Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle lanes Dunmore Road

• 18-04-2011 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Just a quick point about the use of the cycle lanes on the Dunmore Road.

I went for a cycle this evening and found that there were alot of joggers using these lanes, this made it very difficult for me to navigate this stretch of road without hoping up on the footpath or going out onto the road which was very busy at the time.

I think the garda traffic corps need to police these lanes more and maybe hand out spot fines to these joggers???

Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

If you were past the hospital in the Dunmore direction, you should thank the joggers. They saved you a fortune in repairing a buckled wheel in the holes on the cycle track.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

If it was me I would just cycle on the path the whole time as there are constantly cars parked in the cycle lanes an cars cutting into the cycle lanes top it off the road isn't wide enough so when a lorry or bigger comes along it can barely stay within the lines.

When you think about it a cyclist hitting a pedestrian is not going to be as serious cyclist getting hit by a car.

I bet the guards would pull people over if they saw them cycling on the path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The amount of cars parked in the lanes recently makes a mockery of anything they were trying to achieve. These guys are just shooting themselves in the foot, they'll attract the clampers.

I have yet to see one school goer in the cycle lanes between 7:30 and 8:30.

Let alone the idiots swerving into the cycle or bus lanes to avoid the speed bumps.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    The amount of cars parked in the lanes recently makes a mockery of anything they were trying to achieve. These guys are just shooting themselves in the foot, they'll attract the clampers.

I have yet to see one school goer in the cycle lanes between 7:30 and 8:30.

Let alone the idiots swerving into the cycle or bus lanes to avoid the speed bumps.

Were they parked there during the time alloted for use? Its not a 24hr bus lane. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

the only cars i saw in the bus lane are mass goers, 7.30 to 8 weekdays and sunday morning, so outside the bus lane times but the cycle lanes dont have time restrictions, there are always people parked in them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

OP, do you use a bell? I do. Sure it makes me sound like an old granny when cycling, but people get out of my way.

I'd like they put some sort of barrier between the cycle path and road. I know the road is narrow, especially close to the roundabout by Passage Road, but I just think the cars need to slow down, which isn't such a huge inconvenience.

(Like most cyclists, I'm also a motorist on that stretch of road)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

some non driving people need to cop-on: specifically
    People cycling on ORR when cyle lane on path and
    joggers on roads when there is a path

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

Max Powers wrote: »

Couldn't agree with you more. Think some of them just have a death wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Max Powers wrote: »

On the ORR on some sections there is only a cycle lane on one side of the road.

Anyway I don't see why someone would get annoyed about cyclists on the ORR. There is loads of space for overtaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Creamsoda wrote: »
    Couldn't agree with you more. Think some of them just have a death wish.

In fairness the only cyclists I meet on the actual road are those that look like they are seriously into cycling. Given that these lads could be probably be tipping along at 30-40kmh at times you wouldn't want them mixing with pedestrian traffic either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Is there actually a legal issue with somebody running on a cycle lane? I know it's frowned on and all but I mean would there be a black & White law they are breaking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

ziedth wrote: »
    Is there actually a legal issue with somebody running on a cycle lane? I know it's frowned on and all but I mean would there be a black & White law they are breaking?

I doubt it as there's no law against running on the road.

I run the Dunmore Rd quite a lot and the only times I venture into the cycle lane is when I'm overtaking walkers who are intent on hogging the path to themselves. Whatever the rights and wrongs, runners do like to run on the road as it's a more even surface and tarmac is more absorbent than concrete. It's a nightmare running on the path from the small roundabout behind Newtown down to St Benildus as there's nothing but cambers for driveways. It's very easy to damage your hips running on a surface like that, so the road is preferable.

Advertisement