Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone else a helicopter fly above the city yesterday

Options
  • 18-04-2011 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Around 3PM-3.30PM. I saw glide from the northside to the southside and back a couple of times. At times it went a bit lower and stayed in the same spot as if it was looking for something.

I think it could have been a Gardaí helicopter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Not all that uncommon to see Helicopters in Cork city.

See them around at least once a week, and more during the summer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yes, there were several of them it seemed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Rumour is some of them are Army with British Special Forces ahead of Queen's visit getting the lay of the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

tommy21 wrote: »
    Rumour is some of them are Army with British Special Forces ahead of Queen's visit getting the lay of the land.

Wouldn't be entirely surprising, it's a common routine before a major visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

they're overhead again now. just passed Victoria Cross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Was hovering over UCC for a while there earlier. Right above over the feckin library of all places :P

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hovering over Father Matthew Quay for a while also - and looked like over the old Beamish Brewery. My first thought was security checking the city which is understandable. But noisy or what!?*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Not sure if they'd be used during the day,

But they could have been using thermal imaging to look for houses with abnormal heat signatures
    in the hunt for Vietnamese run marijuana grow houses

Very common in the UK, and even in Dublin there's been a few high profile finds this year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Seemed to be the Garda helicopter yesterday and today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Yea, On Sunday it was definitely the Garda helicopter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

They were hovering over UCC/ Sundays Well last Wednesday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

There was one flying around where I live just south of Douglas two weeks ago.
    Seemed to go back and forth and hovered a couple of times in one spot.
    Thought it was the flight school up the road from me but I had only seen planes from there before.

As for it being a Garda helicopter, I couldn't see any markings on the side to say it was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

The army rangers have been training around cork with their helicopters for the last six months or so, could have been those guys, I saw 3 of them flying low over the city centre around christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The Garda helicopter is very distinctive - blue underbelly, white body, yellow stripe inbetween (Athough, I'd to squint to make it out). Wasnt Army, I know those ones a mile away. My transceiver I used when learning to fly is on loan to a friend, otherwise I'd have been listening in for the chatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I think the chopper in the first post may have been a friend of the lady I work with. She was just telling me yesterday how her partner surprised their son with a trip in a friends helicopter How nice and that they were flying around the city Monday. And around by Victorai road area..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

otherwise I'd have been listening in for the chatter.

You'd only get the ATC comms, once cleared to go into the zone prescribed no more comms would be detected unlit clearance to leave was given and a new flightpath approved.

Advertisement