Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gaming build, needs some Critique

Options
  • 18-04-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

My new build needs critiquing, no need for OS, monitor, K/B or mouse.

unledqp.jpg

I would like to cut about 50 Euro from the price without sacrificing much performance, if possible,

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

€50 is a lot...

You may be able to save €20 with a cheaper P67 board - at the cost of one of those PCI-E slots. It's only a x4 slot anyway. Don't rule out Asrock.

Cheaper RAM won't see that much performance difference. You could save €6-7 there.
    This Corsair RAM is €10 cheaper. Maybe you might want something more in between. 1600MHz CL9 is usually a nice spot.

Maybe cut off €20 from the case and go with a Xigmatek asgard case. They're about €30 and quite a good design.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Monotype wrote: »
    €50 is a lot...

You may be able to save €20 with a cheaper P67 board - at the cost of one of those PCI-E slots. It's only a x4 slot anyway. Don't rule out Asrock.

Cheaper RAM won't see that much performance difference. You could save €6-7 there.
    This Corsair RAM is €10 cheaper. Maybe you might want something more in between. 1600MHz CL9 is usually a nice spot.

Maybe cut off €20 from the case and go with a Xigmatek asgard case. They're about €30 and quite a good design.

Pretty much this. You could also save €20 by building it yourself, or getting help from one of us boardsies in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

and the corsair ram is quicker too your ram is horribly slow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Purely in terms of gaming performance I really like this one Monotype posted earlier today, it is a signifigantly better use of 60 quid less IMO (allowing for the 20 euro building fee).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71756114&postcount=5

Does involve robbing Peter(CPU) to pay Paul (GPU), but because of the 6950 will see better FPS in any game. Even paired with the HD 6850 rom above it will perform about the same as the above in practically any game at a decent resolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I agree, if gaming is a priority on a tight budget, just go with AMD and put more into the GPU.

I completely missed the assembly of €20. That's certainly the most obvious cut you can make. It really isn't that hard if you follow some guides and I would always recommend people to give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I've always wanted to build my own rig, but looking at that... 20 euro isn't that bad of a price for assembly.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭holdithoncho

When i built my first rig i used this video on youtube found it very good for beginners http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUY0tP5jYIo

Advertisement