Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub-5hr Gaelforce West Log

• 18-04-2011 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

As the title says, I want to do a training log that will help me achieve a sub-5hr GW time this year, previous GW times were 5:50 in 2009 (first adventure race so very happy to beat 6 hr mark), 6:40 in 2010 (sprained ankle 6 weeks before race coming down Croagh Patrick on a practice run so training was confined to cardio in gym).

Training on the road since January but covered way too much distance too soon and was always training at full intensity, no recovery/low-intensity runs.A as a result got totally exhausted and got bad shin splints in my right leg about 4 weeks ago and haven't trained much since except for some cardio in the gym and the odd cycle.

Current stats
    Height: 6.0ft
    Weight: 76kg

Fastest running times for 2011
    5k 26:32 (Training run Mar 12)
    10k 57:27 (CastleDaly charity run Jan 29)
    Half Marathon 2:09:23 (Training run Mar 13)

I've done a bit of research and come up with a training plan that will initially be a mixture of various intensity running/cycling/core work and some swimming thrown in, not the best swimmer so I want to work on my technique so I will include these sessions. This plan will also be mini-plan for the Connemara Adventure Challenge in 3 weeks. I will be adding some hill running sessions and some brick sessions in a couple of weeks.

I will be using a heart rate monitor for the running/cycling to ensure that I do not go all out at full intensity in every session and end up getting exhausted or injured again.

Open to criticism of plan or advice especially on how to incorporate some hill running.

Week 1 (Start off slow)
    Monday
    Type: Recovery
    Time: 40 mins
    Easy paced 40 mins run

Tuesday
    Type: Benchmark Run
    Distance: 10k
    Run 10k at best pace

Wednesday
    Time: 60 mins
    Stength/core workout

Thursday
    Type: Bike (60-70% effort)
    Time: 90 mins
    Steady ride 90 mins

Friday
    Type: Run (60-70% effort)
    Time: 75 mins
    Steady run 75 mins

Saturday
    Rest day

Sunday
    Type: Bike (50-60% effort)
    Time: 120 mins
    Hilly route, seated on climbs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

Monday
    Time: 40 mins
    Easy paced 40 mins run

Distance: 6.45k
    Time: 50.05
    Avg pace: 7.46
    Outdoor run

This run will be a recovery run each week at an easy pace...

Very easy run that I wanted to take slow as it was my first road run since the shin splints, I also wanted to see could I keep my heart rate steady and not run too hard. Found it very hard not to tear of and run at full pace given the weather but managed to keep heart rate at a steady cardio level, felt like I was running on the spot for most of the run.

Tomorrow: 10k run at best pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Best of luck!! Hopefully I can steal plenty of training tips off you!

LaHaine wrote: »
    Best of luck!! Hopefully I can steal plenty of training tips off you!

Thanks, the first week seems fairly straight forward when written down but the intensity will pick up fairly quickly...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

best of luck with the training mate!! like la haine i will be stealing all the helpful info i can get!!

Tuesday
    Type: Benchmark Run
    Distance: 10k
    Run 10k at best pace

Distance: 10.04k
    Time: 1:02:36
    Avg pace: 06.13
    Outdoor run

Nice run this afternoon in blistering sunshine, ran from Blackrock in Salthill along the prom, out by the causeway to Nimmo's Pier and back again with a bit extra to make up the 10k. Tried to pace myself at the start because of the heat and probably went a bit too slow as I found the run comfortable towards the end, happy with the run as it's my first longish run in over a month and my breathing felt under contol the whole way, so probably not a best pace 10k today. Had a quick dip in the bay to cool my legs after the run which worked wonders. Like running the long runs as you can enjoy yourself, need to speed up a bit though so have to really focus on the interval training during this plan, although endurance is the overall goal not speed.

Tomorrow: Stength/core workout

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    Stength/core workout

Hit the gym today for a recovery session, saw this Core Training Plan recommended on a thread here somewhere so going to stick with it for a while, never really done any core training before except for football training years ago.

15 exercises in the core plan x 15 reps

Also did some strength training…

Seated leg press 3 x 15 reps
    Seated leg curl 3 x 15 reps
    Leg extensions 2 x 15 reps
    Shoulder press 2 x 15 reps
    Chest press 2 x 10 reps
    Pulldown 2 x 15 reps
    Calf lifts 2 x 15 reps

Cooled down in the pool afterwards, completed 8 x 25m slow lengths

Tomorrow: Steady ride 90 mins

Thursday
    Type: Bike (60-70% effort)
    Steady ride 90 mins

Distance: 44.09k (gym kilometres)
    Avg speed: 29.4kph
    Stationary bike ride

