Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure and bounce

Options
  • 18-04-2011 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I've got two decent balls here both with recommended inflation of 8lbs, from my Googling, it would appear this is 5.5 bar of pressure. I have a good pump here with a gauge on it and have pumped it a fair bit but I've only gotten to 3 bars and it seems quite a lot and I don't want to overinflate and possibly burst the balls and my ear drums :o The balls are quite hard now and bounce well enough but is 5.5 right or should I relax?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

bollox, good job I stopped, the link above is miscalculated by 10 times too much and I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be only .55 bar as opposed to 5.5 :o

http://www.soccerballworld.com/Physics-FAQ.htm#QBuyingSoccerBalls

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

If you hold the basketball straight up in the air at arms length, then drop it, it should bounce once and come back up as high as your elbow (with your arm still straight up). This is a general rule but I've seen bball refs use it to make sure the ball is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

this only works properly on a good floor... make sure not to do it on a dead spot or you over inflate the ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Advertisement