Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Rockets Malts

Options
  • 19-04-2011 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Figured out the secret ingredient for these a few years ago........its Horlicks. When I was a kid I used e forced dink the stuff evey night before bed. Then I had a vanilla malt in Eddie Rockets and it came back to me that that was the ingredient....i.e. the malt. Its just vanilla icecream,milk, and Horlicks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's not really a secret ingredient
    It's not a secret that Malt shakes = milkshake with malt

Horlick is just a malt drink. Made with malt extract or similar
    I imagine Eddies use some generic brand of malt extract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I didn't think it was a secret either. I used to work there about 10 years ago and I thought it was very well known. It's not like they hide it or anything :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

No problem....yer welcome. Now that we have tracked down an " Eddie Rockets"
    chef........how do you make the burgers?
    watna wrote: »
    I didn't think it was a secret either. I used to work there about 10 years ago and I thought it was very well known. It's not like they hide it or anything :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Oh and also - the cheese sauce they use on the chips... I can just taste it clogging my arteries but I *LOVE* it! :)

Well, the sauce on the burgers is mayo and mustard mixed together. Otherwise, as far as I can recall they were made fresh in to patties by the chef with mince every morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Well, the sauce on the burgers is mayo and mustard mixed together.
    I knew it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The spicy seasoning they put on the regular fries is deadly, do you know what it is?

The sauces are 'rich sauces' iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

the stuff on the chips not just paprika powder

Tom1991 wrote: »
    the stuff on the chips not just paprika powder

Didnt think so? Looks similar alrite, but doesn't like it to me :confused:

pretty sure it is,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭Raoul

So how would I go about making a strawberry milkshake?? And what quantities do I need?

Can you get horlicks in any normal shop?

Plus is it just normal colmans mustard mixed in with hellmanns mayo?

Yes, it is definitely paprika that they put on the fries.

For the malt just put a few scoops of icecream and some milk with a tablespoon of Horlicks and whizz it up. That's all it is. The amount of milk depends on how thick you like it.

I'm not sure about the sauce, I think they bought it in ready mixed. I would be inclined to use a creamier mustard as oposed to a hot one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

It tastes like its dijon mustard in it to me.

Which would make the sauce plain old dijonaisse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's gorgeous though... the sauce

The seasoning on the chips is definitely paprika

So anyone try to make some of this sauce themselves?

I don't have any dijon mustard and I don't generally use it, so I am hesitant to go out and buy it just for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Helmans do a premade one as stated above. It's called dijonaise:

http://www.hellmanns.us/products/dijonnaise_mustard.aspx

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Helmans do a premade one as stated above. It's called dijonaise:

http://www.hellmanns.us/products/dijonnaise_mustard.aspx

Ohrite, thought that guy was just messing. ha :D

cheers.

lol nope, its a fairly standard sauce. Ready made versions availible pretty easily.
    I've no idea how close the Helmans one is to Eddie's. I'd guess that its more like mayo than mustard (haven't been to eddies in 3 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mellor wrote: »
    It's not really a secret ingredient
    It's not a secret that Malt shakes = milkshake with malt
    Walker34 wrote: »
    chef........how do you make the burgers?
    the secret ingredient is beef ;)
    , as far as I can recall they were made fresh in to patties by the chef with mince every morning.
    Was there any trick you recall? like what type of beef, how finely minced, do they really squish it together for a long time (I have heard of this done to evenly distribute the fat more), do they flip just once etc.

A guy has posted here several times saying his father owns Rich sauces who supply eddies and other places
    red_ice wrote: »
    rich-sauces make the best mayo ever! they also do all the sauces for eddie rockets and abrakebebra

you know... the stuff that abra water down so it drips down your right arm and you have to lick from the elbow up... ohh yes.
    Its rich sauces, eddies even have the logo on their menus, based in derry i think
    red_ice wrote: »
    i know it sounds a bit random... but my father actually created that sauce.. he is the southern ireland distributor for rich sauces.. started up the company too

PM me if you want his contact details

I would buy the mustard separate and blend your own pots. I used to make up little jars with ketchup, mayo, diced onions, gerkins, garlic & mustard. The onion permeates the sauce nicely when left to sit for a few days.

• Advertisement

Sorry - I wasn't involved in the patty making or cooking so I'm not sure. I just know that they are made fresh every morning (well they were when I worked there). I know it was quite good quality mince as well.

You guys are killing me here though - I'd love some Eddie Rockets now. :)

/drools

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Raoul wrote: »
    So how would I go about making a strawberry milkshake?? And what quantities do I need?

Can you get horlicks in any normal shop?

The weights etc were. 350g of strawberry ice-cream and 300g of milk....blend and hey presto.

Slightly off topic, but tasty :pac:

complimentary.jpg

Terms & Conditions

In order to claim your complimentary Rocket Rings offer this voucher must be presented [either by print-out or smartphone] at any Eddie Rocket's Diner. Voucher is non-transferable. No cash value. Redeemable from April 26th to May 31st 2011. Please note one offer per 2 customers, per table. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer. Cannot be used in conjunction with the 3 Make it a Combo offer.
    Eat in Only. One voucher per offer.

Advertisement