Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub-5hr Gaelforce West Log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

Week 3 (Connemara Adventure Challenge Build Up Week)
    Monday:
    Type: Recovery
    Time: 50 mins
    Easy paced 50 mins run

Tuesday:
    Type: Interval Run (80%+ effort)
    Time: 65 mins
    10 mins easy paced warm-up, 10 x 3mins (hard), 90 sec recovery, 10 mins easy paced warm-down

Wednesday:
    Time: 60 mins
    Strength/core workout

Thursday:
    Type: Swim
    Time: 45 mins
    Easy swim to work on technique

Friday:
    REST DAY
    Race registration

Saturday:
    Type: Race
    Connemara Adventure Challenge

Sunday:
    Time: 30 mins
    Easy paced 30 mins run

Monday:
    Easy paced 50 mins run

Distance: 8.56k (Outdoor run)
    Time: 00:56:13
    Avg Pace: 06:34
    Avg HR: None
    Max HR: None

Probably went a small bit harder than I should have for a recovery run but hadn't run any proper distance outdoors for a while so wanted to test the water a bit...no heart rate readings, forgot my chest strap...

Tomorrow: Interval running

Tuesday:
    10 mins easy paced warm-up, 10 x 3mins (hard), 90 sec recovery, 10 mins easy paced warm-down

Distance: Just under 10k (Treadmill run at 1% incline)
    Time: 1:05:02
    Avg Pace: 05:00 (intervals only)
    Avg HR: 78% of max (intervals only)
    Max HR: 91% of max (intervals only)

That felt like a real workout, felt a bit like controlled discomfort towards the end of each interval (strolled each recovery), effort was just below the 80% so have to push a bit harder the next time...

Tomorrow: Recovery strength/core workout

Wednesday:
    Strength/core workout

Did the usual core workout (15 reps by 15 exercises) but at home instead of the gym so didn't have access to the weights equipment...only took about 35 minutes, have to really put in the full hour if I want to see results in 3 months...

Thursday:
    Type: Swim
    Time: 45 mins
    Easy swim to work on technique

No motivation at all today, only did about 6 or 7 lengths...spent about 30 minutes in the jacuzzi/sauna though so that should relax me for the race on Saturday :)

Tommorrow: REST DAY/Race registration

Saturday: Connemara Adventure Challenge

Saturday:
    Type: Race
    Connemara Adventure Challenge

Target for the race was below 3 hours, completed it in 02:57:21 so pretty happy with that. Best leg was definitely the 8k off road section of the cycle leg, was mostly downhill and a bit technical but overtook a load of others so a real confidence booster. Worst leg was the off-road section of the last running leg to the finish line, had nothing left in the tank at that stage and had to walk most of the uphill parts, nice downhill run to the finish line though.

An improvement in stamina should help for the later legs of races and that will hopefully come with this training plan, next planned race is the Connemara Rough Diamond in 4 weeks.

Sunday:
    Time: 30 mins
    Easy paced 30 mins run

Nothing done today as still fairly tired from the race.

Tomorrow: Easy paced 50 mins recovery run

• Advertisement

Week 4 (Tougher week, increase in running time)
    Monday:
    Type: Active recovery
    Easy paced 50 mins run

Tuesday:

Wednesday:
    Strength/core workout

Thursday:
    Type: Interval Bike (75% effort)
    Time: 95 mins
    Bike 30 mins warm-up, 3 x 12mins (75%), 3 mins recovery, 20 mins warm-down

Friday:
    Type: Brick Bike/Run (75-85% effort)
    Time: 120 mins
    Bike 90 mins (pick-up pace for final 30 mins) into run 15 mins (75%) into run 15 mins (75-85%)

Saturday:
    REST DAY

Sunday:
    Type: Run (60-70% effort)
    Time: 90 mins
    Easy paced 30 mins into 45 min (60-70%) into easy paced 15 mins.

