Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which city to pick near Trinity college?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

kamaseinu wrote: »
    Basically what I am searching for is a nice place to live with sympathic people and a not too dynamic town (let's even say a quiet town) and some quiet place with a river, trees, grass where you can have nice walks (if possible nice and longs walks) without any disturbance, at least one haven of peace, if there is also ruins or elements like that it would be a plus. I would be interested by a place with few noise, where I live in France, I hear cars every minutes, it's really annoying (I'm not even counting the number of cars that crossed the roundabout in front of my window during this message).
    You could try Chapelizod or Islandbridge, these are decent areas on the River Liffey and right next to Phoenix Park (one of the biggest urban parks in Europe, has its own herd of deer and everything). Islandbridge is within walking distance of the red line tram; from Chapelizod you'll be getting the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kamaseinu

To PKen : I'd rather like to be near Trinity college in case I got a problem (traffic or whatever) and I think it would be more suitable to be near Trinity (maybe I'm wrong).

I'm also seeking a place not so far from Trinity because I fear that my Erasmus' headteacher will be pissed if I choose a far-off city like Dun Laoghaire for example (which seems wonderful to me).

As someone said, I'm here in order to study too and I only seek a quiet place with natural elements. If I can go to Trinity by cycle it would save me some money. Then, places like Dun Laoghaire (for example) will be my top priorities as places to visit, not a problem if I do not live there since I can visit the area.

To HivemindXX : thanks for google link, I did not know this application. I'll check it.

After this afternoon and some searches, I think a place like Clontraf, Ringsend or Sandymount will tally with my desires. Do you think they are nices places? Or which one would be the best?

From what I have seen, they have lettings for good prices in Clontraf, or Ringsend, I do not think there is a lot of differences in the landscape between these areas.
    I've seen that Sandymount prices were more expensive (not only the rents) and that Ringsend had industries which smelled (not a problem though).
    They all have shops for whatever (or what one would need) and are close to DART or bus if really needed (the lettings in Clontraf are 1km to a bus if needed and 4km to Trinity).

But only people satisfied with Clontraf or Sandymount (except the prices in Sandymount).

From what I have seen, even of the areas near Dublin, your houses in Ireland seems beautiful, I think I would be really glad.

To not_even_wrong : I'll check more about Chapelizod, as I was also interested by the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

I think Clontarf would be great. Near the train,near the city centre,beside the coast.Easy to get to nice places of natural beauty like Malahide,Howth,Portmarnock,St Annes park in Raheny. Nearer to the airport. Id like to live there too :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I'm also seeking a place not so far from Trinity because I fear that my Erasmus' headteacher will be pissed if I choose a far-off city like Dun Laoghaire for example (which seems wonderful to me).

i think you are a bit confused with the layout of Dublin. Dun Laoghaire is by no means a "far-off City"

its a small town in Dublin which is probably the same distance away as Clontarf.

Dublin is really really small, really small, none of the places mentioned here are far far away

To me Dun Laoghaire was 15km to Dublin. I think it is a bit "far-off" in case I got a problem (traffic or anything) I'm not able to go to Trinity fast, that if why I was searching for areas not that far from Dublin.

But maybe I'm wrong, I was checking with googlemaps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

New poster here, usually lurk in the north County thread.

OP, you're a bit confused about the layout of Dublin.The city centre is very small. Areas like Sandymount, Clontarf, Raheny, Drumcondra....all are within a fairly quick (30mins or less) cycle from Trinity college. There are 3 main stations in Dublin city centre - Connolly, Tara Street and Pearse.Clontarf DART station is the last stop before Connolly.Raheny is about 20 mins from Tara Street. Sandymount is hardly any distance either.

Let me explain this - I live in Rush, in North County Dublin.I am a 40 min drive from the city centre (ie Trinity), with good traffic. Bad traffic, maybe 50 mins. And I consider myself to live in Dublin.

As a rule of thumb, anywhere within the M50, which is the road around the Dublin (check Google maps) tends to be considered Dublin city. (that's a very general rule of thumb!!!) You're looking at areas that were once suburbs but have now been swallowed up by the city. As a result, they tend to be busy and noisy, unless you're in one of the side streets.

