Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overshot jaw in pup

• 19-04-2011 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Hello all!
    My little girl Lola has a slightly overshot jaw and I've heard mixed views on the seriousness of this. She's 12wks old now and it's not very apparent.

From researching it online I've heard everything from it's not a big deal at all to stories of it affecting a dogs eating, gripping and general well-being!

The main thing seems to be that it's a very undesirable trait for a showdog but she's purely a pet, I don't care about that and she's absolutely perfect to me:)
    It doesn't affect her eating at all and she is well able to fetch and pick up things. Could this change down the line?

Basically, I just want to know do you think there will there be any health implications for her in time to come?

Thanks in advance for replies:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Our pup has had an overshot jaw from birth, sticks out quite a bit and is very very noticaceable, she's 18 months old now and still got it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

It depends how much of an overshoot there is. We used to have a malamute that had a very pronounced overshot upper jaw, I think it made her look cute:D She had no problems with eating or playing with the other dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

scudzilla wrote: »
    Our pup has had an overshot jaw from birth, sticks out quite a bit and is very very noticaceable, she's 18 months old now and still got it
    does it affect her in any way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

magentas wrote: »
    does it affect her in any way?

No, cos she's a boxer :P

Only time it does affect her is when she's finishin off her dinner and the food is in the corner of the bowl, we sometimes have to scoop it back into the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

scudzilla wrote: »
    No, cos she's a boxer :P

Only time it does affect her is when she's finishin off her dinner and the food is in the corner of the bowl, we sometimes have to scoop it back into the middle
    awh! cheers for the reply. once it doesn't affect her health or lessen her quality of life I'm happy. I can tell you though, there's never a thing left at mealtime, she's well able to lick her bowl clean!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

We had a rescue with an overbite. He was on the older side and the only problem he had, caused by the overbite, was his teeth were very unevenly worn down (particularly at the back). He ended up having to get some teeth out for a totally unrelated reason (who ever had him before us had let them rot in his head :mad:) but the overbite never caused problems - he ate, grabbed stuff etc. without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Depending on the severity of the the overbite it can also sometimes correct itself as the dog gets older. As Lola is still a very young pup I would give her a bit more time before I'd be convince it was going to be a lifelong problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

my pom / jr X who is about 18 months also has a slightly overshot jaw. shes never had any problems. looks super cute though! bit like one of the Alien aliens teethwise cos her lower teeth are always on display. the vet told us it was no problem. she drinks more than our other dog - i guess because her mouth gets drier. shes a very happy and crazy little thing.

Advertisement