Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Event catering - higher or lower prices ?

Options
  • 19-04-2011 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate forum, but it seemed like a suitable forum. Here's the pitch . . .

We've been quoted around €15 per head for an upcoming BBQ for a sports club. We would expect to have about 250-300 people there, but we would let the caterer know exact numbers before the day. This is understandable so they can get their quantities right.

Some people are saying this is a lot for a mass catered event and when you think about it, it actually is. We're talking burgers, ribs, chicken, etc . . . here. Even in the relatively expensive areas of event catering in the likes of Lansdowne Road or at a concert at the RDS I don't think you would pay that much.

Mind you, it mightn't be gourmet this or sauteed that in the RDS, but at a big event like a club day most people are just going to be expecting a burger, maybe a sausage or two, some greenery for the side of the plate, etc . . . they're not here for the fine dining experience.

On the other hand other people (mostly the supplier) are saying that this sort of stuff is expensive to cater, there's staff, wastage, facilities, etc . . . and I can see the point they're making. But it's just hard to justify €15 for what you could essentially cook up yourself for less than €5. I know that this sort of price comparison is the bane of every single suppliers life ("I could build that PC for half the price mister", "I can get one of those yokes in Lidl for €75, get up on the roof and do it myself and not pay yer man down the road the €150 he's looking for", etc . . .).

So, is €15 a head expensive for a mass catered BBQ ? Would we be better off arming a few of the dads with a crate of beer, 6 BBQs and the biggest pile of burgers you've ever seen ?

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

TBH it does seem a lot, when you take into account the price pp for the ingredients. And then these lads are getting it catering prices. So lets say a burger, chicken breast, sausage and side salads - wouldn't be more than a fiver a head. Then equipment, staff etc. A tenner would defo cover it.

If you have willing Dads & BBQs - I'd go to a butcher and do a deal. And I'm sure you can get catering salads somewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

olaola wrote: »
    If you have willing Dads & BBQs - I'd go to a butcher and do a deal. And I'm sure you can get catering salads somewhere too.

I was going to say the same, for anything else it mightn't be realistic, and it still might not be we don't know your exact situation, but for a BBQ it's definitely something that you could make a stab at doing yourselves, will save you money and could end up being a bit more craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Considering the €15 covers staff, food, equipment and public liability insurance it's not bad. Comparing it to a stand at a public event really isn't fair given the numbers are so limited, spreading staff and equipment over thousands as opposed to a few hundred will of course result in significantly lower prices. I'd be wary at having non-professionals cook at an event like that, you probably wouldn't be covered if anything happened as the dad's wouldn't have food safety training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Does that include VAT?
    If it does then it equates to 12.97 per person....not bad realy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its not a bad price at all when you consider you're catering for a load of people which means lots of food,equipment,mess etc etc..bbq volunteers are alrite when you've got ten or 20 guests but they can get bored standing there for ages and can mess the food up.

If i was you i'd go for it..pay the money and let the professionals do the work..maybe try to get them to drop the price by 2 euro a head if it really bothers you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement