Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub-5hr Gaelforce West Log

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

Wednesday:
    Type: Recovery
    Time: 60 mins
    Strength/core workout

Just completed the Core Workout x 20 reps at home, took about 35 minutes...

Motivation is seriously missing the last day or two :mad:, if I can make it to the weekend and complete Thursday and Friday's workouts in full I should be OK for next week...

Tomorrow: Interval running

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I'm in the same boat as you motivation wise. Really down the last 2 days. Just happened to read the log of the lad doing the IM, it gave me a huge motivation surge and I went out and murdered the hills tonight. Keep the drive going.......

Rawhead wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you motivation wise. Really down the last 2 days. Just happened to read the log of the lad doing the IM, it gave me a huge motivation surge and I went out and murdered the hills tonight. Keep the drive going.......

Cheers for that, the most frustrating thing is niggling injuries/pains that I just can't seem to shake...the shin splints I had in my right leg have completely cleared up now (touch wood) but now a previous injury on my left leg is giving me bother (shin break)...there's no problem exercising it just gives some pain when I'm not exercising...

I thought all this was meant to be fun...heading to the gym for interval running in an hour so that should improve my mood...

Thursday:
    Type: Interval Run (80%+ effort)
    Time: 60 53 mins
    15 10 mins WU, 6 x 4mins (90 sec rec), 12 10 mins WD

Distance: 8.64k (Treadmill run at 1% incline)
    Time: 00:53:07
    Avg Pace: 04.48 (intervals only)
    Avg HR: 79% of max (intervals only)
    Max HR: 88% of max (intervals only)

Cut the warm-up/down times to 10 minutes each, thought I'd struggle to keep going for the full 4 minutes for all the reps as I struggled on a few of the 3 minute ones last week...could have probably done another one or two but better to stick to the plan...going to up the pace for each interval next week.

Friday:
    Type: Brick Bike/Run (60-75% effort)
    Time: 90 mins
    Bike 60 mins (60-70%) into run 30 mins (75%)

Bike
    Distance: 30.11k (Gym static bike)
    Time: 01:00:06
    Avg Speed: 30.1
    Avg HR: 64% of Max

Run
    Distance: 4.50k (Gym treadmill at 1% incline)
    Time: 00:30:33
    Avg Pace: 06:47
    Avg HR: 76% of Max

Nothing really to comment on, just a normal workout...have to start doing these outdoors for full benefit if the weather would ever clear up :mad:

Tomorrow: REST DAY

Sunday: Some sort of hungover cycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I always consider training outdoors in bad weather to be an important part of the preparation. There's no guarantee of good weather on GF day.
    I find its usually not half as bad when your out in it as it seems when you're inside looking out.

Enoying the log, keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

snailsong wrote: »
    I always consider training outdoors in bad weather to be an important part of the preparation. There's no guarantee of good weather on GF day.
    I find its usually not half as bad when your out in it as it seems when you're inside looking out.

Enoying the log, keep up the good work.

You're right, but it's hard to get out when motivation is low...in some ways I nearly prefer training in the winter when the nights are long, especially really cold nights...

Sunday
    Type: Bike (60-75% effort)
    60 mins (60-70%), 30 mins (75%)

Had planned to go out for a spin no matter how I felt after the few pints Saturday night, didn't work out that way, couldn't get off the couch...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

KoemansCC wrote: »
    You're right, but it's hard to get out when motivation is low...in some ways I nearly prefer training in the winter when the nights are long, especially really cold nights...

Agree with you here. I love running on cold nights. Training seems to be going well for you.

Wouldn't worry too much about the motivation. Everyone has bad spells, just keep at it. And think how much you'll appreciate the training half way up croagh patrick!

Week 6 (Shorter week, race on Saturday)
    Monday:
    Type: Active recovery
    Time: 50 mins
    Easy paced 50 mins run

Tuesday:
    10 mins WU, 10 x 2mins (60 sec rec), 10 mins WD

Wednesday:
    Type: Bike (60-70% effort)
    Steady cycle

Thursday:
    REST DAY

Friday:
    REST DAY, bike/kit check

Saturday:
    Type: Registration and Race
    Connemara Rough Diamond

Sunday:
    REST DAY

Monday:
    Easy paced 50 mins run

Distance: 8.71k (Outdoor run)
    Time: 00:51:47
    Avg pace: 05:57/km
    Avg HR: 76% of max
    Max HR: 84% of max

Took it a bit easier than last week even though I missed the cycle yesterday, set a target pace of 6 mins/k so kept at that...probably still feeling the few pints from Saturday, if I hadn't a race coming up I would have gone a lot harder to sweat out the toxins...

Tomorrow: Interval run

• Advertisement

LaHaine wrote: »
    ...you'll appreciate the training half way up croagh patrick!

That 'hill' is confined to the back of my brain and won't be thought off until I leave the bike in the transition area during the race...

Tuesday
    10 mins WU, 10 x 2mins (60 sec rec), 10 mins WD

Distance: 8.42k (Treadmill run at 1% incline)
    Time: 00:50:07
    Avg Pace: 04.26 (intervals only)
    Avg HR: 79% of max (intervals only)
    Max HR: 89% of max (intervals only)

Was getting late this evening and was going to give this a miss, even though I've missed a couple of sessions over the last week or two...said feck it, better get out because if I get in to the habit of missing one or two I'll start missing a lot more...very satisfied with that run, not the fastest or the longest but the fact that I didn't miss it...treated myself to a sauna and jacuzzi afterwards...

If anyone doubts the benefit of having a plan prepared in advance, this workout should convince them...if you don't have a plan made out and there's even a slight thought in your mind that you're not up for a workout you will miss it, if you have a plan made out I'd say you have a 80-90% chance of completing the workout...

Tomorrow: Steady cycle

Wednesday:
    Steady cycle

Distance: 30.40k (Gym static bike)
    Time: 01:00:00
    Avg Speed: 30.4
    Avg HR: ?
    Max HR: ?

No HR as I forgot my Garmin, last scheduled workout before race on Saturday...might (MIGHT) go for a 20 min run on Friday to loosen the legs, we'll see how it goes...

Tomorrow: REST DAY

Friday: REST DAY Bike/Kit check

Saturday: Connemara Rough Diamond

Saturday: Connemara Rough Diamond

Didn't feel right in the build up to the race, really feeling the running workouts in my lower legs, as such I was nearly wishing that I hadn't signed up at all the night before. Got up at 5 the morning of the race (a time I'd normally be going to bed after work) and went to registration and bike drop off, got an early tour of the assault course from Matt after we dropped the bikes off (thanks Matt). Left the car in Clifden and got the first bus to Lettergesh beach, got to the start at about 11:15, way too early for a race start of 1:00 :mad:, luckily someone found a café about 500m up the road at a camp site, big thanks to the overwhelmed cafe lady who served us our teas and coffees.

Started my warmup on the gorgeous beach and felt very tired and not 100% so started to get a bit worried so dropped an energy gel about 5 minutes before the start time. A fairly decent crowd of locals, bemused tourists from the camp site and about 300 sport entrants in the later waves were watching for the off and the 102 competitors in the expert wave were ready to go.

John Wayne Steeple Chase
    A novel idea for a stage, we did two laps of the beach course over about 20+ hurdles of large round hay bales, the first few were tricky as everyone was bunched up and you had to pick out a line to the jump. Found myself drifting towrds the back of the group and started to feel the pace already so now I was getting really worried, crossed the dibber station at the end of the steeple chase in 91/102 position. :(

Garraun Mountain Run
    Start of the run was up a very steep gravel road but after that if was completely cross country with some of the best scenery I have seen, I loved the cross country part as there was no road/fence/wall or defined path to follow, a large flag every few k showed the way which was adequate when you could also see the other competitors strewn in a line in the distance, all part of the tactics finishing last on the beach ;) (I don't know how the leaders navigated!!) This was real adventure racing, the terrain was very mixed from dry bog, wet bog, loose shale, large slipply rocks, at least a hundred small streams to jump over and a near vertical small climb. About 40 minutes into the race my engine finally kicked in and I felt a lot better, started to make up a few places on the uphill parts but lost a few again on the downhill parts...wore two good ankle supports for the first time and they never let me down and I felt really confident running over the rough ground so should speed me up next time as I'll have more confidence. Finished this stage 65th fastest.

Fear Gorta Assault Course
    A good bit of fun and a few minutes to take a small breather, might be better if it was longer and more technical but no complaints here, very well laid out. Finished this stage 33rd fastest.

Cycle to Letterfrack
    Short cycle and time to take on some fluids. Changed the tyres on the hybrid the night before from semi-slicks to full slicks and felt a nice speed improvement, travelled in a group of four and we soon overtaking a good few others...most of these were from the sport category as this is where we joined them. Cycled at a comfortable pace as I terified of the large climb ahead. Finished this stage 37th fastest.

Diamond Summit + Ellis Wood Trail Run
    A very tough hill but it was made a lot easier with the laid out stones and wooden decking in parts which helped the ankles, Croagh Patrick can be a killer on the calf's due to the bend in your ankle as you climb. Got in to a nice rhythm and just put one foot in front of the other and started to climb slowly, about half way up started to feel a bit off and lost my balance once or twice (totally forgot about the energy gels)...took one and felt stronger and started climbing again, overtook a few people but not by much. Got a bit confused when I got to the top as I was expecting a crowd similar to the top of Croagh Patrick (Diamond Hill has a very sharp peek so there's no real space at the top), I also wasn't sure where to go but a couple of tourists pointed me in the right direction and I started down a different path than I climbed. It wasn't a very technical descent due to the laid out stones, but very tough on the knees and you have to have your wits to avoid the odd slippy stones...I was overtaken by one girl who descended faster than anyone I had ever seen, she was out of sight in a couple of minutes. The run through the woods at the end was a sadistic twist just when I thought the stage was finished, especially the woodensteps. Finished this stage 56th fastest.

Cycle to Clifen via Sky Road
    A lonely cycle for the most part except for the first section that shared the same route as the sport category, some very smooth roads that I zipped along, overtook a lot of the sports on this part of the cycle. Turned off at the expert sign and was alone until the finish except for one girl that I passed who I'd say was a sport entrant with a city commuter bike who had taken a wrong turn...she looked well pee'd off. I was dreading the climb in the middle as we had driven it earlier but when I got there on the bike it wasn't as bad as I thought, once i got to the top it was all downhill into Clifden. I then suddenly became aware of the time, I had set a target time before the race assuming best case scenario for each stage and realised I had a chance of getting it...thought I had no chance coming off the beach at Lettergesh. Finished this stage 35th fastest.

Had set a best case target time of 3:59 before the race, crossed the line with 03:55:53 on the clock in 48th position out of 102 starters :D, just over an hour behind the overall expert winner Padraig Marrey in 02:53:10.

The endurance levels have really improved since I started the training plan, except for the start and for a few minutes climbing Diamond Hill I felt like I was in control throughout...I'm glad I finished when I did but I'd say I could have gone on for longer. Compared to the Connemara Adventure Challenge a few weeks a go I was able to run for longer sustained periods, I jogged some of the uphill parts and ran all the downhill parts.

The lesson learned from this race is that I have to do a longer cardio warm-up before a race, I felt like crap for the first 30-40 minutes, need to trawl the net to find an good warm-up or if anyone here has any tips...might just need to jog slowly for 20 minutes before`hand.

Garmin link for the race in case anyone is interested, a bit shorter than advertised, I hit the lap button early/late at a couple of dibber stations so the stage times don't match the official stage results but the overall time is the same,

Sunday: REST DAY

Week 7 (Recovery week)
    Monday:
    Easy paced 60 mins cycle

Tuesday:
    Time: approx 45 mins
    10 mins WU, 8 x 400m (90 sec rec), 10 mins WD

Wednesday:
    Type: Active Recovery
    Strength/core workout

Thursday:
    Type: Bike/Run (60-75% effort)
    Time: 110 mins
    Bike 50 mins (60-70%) into run 20 mins (75%)

Friday:
    Type: Run (60-70% effort)
    Time: 45 mins
    Steady run

Saturday:
    REST DAY

Sunday:
    TBD depending on work

Monday:
    Easy paced 60 mins cycle

Distance: ? (Gym static bike)
    Time: 01:00:00
    Avg Speed: ?
    Avg HR: 46% of max
    Max HR: 55% of max

Easy cycle to get the blood flowing and loosen some tired musles, don't know the distance forgot to check the readout. I'm going to treat this as a recovery week, same intensity in the workouts but shorter...I'm going to step up the intensities next week and see how it feels, I should be well rested by then!

Tuesday:
    Time: approx 45 mins
    10 mins WU, 8 x 400m (90 sec rec), 10 mins WD

Distance: 7.73k (Outdoor track run)
    Time: 00:46:29
    Avg Pace: 04.08/km (intervals only)
    Avg HR: 76% of max (intervals only)
    Max HR: 87% of max (intervals only)

Lap 1 1:32.6
    Lap 2 1:35.6
    Lap 3 1:41.2
    Lap 4 1:41.1
    Lap 5 1:40.1
    Lap 6 1:41.6
    Lap 7 1:40.4
    Lap 8 1:40.9

Went to the track in NUIG, heavy rain for a couple of laps...I'd forgotten what it felt like to run on a track, can't say it was better or worse than the road. I was going to stop after 6 reps but I had the garmin set up for 8 so it was easier to continue than reset it...pretty happy with the lap times, I'll try to get them all below 1:40 next time.

Tomorrow: Core/strength

Wednesday:
    Type: Active Recovery
    Strength/core workout

Really tired Wednesday and didn't fancy doing a non-cardio workout before work :(...

Thursday:
    Time: 110 mins
    Bike 50 mins (60-70%) into run 20 mins (75%)

Bike
    Distance: 24.0k (Static bike)
    Time: 51:04
    Avg speed: 28.2
    Avg HR: 67% of max
    Max HR: 71% of max

Run
    Distance: 3.25k (Treadmill at 1% incline)
    Time: 21:07
    Avg pace: 06:30
    Avg HR: 77% of max
    Max HR: 80% of max

Shorter brick session than normal this week but felt every bit of it in the legs while running, obviously still a bit tired from Saturday.

I'm going to try something new this week, I'm going to do the next few gym sessions after work in the morning instead of before work in the evenings...maybe this will help the recovery after each workout because as it stands my legs are nearly always tired, doesn't bother me when I'm moving only when I stop!!!

Tomorrow (Saturday morning after work Friday night): Steady run

Friday:
    Type: Run (60-70% effort)
    Time: 45 mins
    Steady run

I was going to do the run after work Saturday morning, didn't fancy running outside after work and the gym didn't open until 9 so didn't run at all :( recovery week is slowly becoming lazy week...

Sunday:
    TBD depending on work 5k Race (New PB)

Distance: 5.00k
    Time: 25.09
    Avg pace: 05:02
    Avg HR: 84% of max
    Max HR: 89% of max

I was going to get up at 07:45 and go for a long cycle, must have sub-consciously set the alarm wrong knowing there would be heavy rain and didn't get up until 10...didn't want to waste the afternoon on the bike so decided to run a 5k race in Monivea at the last minute.

I set a target pace of 5.00m/km on the garmin as I thought this would be achievable as the fitness levels are increasing, although I can't remember the last time I ran on the road. Completed the race in 25:09 (a new PB), the course was 50/50 road and off road through a forest, I went out too fast in the first k (4:16) and died for the last two k...while I was running I realised that this was my first 5k race ever! I've only done 8k/10k/20k races before.

Well run race for Monivea rugby club with about 180 entrants, the first year of the race I think...will do again.

