Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buildings and Monuments in Drogheda

Options
  • 18-04-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

I am looking for references i.e. literature in relation to buildings and monuments in and around Drogheda - there is so much history around us, but it seems very difficult to find any information.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Colmutd

Anything more specific? Is it for a project in particular or just general interest? I got a book recently from Easons in the Drogheda Town Centre entitled "Ancient Drogheda" by Aidan Robinson. It's not very detailed but it gives a decent overview of some of the historical sites in the town including the Old Abbey, Millmount along with the sites of historic markets and some old pictures etc. Easons in the town usually has a decent selection of books published by local historians that might be of use. Check out the Old Drogheda Society for articles and other publishings too.

Here's the link to their website

http://www.millmount.net/society_history.asp
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

For general interest - I pass the gate at Grove Hill (south side of the Bridge of Peace) daily and was wondering if it would have some history. There are a lot of other buildings and monuments in Drogheda, apart for the obvious ones :rolleyes:

Ha yeah of course there are. Well that book i mentioned touches on quite a few things, i think it was 15 euro theres also another one called the Streets and Lanes of Drogheda, or something like that. Quite useful for local history. DIFE run a course on local history as far as i know if it's any interest.

Often wondered about that gate myself, there must be a plaque or inscription on it somewhere. Never took the time to check it out.

Thanks - will check Easons. I checked the gate on Sunday, no history nor names, only stating that it is part of the Grove Hill improvement works and that the works were financed by the EU :D

Ah right, might have just been for the sake of giving that part of the town some identity or something along those lines. If you find out anything with regard any history to the site etc let me know!

• Advertisement

sure, I am always searching for information ;) and will share if I find anything.

Went to Easons and got "The Streets and Lanes of Drogheda" for €20 - worth it as it contains a lot of information about Drogheda's history.

The gate located south of Bridge of Peace is the entrance gate to Ballsgrove House Estate, built in 1734. The gate itself is dated 1801 and was restored by Drogheda Corporation, according to the sign on the gate, in 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I remember going to see the head of saint oliver plunkett in a church in Drogheda.

I ended up going into Eason's myself today to buy "The Streets and Lanes of Drogheda" after suggesting it and was coming here to update! I see you beat me to it. Seems like a great book. I would suggest the book on "Ancient Drogheda" to supplement it, it contains some interesting things on the local history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

What is the origins of the name of the shopping centre Scotch Hall in Drogheda ? Was it built on the site of a an old wharehouse or mill that traded with Scotland or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I am looking for references i.e. literature in relation to buildings and monuments in and around Drogheda - there is so much history around us, but it seems very difficult to find any information.
    For general interest - I pass the gate at Grove Hill (south side of the Bridge of Peace) daily and was wondering if it would have some history. There are a lot of other buildings and monuments in Drogheda, apart for the obvious ones :rolleyes:

Deirdre Murphy wrote an extensive two-volume history entitled 'Medieval Drogheda' from an archaeological perspective for her M.Litt thesis in 1998. It's the most in-depth study of the medieval town. Murphy's thesis can be found by searching here in the James Joyce Library in UCD.

You've presumably read John d'Alton's two-volume work The History of Drogheda (1844).

Some of these JCLAHS articles will also be very useful for your research. I surmise you've already been into the National Museum (Kildare Street) and seen the large sixteenth-century timber beam from the Bathe House in Drogheda with the inscription, 'This house was builded by Hugh Moore, carpenter, 1570'. Matthew Kelly wrote an article entitled 'Some Wooden houses of Drogheda' in the above JCLAHS in 1941 which like all of the rest of those articles is available online on JSTOR if you've got access to a Third-Level account.

What is the origins of the name of the shopping centre Scotch Hall in Drogheda ? Was it built on the site of a an old wharehouse or mill that traded with Scotland or something.

The word scotch derives from "scutch" which is the process of beating flax to separate fibres for hackling when making linen. A "scutch hall" is the place this process is carried out. St Mary's Flax Mill was near the site of Scotch Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

We looked at one of the most prominent features of Drogheda, the Boyne Viaduct in a thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71966991&postcount=8

Advertisement