Got a bit tough for the last half an hour as the back of my knees/hamstrings got a bit sore, managed to keep it at a steady pace though with an average heart rate of 141 (60-70% target heart rate is 137-151)

Tomorrow: Steady run 75 mins

well that core workout looks really good, think i've found the first piece of info to ''borrow'' of you!! great log keep it up

Friday
    Type: Run (60-70% effort)
    Time: 75 mins
    Steady run 75 mins

Change to the plan yesterday, decided to head up to Westport and cycle some of the route and take in Croagh Patrick instead of the running. Cycled from Westport to the foot of CP along the fire road, took it easy up CP in about 50 minutes, very windy and cloudy up there, came down in about 25 minutes but turned my ankle (again) just before the zig zag on some soft bog, same ankle and same type of ground as last year. Luckily today was scheduled as a rest day, I wouldn't mind but I had a good ankle support from last years injury that helps prevent turning a previously injured ankle but it never even entered my head to use it. Very sore walking today but plenty ice and elevation should sort it out in a couple of days, definitely no running this week!! Should still be able to do all the cycling planned, I'll just replace the running with static rowing sessions and up the swimming time in next weeks plan.

Distance cycled: 37k
    Distance climbed: 640m up, 640m down

Tomorrow: Cycle a hilly route 120 mins

Sunday
    Hilly route, seated on climbs

Distance: 55.32k
    Time: about 2 and a half hours
    Outdoor cycle on a hybrid with semi-slick tyres

Long slow spin starting near Roscam...headed out by Salthill, An Spideal and then back to the city through Moycullen. Ankle was still a bit tender today but I'd say I'll be able to do some treadmill running later in the week.

Tomorrow: Recovery on the rowing machine

• Advertisement

Week 2 (Amended 'no running' week)
    Monday
    Time: 50 mins
    Easy paced 50 mins rowing

Tuesday
    Type: Interval Cross Training (80%+ effort)
    Time: 65 mins
    10 mins easy paced warm-up, 5 x 1.5k, 90 sec recovery, 10 mins easy paced warm-down

Wednesday
    Strength/core workout

Thursday
    Type: Bike (75% effort)
    Time: 80 mins
    Bike 30 mins warm-up, 3 x 8mins, 2 mins recovery, 20 mins warm-down

Friday
    Type: Brick Bike/Cross Trainer (60-70% effort)
    Bike 90 mins into 30 mins cross trainer

Saturday
    Rest day

Sunday
    Hilly route, work all the climbs hard

Monday
    Time: 50 mins
    Easy paced 50 mins rowing

Gym closed early so went to the pub instead...

Tuesday
    Type: Interval Cross Training (80%+ effort)
    Time: 65 mins
    10 mins easy paced warm-up, 5 x 1.5k, 90 sec recovery, 10 mins easy paced warm-down

No training today either, too much on...might do a cardio workout tomorrow instead of the strength/core session due to missing the last two sessions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MN8

Hi - what splits are you aiming for to get sub 5 hours? I've never done an adventure race and trying to get an idea of pacing. Thanks

MN8 wrote: »
    Hi - what splits are you aiming for to get sub 5 hours? I've never done an adventure race and trying to get an idea of pacing. Thanks

I think I have estimated splits somewhere from last year, I'll have a look later...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

KoemansCC wrote: »
    I think I have estimated splits somewhere from last year, I'll have a look later...

This would be a great help to me too if you could find it. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Hi-I did GFW last year in a modest 6.07. I was new to this sort of thing and a lot went wrong, i won't bore you with the details. This year I'm improving and am pretty confident of 5.30 both my hugely ambitious target is 5 hours also. I'll be following this with interest. I'd also be interested in hearing your target splits. My splits from last year are still stuck on the fridge:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Best of luck with it. Did a 7hr in 2009, a 6hr 2min in 2010 and now this year I am aiming for a 5.30 so I am looking at your training with interest.

Hope it goes well for you.

These are the splits I think someone should be aiming at to complete a sub-5, obviously people will be better at some disciplines and worse on others so this is only a guide.
    Stage 1: Beach, Trail and Road Run            01:12:41
    Stage 2: Kayaking across Killary Harbour      00:10:10
    Stage 3: Trail and Road Run                   00:18:11
    Stage 4: Cycling                              01:36:52
    Stage 5: Mountain Run/Hike        Up          00:40:42
                                      Down        00:22:56
    Stage 6: Cycling                              00:36:41

Total time                                    04:58:13

I calculated these from last years results, I picked the first result that was below the five hour mark and then choose 10 complete results either side (I omitted results that had a time missing), I then choose the median time for each event and totaled to get the overall time.

There are some challenging splits here, I could probably do each one in isolation but when they’re completed together it’s a different story.

Wednesday
    Strength/core workout

Completed the usual Core Training Plan, 15 exercises in the core plan x 15 reps...