'Kick it up a notch' week
    Monday:
    Type: Hill Running
    Time: approx 50 mins
    Three circuits of Knockma Hill, try to fully run at least one circuit

Tuesday:
    Strength/core workout

Wednesday:
    10 mins WU, 10 x 3mins (60 sec rec), 10 mins WD

Thursday:
    Time: 120 mins
    Bike 90 mins (60-70%) into run 30 mins (75%)

Friday:
    Rowing machine

Saturday:
    Type: Long Slow Run
    Easy paced run

Sunday:
    Time: 180 mins
    Steady cycle, work climbs hard

• Advertisement

Monday:
    Type: Hill Running
    Time: approx 50 mins
    Three circuits of Knockma Hill, try to fully run at least one circuit

Distance: 06.34k
    Time: 00:39:52
    Avg pace: 06:17
    Avg HR: 78% of max
    Max HR: 86% of max

Circuit lap times: 16:09, 16:49

Just ran the two circuits tonight, I think that's plenty for now...my throat was on fire when I finished. Ran the whole of the first circuit but had to walk for a bit on the second...lower back was a bit tight when climbing??

Tomorrow: Core/strength workout

Tuesday:
    Strength/core workout

Usual Core Workout x 20 reps, a lot of the exercises felt easier tonight, think I'm seeing some results (even the hip raises!!), used a small weighted ball for the half up twists...
    +
    Strength Training
    Seated leg curl 2 x 15 reps
    Leg extensions 2 x 15 reps
    Shoulder press 2 x 15 reps
    Chest press 2 x 15 reps
    Pulldown 3 x 15 reps
    Calf lifts 2 x 12 reps
    Back raises 1 x 15

Felt wrecked at the end, mostly on the upper arms...

Wednesday:
    10 mins WU, 10 x 3mins (60 sec rec), 10 mins WD

Terrible workout...

Forgot garmin/HR monitor, treadmill incline too steep, pace set too high, recovery time too short, pain still in my left shin and I got shampoo in my eyes...only did 5 reps.

Chalk that down as a bad one...

Thursday:
    Time: 120 mins
    Bike 90 mins (60-70%) into run 30 mins (75%)

Good solid 2 hour cardio session, 90 mins on the static bike and 30 mins on the cross trainer, didn't do the planned run on the treadmill as I'm still mad at it from yesterday.

Tomorrow: Recovery rowing

Friday:
    Rowing machine

Relaxed workout listening to a podcast, although I think the seat on the rowing machine is getting harder...

Tomorrow:
    Long slow run

Saturday: Sunday:
    Type: Long Slow Run
    Easy paced run

Distance: 14.27k
    Time: 01:30:25
    Avg pace: 06:20
    Avg HR: 80%
    Max HR: 87%

Couldn't do this yesterday as got called into work at the last minute...glorious evening but very hot, I just can't handle running in the heat so stopped halfway round for a drink. I'll do today's planned cycle tomorrow.

Tomorrow: Long cycle

Sunday: Monday:
    Time: 180 mins
    Steady cycle, work climbs hard

Distance: 70.87k
    Time: 03:00:20
    Avg speed: 23.6kh
    Avg HR: 64% of max
    Max HR: 81% of max

Headed out towards Spideal and back by Moycullen, took a detour on the way back through Drom East and Tonabrucky (two tough hills), started to run out of road at the end and had to take in a circuit by Oranmore to complete the full 3 hours...

Tomorrow: Core/strength workout

Tuesday:
    Strength/core workout

Just the Core Workout x 25 reps today...

Not going to do a plan for the next week or two as my time will be all over the place, I'll just do the days I can and post...

Sunday: Road Run
    Distance: 8.62k
    Time: 00:45:51
    Avg pace: 05:19/k
    Avg HR: 82% of max
    Max HR: 91% of max

Ran the first 5 at 5k pace, fast jog for the remainder...

• Advertisement

Tuesday: Road run

Distance: 11.22k
    Time: 01:01:31
    Avg pace: 05:29/k
    Avg HR: 82% of max
    Max HR: 92% of max

Wanted to set a pace and try and stick to it for the entire run, I have a habit of running too fast early and dying towards the end...set a conservative pace of 05:30/k and managed to more or less keep to it and felt a lot fresher towards the end.

Managed to run a new 10k PB time to boot (54:49), two and a half minutes faster than my previous fastest time (57:27) and nearly 8 minutes faster than the benchmark 10k time I set in week 1 of the plan (1:02:36)...

Advertisement