Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best LC French Books HL

• 18-04-2011 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

I'm in 5th year and have to get to grips with my French big time. I've heard good reports from the following books, could anyone recommended the best one?.
    1. Bac Superiour
    2. Rapid Revision French
    Thanks guys! (:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

1. Bac Superiour
    2. Rapid Revision French

Bac Superior is brilliant but I think they stopped printing it. I have rapid revision French, never really use it, I find doing exam papers better. Sorry that's not much help.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Bac superior is better alright:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Bac Superior. I have the Rapid Revision book and I never use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I'm in 5th year and have to get to grips with my French big time. I've heard good reports from the following books, could anyone recommended the best one?.
    1. Bac Superiour
    2. Rapid Revision French
    Thanks guys! (:

1 is a text book, the other a revision guide.

Bac Superiour is really good BUT it's stopped printing (apparently they're making a new one so maybe hold on until the end of the summer). Although it's stopped printing some shops (albeit very few) have them. Try a local small school book shop.. I found mine in a local easons although they stopped doing school books... It was with the dictionarys and revision books!

Well I've no experience of Bac Superieur, but I did use Rapid revision French.

Rapid Revision French took me from failing to a B2 in the L.C. It was concise, gave the essentials of the french course and gave a proper timeline for study. I always found it hard to find the motivation to study but with French because the time is all set out for you it's easy to fit it in. I'd recommend it for half way through 6th year though. Obviously going through it in 5th year is good too, as you'll have a head start on stuff, but it's definitely worth getting for 6th year without a doubt.

Also, to prove my credentials, I think I'm the only one so far to spell Bac Superieur right... (well, without bothering to find the right e, it should have an accent on it?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Well I've no experience of Bac Superieur, but I did use Rapid revision French.

Rapid Revision French took me from failing to a B2 in the L.C. It was concise, gave the essentials of the french course and gave a proper timeline for study. I always found it hard to find the motivation to study but with French because the time is all set out for you it's easy to fit it in. I'd recommend it for half way through 6th year though. Obviously going through it in 5th year is good too, as you'll have a head start on stuff, but it's definitely worth getting for 6th year without a doubt.

Also, to prove my credentials, I think I'm the only one so far to spell Bac Superieur right... (well, without bothering to find the right e, it should have an accent on it?)
    Thanks so much! I'll think i'll go with Rapid Revision French as the reports seem to be good, it's easier to fins and it only costs a tenner! Not being nosey or anything but did you fail your mocks? Did you start using it after your mocks or what?. Well done on the B2 in French btw! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I've never actually owned the Bac Supérieur book (Although my teacher frequently photocopies pages out of it for use in class). I always thought the book's title was spelled using the anglicised spelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

So, because you were the only one to spell Superieur correctly, Rapid Revision is worth getting? Makes complete sense. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Do you think I could complete the whole thing in ten days (one chapter a day) if I leave out all the oral sections (obviously) and all the fax and email sections or would 20 days be more realistic (the 20 days before the French exam.)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

NotExactly wrote: »
    Do you think I could complete the whole thing in ten days (one chapter a day) if I leave out all the oral sections (obviously) and all the fax and email sections or would 20 days be more realistic (the 20 days before the French exam.)

I started mine today, hoping to go through it and only do the stuff that's needed. Got 60% in the mocks so hope to make a huge improvement but I find it hard to know what to study for French:confused:
    Am trying to learn phrases for the letter now, not sure what to do for the "Donnez vos reactions" questions though:(

• Advertisement

Thanks so much! I'll think i'll go with Rapid Revision French as the reports seem to be good, it's easier to fins and it only costs a tenner! Not being nosey or anything but did you fail your mocks? Did you start using it after your mocks or what?. Well done on the B2 in French btw! :D

Not sure if I failed them, don't really recall but I definitely did horrendously. I started it just after Christmas I think.
    So, because you were the only one to spell Superieur correctly, Rapid Revision is worth getting? Makes complete sense. :pac:

Yeah, why not???
    Actually no, I hadn't heard of the book so I looked it up. Thought it was ironic. I don't actually think it has any bearing on my French. Didn't think anyone would take it seriously...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Well, whatever you do, DON'T get the Less Stress More Success French book. I found it to be rather useless and it it's only useful as an occasional paperweight now.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Hey! I know this thread is from last year but just wanted to ask a question.

I've heard a lot of things about Bac Superieur and wanted to get it but edco don't seem to sell it anymore...is Triomphe Au Bac Superieur the same book, just a new edition? I really want to do well in French next year, but my French teacher is useless and uses the book "Nouveau Montages" which in my opinion, should never have been printed in the first place.

OP, what book did you get in the end? And did it help? :)

Advertisement