Monday:
    Easy paced 50 mins run

Distance: 6.15k (Treadmill run at 1% incline)
    Time: 00:50:15
    Avg Pace: 08:15
    Avg HR: 65% of max
    Max HR: 75% of max

Very easy paced recovery run, legs still felt very heavy after Saturday but HR seemed lower than previous runs so happy with that as I felt my HR was too high when running.

Tuesday:

Distance: Just under 7k (Treadmill run at 1% incline)
    Time: 00:48:26
    Avg Pace: 04:48 (intervals only)
    Avg HR: 81% of max (intervals only)
    Max HR: 90% of max (intervals only)

Very, very tired this evening so completed 5 intervals instead of 10, legs still very heavy. Might have to add an extra rest day after a race or complete a low impact recovery session on Monday's so that I am fully recovered for the harder session on Tuesday's to get the most benefit.

Tomorrow: Strength/core training

Wednesday:
    Strength/core workout

Time: an hour give or take...

Completed the usual Core Training Plan but uped the reps to 20 for each excercise, some of them require a bit of effort but seems to be getting easier, able to focus more on the breathing so there seems to be an improvement...should be able to do 25 reps in a week or two or may have to add some extra exercises...

15 exercises in the core plan x 20 reps

Also did some strength training…

Seated leg press 3 x 20 reps
    Seated leg curl 3 x 20 reps
    Leg extensions 2 x 20 reps
    Shoulder press 2 x 20 reps
    Pulldown 2 x 20 reps

Tomorrow: Interval cycle

Thursday:
    Type: Interval Bike (75% effort)
    Time: 95 mins
    Bike 30 mins warm-up, 3 x 12mins (75%), 3 mins recovery, 20 mins warm-down

Distance: about 45k (Gym bike)
    Time: 01:35:02
    Avg Speed: 30k/h (ish)
    Avg HR: 75% of max (intervals only)
    Max HR: 78% of max (intervals only)

Really felt a lot fitter doing this than previous sessions on the static bike, felt like I was powering the legs through when pedalling...sweated an awful lot and went through 1L of fluids (carb/protein mix) even though the gym felt cool and was well air conditioned so must have been a good workout...

Lower legs still don't feel 100% but feel OK when I do a few minutes warm-up, might be caused by working night shifts straight after workouts on Wed/Thu/Fri. Generally most people do a workout, stretch and then go home/sleep and can start their recovery straight away, I can generally walk anything from 2-5k while walking around a factory when not sitting at my desk so probably have a delayed recovery period.

Tomorrow: Brick Bike/Run

• Advertisement

Friday:
    Type: Brick Bike/Run (75-85% effort) (60-75% effort)
    Bike 90 mins (60-70%, pick-up pace for final 30 mins) into run 15 mins (75%) into run 15 mins (75-85%) (60-70%)

Bike
    Distance: about 45k (Gym static bike)
    Time: 01:30:20
    Avg Speed: 30kph (ish)
    Avg HR: 63% of Max

Run
    Distance: 3-4k (Gym treadmill)
    Time: 00:30:00
    Avg Pace: ?
    Avg HR: 70% of Max

Typo in the original plan, no more 85% effort for two hours in training!!...another brick session but this time in the gym instead of outdoors. This was the polar oposite of the outdoor session two weeks ago where the cycle was easy but the run was hard and quit short. The cycle this evening really took it out of me especially the last 20 minutes where I was bucketing sweat but managed to keep the effort level in the correct zone; the run was a stoll...will have to do the next brick session on the same route as the previous one to see if there is any improvement.

Might have made a breakthrough on the tired/heavy legs/shin splints, was reading about race and recovery compression last night after I posted and thought this might address my symptoms. Wore a makeshift compression sleeve (physio compression sock) on my right leg doing todays workout, the leg I had shin splints on, and definetely felt a positive difference on that leg. Apparently compression after a race/workout is supposed to be even better so wore two old ankle supports around my calf/shin areas after the workout and the relieving effect was immediate, going to buy some proper compression sleeves/socks on the net and trial them for a few weeks and report back.

