Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire on North Mall

Options
  • 18-04-2011 11:26pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The building on the other side of the Franciscan Well went on fire this evening. Anyone know anything about it? Thankfully, the Well remains unharmed (although it's now downright suspicious that the two neighbouring buildings have burnt down without harming them! :p )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

You scared me there, for a moment I thought I'd lost the Well!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

I was wondering what had happened! I was just getting out of the cinema and there were firetrucks and all sorts everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I googled out of curiosity. Nothing current. In April '09 a man died following a fire in the building on the right. Didn't see the cause of the fire in any of the stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Wow, we just moved from there last year. I heard, not sure how true this is, that the guy who died from the apartment that burned out years ago actually jumped out of the window. I was told that by a girl that was living in the same building... Again sorry if that isn't a true account.

Has anyone an update of what happened this time?

Yeah, that's what I read. Jumped, died later in hospital.

• Advertisement

Very sad.

According to the Wells' FB status, the building on the left was abandoned, so no one was hurt?? Any idea what would have started it?

Man they're haunted!! :)

Not a repeat of last time then, thankfully. I'd only be guessing as to what started it. Rats chomping on wires? :confused:

Anyone know what started the one back in '09?

Again, I'm not too sure of how true this is and my memory retains less than a sieve would but I was told the dude who lived there was a little bit dodge and apparently fell asleep smoking.. Now that could be wrong and I've no proof but just saying what I heard! Feel free to delete this mods if you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

A friend of mine worked in the well, they were always giving out about the dodgy stuff happening in the house that is now on fire, squatters I think. The house that went on fire in '09, I don't think, had anything to do with them. If I remember correctly, I think it was a foreign national who tried to save himself by jumping from the window.
    Obviously mods delete this if I have said anything I shouldn't have.

It was an Irish guy who died in '09. Here's what I read: link 1 link 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

FTGFOP wrote: »
    It was an Irish guy who died in '09. Here's what I read: link 1 link 2
    Thanks, well there you go.... my head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kellie89

Hi I'm living in a building a few doors down .. I was there from the start. The drunk people who are always sitting outside went into the building at around 7 and around 8.45 there was a burning smell and 15 mins a window shattered and flames were to be seen. Three men ran into the house to saw the people who were passed out in the room downstairs, at this stage the flames were coming down the stairs and the house filled with smoke. The blonde drunk girl tried to jump into the river when the garda arrived and then tried to run back into the house to saying she had to save her pet horse and her pet dog called lassie. When she emptied her pocket she around 4 lighters and obvious injection marks on her arms. I don't know how it started but my assumption is that they were smoking heroin and passed out setting the place alight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Kellie89 wrote: »
    Hi I'm living in a building a few doors down .. I was there from the start. The drunk people who are always sitting outside went into the building at around 7 and around 8.45 there was a burning smell and 15 mins a window shattered and flames were to be seen. Three men ran into the house to saw the people who were passed out in the room downstairs, at this stage the flames were coming down the stairs and the house filled with smoke. The blonde drunk girl tried to jump into the river when the garda arrived and then tried to run back into the house to saying she had to save her pet horse and her pet dog called lassie. When she emptied her pocket she around 4 lighters and obvious injection marks on her arms. I don't know how it started but my assumption is that they were smoking heroin and passed out setting the place alight.

as first posts go...... very informative altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I think I'm right in saying that the building that went on fire in 2009 and this current building are owned by the same person.
    This sort of neglect of what are very fine buildings is a disgrace and the buildings should be taken off the current owner if they are not willing to maintain them. The councill should then rectify the dereliction and sell off the building to recoup their costs.
    A similar level of dereliction meant that the house across the river (formaly the home of George Boole) collapsed last year.

Advertisement