Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ivan Yates & British soccer

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Wow this topic proved to be far more entertaining than expected :)

On-topic: It seems to be the thing with shows that at least one of the sports bulletins involves chit-chat between the presenter & sports readers, newstalk is no different on this one. Yes he (Ivan) talks about Man City a bit, but meh, no big deal (they're already talking football/sport)

Slightly off-topic: I don't like football/soccer. But I recognise it's a big sport in this country. It's definitely not a minority sport, and people have to just face it that it will make up a large part of any sports bulletin. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Most people in Ireland have no interest in soccer, never mind British soccer.

Not to add fuel to the fire - but this is one of the most ludicrous and silly statements I have ever seen on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Keyzer wrote: »
    Not to add fuel to the fire - but this is one of the most ludicrous and silly statements I have ever seen on Boards.

As with other people on the thread you seem to be incapable of understanding the words "most people in Ireland". As the OP showed, soccer is in reality a minority interest in Ireland.

As for being "ludicrous and silly" claiming as you are that over half of Ireland's population ("most people in Ireland") follow British soccer is precisely that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

dulpit wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic: I don't like football/soccer. But I recognise it's a big sport in this country. It's definitely not a minority sport, and people have to just face it that it will make up a large part of any sports bulletin. :pac:

It definitely is. Will you please then show evidence for the majority of Ireland's population - that is over 2.5 million people - playing or following it?

Seanchai wrote: »
    It definitely is. Will you please then show evidence for the majority of Ireland's population - that is over 2.5 million people - playing or following it?

You will be able to provide numbers for people who play soccer, but what about those who simply watch it? How do you propose this be counted?

But look at the numbers who are in pubs on Tuesday & Wednesdays for Champions League games, or the amount of coverage provided on radios and tvs, and in newspapers. This isn't a fluke, it's most definitely the main (or one of the main, could be gaelic football) sports in this country...
    this is all based of course of my own observations and nothing else

Oh an @OP: If Ivan Yates (or any other presenter) spent the same amount of time discussing Wexford GAA, or Leinster Rugby, or some other sports team, would you have an issue?

Is your problem the fact that he spends time on his team or that it's a football team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Keyzer wrote: »

that the statement was politically motivated only adds to the redicolousness

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭malcolmplex

So essentially this is just a anti-British issue not a radio one.Maybe a quick J Arthur Rank followed by decommisioning your armchair and going for a walk might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

And on that final comment I think one shall close this thread. Thanks to all who tried to make it into a proper debate but maybe I was even a little ambitious..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement