Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alarm Panel recommendation to replace old system?

Options
  • 18-04-2011 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

Hi, have had a good read of the threads in this section - very interesting and informative.
    I have an alarm, must be heading for 20 years old at this stage. Its a Scopetronic Vista 5. Not working any longer. I'd like to replace it with something modern. Its a 4 bed semi, garage, conservatory.
    I want to have a key pad at hall door. panal to have abiliy to text me if alarm goes off - dont want GSM, will wire to house phone. Would like ability to have "wireless" zones if the present hard wiring is no longer up to job. Finally I want to install myself - like doing DIY and want to try this.
    Any advice appreciated.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You probably know this but I'll tell you anyway.
    I would recommend the Signet, it will do all of the above.
    Others will recommend HKC so it's down to you to choose which one suits you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Two good hybrid systems you could install would be the HKC Secure wave or the signet, both have the ability to use the wired zones already in your home plus you can add wire free components to either system. With both systems you can have text alerts if your service provider is Eircom, if your service provider is not Eircom then the HKC Securewave can do voice with other service providers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Jnealon wrote: »
    +1 To the SigNET. Pricewise there is very little between that and Securewave.
    In my opinion the SigNET has a few more features for the money ..

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

KoolKid wrote: »
    +1 To the SigNET. Pricewise there is very little between that and Securewave.
    In my opinion the SigNET has a few more features for the money ..

+ 1 as well, good panel.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BowWow

Jnealon wrote: »

Thanks, I'll look into Signet - seems to be a lot of threads/posts on problems with HKC? Although that could be a reflection of their share of the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

BowWow wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll look into Signet - seems to be a lot of threads/posts on problems with HKC? Although that could be a reflection of their share of the market.

Ah to be fair the HKC is a good panel, on a personal note I prefer the sigNET

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

BowWow wrote: »

Most of the problems are with faulty sensors more than the system itself. The newer panel is the Securewave, the other panels have being on the go a long time :D Regardless of the system you install sensors can and will go faulty. You may find after upgrading your 20 year old system that you have one or two sensors faulty but a test of these sensors will make your system reliable regardless of the panel you choose :)

Advertisement