Clontarf is nice, but it's probably a bit expensive. It is on the seafront, very busy depending on where you are.
    Drumcondra - also nice, can be busy, probably a bit pricey
    Sandymount - I'd imagine, very pricey (open to correction).It's on the seafront, basically runs into Ringsend, tends to be fairly busy.

If you want quiet, with open spaces, greenery etc, you'll have to go further afield, to say Portmarnock, Malahide, Dun Laoghaire, Glenageary....the price you pay for that is a longer commute (30mins or so by DART). But it can definitely be done, given that a huge proportion of people who come into Dublin every day live in those areas and further out.

I hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Leopardstown, Malahide, Cellbridge and Leixlip seems far to Trinity college to me. I have been searching for the time commute by bus, but I can only find the bus commute but no information about the time.
    People even said that Maynooth was far better than Leixlip.

Maynooth is a livelier town than Leixlip, with more pubs/restaraunts etc. but also quite historic, similar to Leixlip. The difference in atmosphere being that Maynooth is home to a university. It also has a giant supermarket, Leixlip does not have any big supermarkets. Maynooth, Leixlip and Celbridge are all lovely towns, plenty of historic buildings ruins (there's a fair few castles and old churches in all three), lots of greenery, walks etc. and farms. The commute from Leixlip is 35-40 minutes, by bus or train. Maynooth would be 45-50, by bus or train. Celbridge is the same by bus, it has a train service too but it is slightly outside the city centre and a good walk to Trinity. I commute from Leixlip to Trinity and/or work almost every day. It's fine, I don't find that it takes up too much of the day at all. The bus fare is €2.30. Some busses at peak times skip part of the journey, and they cost €2.60. These fares are the second highest in the bus service, so getting a student ricket means massive savings. €78 will get you a student 30-day non-consecutive bus ticket, so you don't have to worry about losing days. I worked it out ages ago that I save at least €50 a month, often more, by getting the ticket.

You might consider Lucan? It's actually in Dublin, the other three I mentioned are not. It's quite a big sprawly place though, unlike the other three. It IS closer though, and one of its busses takes an express routs for all journeys. Would take about 25-30 minutes, possibly less. Not as quiet as Leixlip, Maynooth and Celbridge though.

I would suggest either somewhere on the DART lines either. Ringsend, Clontarf, Sandymount, Whitehall, Drumcondra etc. and most of the other places you have mentioned are extremely convenient to Trinity, most are very walkable actually. But you won't get much quietness or greenery though, so if that's the most important part, I'd suggest places further out. Leixlip is actually not near as far as you'd think, it's about a 25 minute drive with very little traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'd also recommend checking out the different areas in Google Street View to see if they look like something that appeals to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

I'd recommend looking at Rathfarnham. It will be about 30 minutes on a bus to Trinity College. There's a small village, but also large stores like Tesco nearby, and a big shopping centre in Dundrum 10 minutes away too. There are some beautiful parks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Enda's_Park and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlay_Park) and you can walk to the Dublin mountains easily (you could even begin the Wicklow Way walk/trek which begins in Rathfarnham http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicklow_Way). There's plenty of housing estates around where you should be able to find something affordable, and also some new apartment complexes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Tbh, Dun Laoghaire is not far from trinity at all, it's on the DART line, along with several buses. I'm not sure what you'd see as an 'urgent problem'. You'll be in college during daytime hours, and home, when the admin buildings are closed. I'm an Erasmus student advisor in UCD, and there are never urgent problems that require a student to rush into college.

Besides that, a lot of Dublin uses QBCs / Bus Lanes, so traffic getting into the city is not a problem.

As nearly every other poster has said, check out Dun Laoghaire, Blackrock, Clontard etc.

• Advertisement

Thanks to all of you, I'll use googlestreetview then in order to make my own opinion.

I'm glad to know that it is not a problem to go from Dun Laoghaire to Trinity by bus, so I'll study every town and watch closely everything you said.

I have already been interested by the whole areas you mentioned, excepted Lucan so I'll watch how is Lucan by googlestreet too.

