.

One of your other problems is having BigPrinting as one word. Google views it as one word. Using it in a domain name is fine as Google will parse that into separate words but does not do this for body text. You could use css to separate the 2 but display them together.

Your navigation text is all list items, even having them as strong would be better. Even better would be using key phrases such as your product selections as h2's on pages like the products page.

Prices info should be in a table an not as text. Rule of thumb is to mainly keep text as text unless a graphic treatment is required/desired which is not the case for prices.

Use strong more for keywords and phrases.

The Most Popular Products mainly only have one line or link to the contact page. You should use these pages much better with samples and client endorsements. More relevant content on these pages equals more SEO juice.

Use fully descriptive filenames: complimentary_slips.html not comp.html, flyers_and_leaflets.html not flyers.html.

You need to backlinks, so sSubmit to local business directories. There are plenty listed in the Web section here and the Enterprise, Ent and Biz forum, many of them free. Also think about offering a discount for a backlink depending on the client type.

Other notes:
    • Don't put the slider on every page, only the homepage. Or remove as already suggested.
    • Put map and postal address on contact page.
    • Your printing tags don't link to anything.
    • Your horizontal nav always has the Home link highlighted when it should be the current page.
    • Your logo should link to the homepage, not to '#', meaning you can drop Home link from horizontal nav.
    • As a printer you should appreciate the use of contrast in text blocks, so stop using washed out grey text. Use more contrast on the search box. Contrast is your users' friend (qed).
    • You could have client feedback (as above).
    • Where's your RBN?
    • Your search function doesn't exist, not even a proper form. Your site is straightforward enough not to need it anyway if you provide more and better content and a sitemap.
    • Put About Us as the second last item in the nav order.
    • The design is nice and simple but a bit too basic. Bar the slider, there are no graphics on the site at all. So stick some in to spruce up the look and use the alt attribute for each image.
    • Get the first stages right before thinking about a shop.
    • Compare your efforts with your competitors.
    • You have prices.html and prices.html.html - fix that and the links.
    • No 404 page found.
    • Redo the layout of your contact page input fields and make them line up properly. Style the buttons
    • I filled out the contact form, pressed send and was dumped on to the homepage. Put a successfuly sent page there with links back into the site (remarketing). Also I put in an invalid email address which was allowed when it should be flagged.

dinners ready, hope that helps and happy hunting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

As all of the following are your main products:

Flyers/Leaflets
    Posters Menus
    Complimentary Slips
    Letterheads
    Business Cards
    Brochure
    Labels
    Stickers
    Outdoor Banners
    Door Plates
    Roll-Up Stands
    Outdoor Signs
    Calendars

Google each one of them, see who the highest rankers are and see if you can learn from them.

A lot of work - I know!

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 study68

+1 for seomoz and also i recommend visit seobook website. there is a lot material but follow the basic guidelines. plus suggested info in this thread.

Paul

website design dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

403.14 - Forbidden: Directory listing denied.
    The Web server is configured not to display a list of the contents of this directory.

????

Advertisement