Once my legs are back in shape I'll be back to the outdoors again for most long running sessions, have been going to the gym far too much lately although it is very handy for the interval sessions especially on the bike. I am going to add a hill running session from next week at Knockma in Tuam and try to do my interval running on the running track in NUIG.

Tomorrow: REST DAY

Sunday: Long slow run

Officially signed up for the Connemara Rough Diamond in 21 days so should be a good test of my current fitness over a similar distance to Gaelforce (56k)...

http://www.connemararoughdiamond.com/

Just noticed that the beach the race starts on is right beside the starting beach for Gaelforce...

Sunday:
    Easy paced 30 mins into 45 min (60-70%) into easy paced 15 mins.

Distance: 12.37k
    Time: 1:23:31
    Avg pace: 06:45
    Avg HR: 73% of max
    Max HR: 82% of max

First long run on the road in about 7 weeks, took it fairly handy...HR was a bit about target but run was very comfortable and was never out of breath so not overly worried.

Going to hit Knockma Hill in a couple of hours for some hill running, it'll be interesting to see how the legs hold up after yesterday...

Week 5 (Start of hill running week)
    Monday:
    Type: Hill Running
    Time: 45-60 mins
    Not sure of the uphill/downhill distances so will map with my garmin, want to try and run a full circuit if possible

Tuesday:
    Easy paced 50 mins run or row depending on leg fatigue

Wednesday:

Thursday:
    Strength/core workout

Friday:
    Type: Brick Bike/Run (60-75% effort)
    Bike 90 mins (60-70%) into run 30 mins (75%)

Saturday:
    Long slow run

Sunday:
    Type: Bike (50-75% effort)
    Time: 180 mins
    120 mins (60-70%), 30 mins (75%), 30 mins (50-60%)

Monday:
    Time: 45-60 mins
    Not sure of the uphill/downhill distances so will map with my garmin, want to try and run a full circuit if possible

Distance: 06.35k
    Time: 00:39:31
    Avg pace: 06:14
    Avg HR: 77% of max
    Max HR: 89% of max

Knockma Circuit Stats:
    Climb: 97m
    Distance: 2.7k

Circuit lap times: 16:46, 16:31

Had planned three circuits but only ran two, couldn't climb the entire hill running so had to walk once for a minute on each circuit. Going to run this once a week, it'll help my descending big time as my current technique is terrible, mostly in my head I'd say.

Benchmark circuit time: 16.31

Tomorrow: Recovery running

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

This is an excellent thread and I'm going to unashamedly copy your plan. This is my first GF and I would genuinely like to do a sub 5hr. It won't be the end of the world if I come in a few minutes late but better to train for this level.
    Keep up the excellent posts and all going well I'll trip you at the finish line in August.wink.gif

Rawhead wrote: »
    This is an excellent thread and I'm going to unashamedly copy your plan

Work away, don't blame me if it's takes you 10 hours ;)

Plan is going very well, feel very good health and fitness wise...there's still a niggling feeling in the back of my brain that I'm not doing enough, not working at a high enough intensity.

Tonight the plan called for a recovery session, I did an easy 50 minutes on the rowing machine listening to an audiobook (John Grisham- The Confession) but I was raring to just go and run a fast 5 or 10k...I have to remember that I can't work at full intensity 6 or 7 days a week or I'll get injured or break down again, because of the recovery session today I'll be fresh for a harder interval session tomorrow...can't wait :D

Couple of big sessions coming up at the weekend so I'll keep at the plan and review it after the Connemara Rough Diamond Race...

Keep up the excellent posts and all going well I'll trip you at the finish line in August.wink.gif

You can't trip someone who's crawling...

