Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of domestic storage heaters?

• 19-04-2011 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

just wondering if anyone would know how much home storage heaters are to buy new?

Thinking of replacing my own.
    Is there any particular type that are for bedrooms?and different ones for living room etc?
    because i have one in each bedroom but different ones in the hall and living room.

also,on another note,not sure how mad a question this is but are storage heaters potentially as likely to create carbon monoxide as anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

the storage heaters i have are maybe 10 or 12 years old,im guessing there are far more economical (and greener) new storage heaters now?
    so if thats the case changing them will in turn have them pay for themselves over time??

could anyone recommend a brand or particular type?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

barryd09 wrote: »
    also,on another note,not sure how mad a question this is but are storage heaters potentially as likely to create carbon monoxide as anything else?

Not unless they go on fire!

They electrically heat concrete type blocks inside the unit via electrical elements. The blocks come separate to the unit and put in at the point of installation as far as i remember.

The blocks are heated at night on the night saver electricity and because of their thermal properties, release the stored heat in them over the course of the following hours during the day.

Im no scientist, but i believe carbon monoxide is as a result of burning carbon fuels ie combustion, ala open fires and gas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

there are two types pf storage heater, standard and combi.
    the standard are straight forward and use elements to heat bricks internally.
    the combi have the above but have a convection type heater built into the unit also for instant heat if needed.
    they are priced by size/output and usually range from 0.7kw up to 2.8 kw.
    the most common brand for sale in this country are dimplex, distributed by dimpco which are between santry and the airport.
    the type in you living room/hall are probably combi type and sometimes they are used in conjunction with a night tarrif meter.
    if ye need pricing prob best to go trough your nearest wholesaler as most of the wholesalers deal with dimpco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

barryd09 wrote: »
    the storage heaters i have are maybe 10 or 12 years old,im guessing there are far more economical (and greener) new storage heaters now?
    so if thats the case changing them will in turn have them pay for themselves over time??

could anyone recommend a brand or particular type?

Not sure the newer ones would be much more efficient, but i could be wrong. You might get better returns from additional insulation etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

thanks for all the replies people.

will be considering all options.

• Advertisement
Advertisement