Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plants that slugs hate?????

Options
  • 19-04-2011 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi there -

You will have seen my other thread about how slugs are attacking my new lupins and delphiniums.

Given that I have small children many of the solutions (like beer traps) and copper collars (useful bracelets for a small girl) won't really work.

So, I thought it might be useful to compile a list of plants that slugs don't like. I'm also particularly interested in slug resistent perennials and plants/shrubs suitable for smaller suburban gardens that have more than one season of interest.

Here's my list so far, please do add to it so we can all avoid some expensive mistakes;

Slug resistent perennials:
    poppies
    dicentra spectabilis
    marguerites

slug resistent bulbs:
    tulips
    daffs
    irises (but not lillies)
    agapanthus
    tigridia
    gladioli

Other slug resistent plants:
    angel's fishing rods
    arum lilly
    watsonii
    lavender
    roses
    camellia
    phormiums
    evergreen shrubs such as hebe
    hydrangea

any others?

And maybe for reference: plants slugs love:
    sunflowers
    delphiniums
    dahlias
    rudebeckia/echinacea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭AbsentPonderer

slugs started to eat my pansies lately! and they were in a high enough container! what a dirty shower ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

slugs started to eat my pansies lately! and they were in a high enough container! what a dirty shower ha!

Spray the container / raised bed with WD40 to keep slugs at bay ! I think its the smell of the stuff that they can't stand

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Nematodes are the way to go. Or get some toads or ducks.
    Dont know of any slug resistant plant bar a cactus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Pelargonium (I used to think of them as geraniums)

But then again, they seem to eat anything is there is nothing else about. This year, they scaled the daffodil stalks, ate the outer leaves and slithered their way back down again. It took me a couple of days to realise what was going on. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭robin3

Good idea, my poor little sunflowers have been disappearing still inside on the window sill but planted in regular garden soil not compost and for a few days wondering what was happening but then spotted a small baby slug who seemed to have developed quite a taste for them.
    Hoping they don't get my strawberries, going to try putting straw around them, I've also heard people breaking up egg shells into a circle around a plant they want to protect or salt used in the same way. I'll let you know how I get on!

• Advertisement
Advertisement