I'm a Trinity student living in Howth.
    Do anyone got an idea of the prices of a month commute by DART? (for a student). But I think the prices depends on distance, let's say the prices for a month for Howth to Trinity. On the official website I do not find the prices, only the 12€ student card.

I get an extra discount on my monthly Dart ticket, but friends of mine pay about 75-80€ for theirs, using a student travelcard which costs 12€ (for €15 they'll give you the card and take your photo for you). Clontarf/Fairview area sounds fine, near the Park I assume you're thinking of. Other than the park it isn't particularly peaceful but if you're near the Dart you can use your monthly ticket to go to other places (Howth really is beautiful, there's beach, piers, weekend markets, cliff walks and forest, and 2 golf clubs). By DART, it takes 30 mins from Howth to Trinity, 10 mins from Clontarf Road to Trinity, and 20 from Dun Laoghaire to Trinity. Pearse Street Dart station is literally right beside the college. If you're studying English, most of your lectures will be across on the opposite side of college from the Dart station, which is a 5 minute walk give or take a few minutes.

My 30 minute journey is actually quite quick in my opinion. The only thing you have to bear in mind is that Irish transport isn't as reliable as French transport. Darts will usually be 2 minutes early on the northside, with the occasional late departure. However, buses are far less reliable. They've just installed live update signs at a lot of bus stops, which I can't comment on, but buses on the northside of Dublin can be a bit early or very late or sometimes not come at all. Then there's the traffic. If you take the Dart, there's no traffic, whereas with the bus there is. To get to trinity you'll be in city centre traffic, which has been known to have an average speed equal to that of walking (That's a fact, not a joke). I would definitely recommend either cycling or taking the Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

To be honest, Dun Laoghaire would be a pretty solid choice. A weekly student bus ticket is only €15.90 and the 46a & 7 both go through Dun Laoghaire and drop you off relatively close to Trinity, there both very frequent aswel. There is also a DART station for the times when traffic is bad. Its got a decent harbour view area, can be pricey in some parts to rent but not if you get room-mates, you would be looking at around 400+ a month (based on my own experience) and it has pretty much everything you need in the town aswel regarding shops and that. Can be a fair few dodgy people about but they mainly stick to The Lion Bar and up that area.

Howth/Sutton/Malahide/Clontarf are all very similar aswel - bus and DART service these area's, plenty of shops etc but rent would be fairly high and in places like Sutton/Howth it might be harder to find apartments as they are slightly older area's with alot of older large houses which are pricey rent wise.

Also, no need to worry about the distance of the area's in relation to Trinity. Once its on the DART line your grand and since nearly all area's mentioned have bus routes through them, commuting wouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Hello,

As a french student in English, I'm going to move to Ireland over one or two years. I will study at Trinity college.

I'm seeking for a sympathic place to live. I'd prefer live in the countryside rather than in a dynamic town like Dublin. I like small villages, I'm not deeply attracted by Dublin, which is, to me, too dynamic to live there all day.

I like nature and environment, a quiet place would be nice, with a beautiful landscape in order to lift my spirit and with a nice community too (no doubt Irish people is nice, but I've heard some people saying some places in Ireland especially near Dublin are "filled" with jerks).
    As Irish people, I would be glad to have your opinion.
    Of course I'm also seeking a town near Trinity college, in order to move to Trinity without problems each days (the bus is not cheaper, I've seen prices like 85€/month for a student!).

I've already found the seaside town named Clontraf which seems to me really calm and original. Only 7km to Trinity.

I've also seen other towns as :

Whitehall, Drumcondra, Fairview, Johnstown, Golden Bridge, Crumlin, Harold's cross, Rathgar, Rathmines, Castleknock, Glasnevin, Ranelagh, Portobello, Kilnamanagh, ChristChurch, Ringsend, Donnycarney, Killester, Marino, Rialto, Chapelizod, Ballsbridge, Terenure, Sandymount.

What do you think of these cities? (sorry if I posted too much of them).

If you suggest me another cities, I would be glad too.
    The biggest problem in order to make my opinion is that I do not find enough data about these cities, few websites, few videos or pictures about these towns. Only a lot for Dublin.

Thank you for replying.
    [/FONT]

Ballymun isnt too dynamic love

Advertisement