Tuesday:
    Easy paced 50 mins run or row depending on leg fatigue

Distance: 9.92k (Rowing machine)
    Time: 00:50:00
    Avg HR: 126bpm (haven't got a max HR for static rowing yet)
    Max HR: 135 bpm

Easy session on the rowing machine, was going to pack it in after 30 minutes and transfer to the treadmill as my hole gluteus maximus was killing me from the seat but persevered and done the full 50.

Training indoors is getting a bit boring now, can't wait to get out on the bike for a long spin on Sunday morning, going to take the semi-slick tyres off the hybrid and put the skinny slicks back on again, should see a good increase in speed...

KoemansCC wrote: »
    You can't trip someone who's crawling...

Oh but you can when you are lying down.

I hear what your saying, I'm finding it difficult to slow down during my runs. I would be doing ok with the running (10k 43:36, Half marathon 1:44), it's the cycling I need to work on. I'll be trying to stick as close as possible to this thread as I have a tendency to focus on running and give the bike second place. I am currently using a MTB with road tires but have a road bike coming soon and think I'll use that for the race.

Thanks again for the posts..

• Advertisement

Wednesday:

Distance: 10.54k (Treadmill run at 1% incline)
    Time: 1:05:11
    Avg Pace: 04.48 (intervals only)

Couldn't get to the track in NUIG as I was running late so hit the gym before work. Up'd the interval speed by 0.5kph from previous interval sessions, this was hard but comfortable at the same time...managed to jog the first 4 recovery periods but strolled the last six. I have never done that much interval training so I think my natural stride has suffered as a result, lately though I notice that I am planting my feet better, not for the whole run but in isolation, and I am swinging my arms more pushing the pace. I'll be upping the interval time next week and reducing the number of intervals...think it's an 8x4 minute session.

I think I'm starting to see some benefit of having a purpose for each workout instead of just 'going for a run or a cycle', so a new rule from now on is that every workout will have a purpose...recovery, interval, long slow, short fast. if I don't feel up to a workout I'll take a recovery day instead of putting in a junk session...

Definitely NUIG track for the interval workout next week...maybe!

Tomorrow: Today: Core strength workout

Oh, and no going to fecking Oxegen this year either...one step forward, fifty steps back...Electric Picnic maybe, I think that's after GW...

KoemansCC wrote: »
    Wednesday:

Distance: 10.54k (Treadmill run at 1% incline)
    Time: 1:05:11
    Avg Pace: 04.48 (intervals only)

Couldn't get to the track in NUIG as I was running late so hit the gym before work. Up'd the interval speed by 0.5kph from previous interval sessions, this was hard but comfortable at the same time...managed to jog the first 4 recovery periods but strolled the last six. I have never done that much interval training so I think my natural stride has suffered as a result, lately though I notice that I am planting my feet better, not for the whole run but in isolation, and I am swinging my arms more pushing the pace. I'll be upping the interval time next week and reducing the number of intervals...think it's an 8x4 minute session.

I think I'm starting to see some benefit of having a purpose for each workout instead of just 'going for a run or a cycle', so a new rule from now on is that every workout will have a purpose...recovery, interval, long slow, short fast. if I don't feel up to a workout I'll take a recovery day instead of putting in a junk session...

Definitely NUIG track for the interval workout next week...maybe!

Tomorrow: Today: Core strength workout

I went to a running clinic at the start of the year. The benefits I got were savage. I notice you mention the planting of your feet, I used to sound like a herd of moose on the treadmill but after the coaching sessions I barely touched the tread. It is probably a bit late in the season to do the course at this stage as it takes 6 weeks, but it's something you could consider for next year.

Thursday:
    Strength/core workout

Core Workout x 20 reps
    +
    Strength Training
    Seated leg press 3 x 20 reps
    Seated leg curl 3 x 20 reps
    Leg extensions 2 x 15 reps
    Shoulder press 3 x 20 reps
    Chest press 2 x 15 reps
    Pulldown 3 x 20 reps
    Calf lifts 3 x 20 reps

Tomorrow: Brick, weather looks bad for the West so gym I'd say, not in the mood for the wet and wild before work...

I went to a running clinic at the start of the year. The benefits I got were savage. I notice you mention the planting of your feet, I used to sound like a herd of moose on the treadmill but after the coaching sessions I barely touched the tread. It is probably a bit late in the season to do the course at this stage as it takes 6 weeks, but it's something you could consider for next year.

Don't think I'm that bad yet, stride is fairly smooth on the treadmill, I don't make much noise...just need to get a better bounce in my stride.

Friday:
    Bike 90 mins (60-70%) into run 30 mins (75%)

Bike
    Distance: about 35k (Gym static bike)
    Time: 01:15:20
    Avg Speed: 27.9kph
    Avg HR: 65% of Max

Run
    Distance: 4.65k (Gym treadmill)
    Time: 00:31:16
    Avg Pace: 06:43
    Avg HR: 75% of Max

Way too tired from work last night to get the bike out on the road, so went the gym and listened to John Grisham's - The Confession on audiobook while on the bike, just getting to the good part now!! Had to cut the cycle short by 15 minutes as time was short but completed the full planned run. Calf muscles are awful stiff after yesterday, think I overdid it with the calf raises...felt OK when I ran on them but they are really sore now as I sit here typing this. Got an unmercifull stitch about 15-16 minutes into the run and was about to pack it in, a couple of burps later and the pain subsided and I completed the full 30 minutes.

Thought I ran way faster than that pace but it can be deceptive when you come off the bike, think I was able to run at a faster speed than last week for the same effort so maybe the training is finally kicking in a bit.

Tomorrow: Long run MAYBE

Saturday:
    Long slow run

Saturday is normally my rest day but tried to sneak this run in without anyone noticing as training is going very well...wasn't up for it at all so gave it a miss, going to have at least one day a week earmarked as a rest day and not going to break it...

Sunday:
    Type: Bike (50-75% effort)
    Time: 180 mins
    120 mins (60-70%), 30 mins (75%), 30 mins (50-60%)

Distance: 37.94k
    Time: 01:40:48
    Avg speed: 22.6kh
    Max speed: 40.6kh
    Avg HR: 62%
    Max HR: 78%

It's wild out west...headed out along the coast towards Spideal and after an hour with a constant headwind and the noise of the wind in my ears I started to get a headache...I thought feck this and turned around at Furbo church...journey out took 60 mins, journey back took 40 mins, next time!!!!

Tomorrow: Recovery run or row

Week 6 (Cut back length of workouts towards end of week for race the following week)
    Monday:
    Easy paced 50 mins run

Tuesday:
    Three circuits of Knockma Hill, try to fully run at least one circuit

Wednesday:
    Strength/core workout

Thursday:
    15 mins WU, 6 x 4mins (90 sec rec), 12 mins WD

Friday:
    Bike 60 mins (60-70%) into run 30 mins (75%)

Saturday:
    REST DAY

Sunday:
    Type: Bike (60-75% effort)
    60 mins (60-70%), 30 mins (75%)

Monday:
    Easy paced 50 mins run

Distance: 8.90k (Outdoor run)
    Time: 00:49:46
    Avg pace: 05:35/km
    Avg HR: 79% of max
    Max HR: 88% of max

Wanted to go a bit harder than a recovery run because of the shortened cycle yesterday, going by the stats probably went a bit too hard!!...think that's close to my fastest pace for a run of that distance...calf muscles are still a bit tight from the strength workout last Thursday.

Tomorrow: Hill running

• Advertisement

Tuesday
    Three circuits of Knockma Hill, try to fully run at least one circuit

Nothing done tonight, first break in the weather for a while so the back garden was calling...

Tomorrow: Core/strength workout

Advertisement