Also completed 75 minutes on the treadmill (avg HR 70% of max)...didn't record time or pace but ankle felt OK to run on, I'll probably limit all the running to the treadmill until after the Connemara Adventure Challenge next week...

Tommorrow: Bike Interval Training

• Advertisement

These are the splits I think someone should be aiming at to complete a sub-5, obviously people will be better at some disciplines and worse on others so this is only a guide.

I calculated these from last years results, I picked the first result that was below the five hour mark and then choose 10 complete results either side (I omitted results that had a time missing), I then choose the median time for each event and totaled to get the overall time.

There are some challenging splits here, I could probably do each one in isolation but when they’re completed together it’s a different story.

those splits are near identical to me last year, very realistic, if you are not in the first 2 waves you might think about pushing your'e first run a little more as you could recover at the timeout for the kayak's, just a taught,every little bit counts!! best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Sub 5hr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen you run, you might aswell give up now.:D

Thursday
    Type: Bike (75% effort)
    Time: 80 mins
    Bike 30 mins warm-up, 3 x 8mins, 2 mins recovery, 20 mins warm-down

Distance: about 35-40k I think, equipment resets itself after 60 minutes
    Speed: 25-30kph
    Stationary gym bike

Warm-up, warm down completed at 60% effort, each rep completed at 75% effort, recovery completed at <60% effort...

Tomorrow: Brick Bike/Run

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    Sub 5hr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen you run, you might aswell give up now.:D

I was wondering when you'd show up, did you just recover from the spin last Friday?

Went out for a cycle & run on Monday. Did 35k on the bike, went well, felt great so I got stuck into the 6k loop from my house. Was half way round when I had to pack it in. Asthma really flared up. I actually cut through the fields to take a straight line home, didn't think I'd make it round the full way. Half expected a local farmer to take a pot shot at me for bothering his cattle.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Fair play, that's an excellent analysis. hats off to you for this scientific approach. I'll find this most helpful when I start training proper. Reading your log I notice that you do a lot of running on the treadmill as well as a lot of gym work. Why so? For me, and i expect many others, the best part of training is getting out in the open air. do you think the controlled environment of the gym is more condusive to your measured, analytic approach? And how do you motivate yourself to put in so many disciplined sessions?

snailsong wrote: »
    I notice that you do a lot of running on the treadmill as well as a lot of gym work. Why so?

Nothing scientific about it, just wanted to get off the road for a bit after I got the shin splints, ran on the road for a constant 3 months between January and March, didn't join the gym until about 4 weeks ago...not a huge fan of the treadmill as I always think I run slower on it for some reason.

I also work night shift Wednesday, Thursday and Friday so I find it easier to just hit the gym before work rather than just heading out the door for a session...the other days it's easier to jump on the bike or go for a longish run...

.......I also work night shift Wednesday, Thursday and Friday so I find it easier to just hit the gym before work rather than just heading out the door for a session...the other days it's easier to jump on the bike or go for a longish run...

You mean to say that you're writing up your log when you are supposed to be working:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Friday
    Type: Brick Bike/Run Cross Trainer (60-70% effort)
    Bike 90 mins into 30 mins run cross trainer

Bike
    Distance: 33.38k
    Time: 01:29:55
    Avg Speed: 22.7k/h
    Avg HR: 64% of Max

Run
    Distance: 3.62k
    Time: 00:23:55
    Avg Pace: 06:37m/k
    Avg HR: 80% of Max

Good session in hot weather, felt really comfortable on the bike, it was well within my comfort zone and well within the 60-70% target zone for the session. The real training started when I got off the bike and started to run, real heavy/jelly legs, felt like I was carrying a fully packed backpack with a full hydration bladder. Felt very hot and dehydrated after the cycle so called it a day with 6 minutes left, before I would have kept going to the target 30 minutes and I think thats where I was damaging myself. Heart rate was very high for the run too but I hope that was down to the heat/dehydration...calves a bit tender tonight.

Tommorrow: Rest day Pave the back garden

Sunday: Long bike spin

• Advertisement

Sunday
    Hilly route, work all the climbs hard

Distance: 56.25k
    Time: 02:37:15
    Avg Speed: 21.5 k/h
    Max Speed: 40 k/h
    Avg HR: 60% of max
    Max HR: 85% of max
    Outdoor cycle on a hybrid with semi-slick tyres

Same route as last Sunday (Roscam-An Spideal-Moycullen-Roscam), tough cycle in very windy weather, especially the bit between An Spideal and Moycullen, very open Connemara landscape with no shelter. I felt very tired for the last few k, especially as I forgot to bring my bottle, so very thirsty at the end.

Tomorrow: Recovery run

Advertisement