Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike issue

• 19-04-2011 8:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Folks, I purchased a motorcycle from a dealer a few days ago, when i was looking at it i asked "was it Irish" and he said yes, it was on an irish plate at the time.

When he delivered the bike i asked him when he was finished will Shannon send on the log book ? he said yes, BUT, there was a mistake made when it was registered from England and the colour is wrong on the logbook, told me easily changed etc and went on his way.

Anyway, a few alarm bells rang and i checked it out through a checking site and it came back that when it was reg in the uk 8 years ago it was reg as black, the current irish reg colour is also black and now the bike i have is red.

All the VIN numbers are correct so frame is original.

I went with and trusted a dealer to avoid this very issue, if i went with adverts or donedeal i would have checked the history a bit more tbh.

It seems that the bike was crashed and all the fairing and tank changed, this is all i can come up with, IMO he should have told me all this information as it was pretty relevent, he, the seller has certain obligations under law to be upfront and honest also.

I will be meeting him later to discuss this but what are my rights here if i want him to take it back and give me a refund ? I dont want to end up with a lemon in 6 months when i sell it on and the buyer checks the previous history and sees the colour discrepency.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Motorbikes

dudara

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Bring it back and get a refund, there are enough clean bikes out there to not have to put up with this sort of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

How old is the bike? What kind of bike is it? Was it very expensive? You can get the colour changed over in Shannon.

The risk of buying a bike with a 'past' is par for the course. You have to be just as diligent with newer ones let alone older ones. You will still usually have to take a swallow and chance it. In all probability the bike is 100%. The first thing to do is get the bike checked over by someone else and verify whether you have something to be suspicious about. If the bike proves to be 100%, I'd advise you to get the paperwork sorted and get on with your life.

I repainted my grey Blackbird green last year. It had lots of minor battle scars and was a bit rough. I thought 'sher I may as well change the colour just for full effect'. The bike was 100% by the time all was said and done and was all the better for the attention it got 'as-I-was-in-there'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

and name and shame...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well certainly name....so others can be wary! Dont say anything on here that might come back at you. This is an open forum that is TROLLED by many a person that might not be on your side so to speak.

But deffo name the dealer and let us know how you got on.....

Best of Luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Bring it back and get a refund, there are enough clean bikes out there to not have to put up with this sort of crap.

This is what I would do.

He did not give you the information at the time of the sale.
    I think that you are within your rights to ask for a full refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

bike.issue wrote: »
    Folks, I purchased a motorcycle from a dealer a few days ago, when i was looking at it i asked "was it Irish" and he said yes, it was on an irish plate at the time.

When he delivered the bike i asked him when he was finished will Shannon send on the log book ? he said yes, BUT, there was a mistake made when it was registered from England and the colour is wrong on the logbook, told me easily changed etc and went on his way.

Anyway, a few alarm bells rang and i checked it out through a checking site and it came back that when it was reg in the uk 8 years ago it was reg as black, the current irish reg colour is also black and now the bike i have is red.

All the VIN numbers are correct so frame is original.

I went with and trusted a dealer to avoid this very issue, if i went with adverts or donedeal i would have checked the history a bit more tbh.

It seems that the bike was crashed and all the fairing and tank changed, this is all i can come up with, IMO he should have told me all this information as it was pretty relevent, he, the seller has certain obligations under law to be upfront and honest also.

I will be meeting him later to discuss this but what are my rights here if i want him to take it back and give me a refund ? I dont want to end up with a lemon in 6 months when i sell it on and the buyer checks the previous history and sees the colour discrepency.

1st thing, never trust a seller. Do the same checks for dealers as private sales.

2nd did you ask was the bike crashed? If not then the dealer did nothing legally wrong.

Definitely go back to the dealer but if you didn't ask the dealer the right questions they've no legal obligation to inform you. They may have a moral one but that doesn't pay the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bike.issue

Quick update.

Went back to the dealer yesterday and explained my concerns, he was not aware of the bikes past and sold it in good faith, i explained why i wanted a refund and all monies have been returned along with the bike.

Always do your homework !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Good stuff.

Now, off bike shopping with you!

Advertisement