Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cat died

• 19-04-2011 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

I found my cat on the road this morning and i'm crushed. I feel like I can't breathe. When will I feel ok?

Does anyone have any experience with cremations, they have offered me group and solo. There is a price difference but hate the idea of group cremations. But then again what would I do with her ashes. I'm all confused and upset.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Sorry to hear that. I had my dog put to sleep yesterday. It was recommened we neither bury nor take the ashes but rather let the vet handle it and make a donation.

As for how long it will take to feel better. I don't know. Im still rough about it but not as bad as the initial shock. I think you should feel better about it in a few days hopefully. It's horrible in the hours afterwards that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

audreyp wrote: »

Does anyone have any experience with cremations, they have offered me group and solo. There is a price difference but hate the idea of group cremations. But then again what would I do with her ashes. I'm all confused and upset.
    Sorry to hear that OP. I got my dog individually cremated and received her ashes back in a scatter tube. I had intended scattering them on the beach but just couldnt bring myself to do it. The colourful tube now sits with a photo of her and her collar on a side table in the sitting room.

Theres various options of vessels to get your cat back in, scatter tube being the cheapest. Check out Pet Crematorium Irelands casket list
    You could also just bury her in your garden if you have one, which is what we did with our cat. It is illegal though just be aware of that.
    wrote:
    It was recommened we neither bury nor take the ashes but rather let the vet handle it and make a donation.

Darkman, so sorry you had to make that final decision. Im very surprised your vet didnt give you the option of cremation or burial at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

I found my cat on the road this morning and i'm crushed. I feel like I can't breathe. When will I feel ok?

hi audreyp,

very sorry to hear about your cat. We lost one of ours in February. The first few days are the hardest.
    About cremation. Our vet referred us to this service:
    http://petcrematoriumireland.com/roi/index.htm
    We had to pay the vet and they handled everything on our behalf. I decided to go for the individual cremation and asked for the wooden "sleeping cat" casket. I keep the casket in a place where he used to hide sometimes for a quiet nap. I know it's a difficult decision but I am relieved that we have his ashes back. miss him a lot.
    sf

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Thank you very much, we don't really have much of a garden so that's not an option for us. I hate the idea of a group burial it sounds so barbaric to me. The vet quoted us 237 which is a lot for a casket but think she is worth a million. I'm so crushed, feel like i'll never be ok again.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. I had my dog put to sleep yesterday. It was recommened we neither bury nor take the ashes but rather let the vet handle it and make a donation.

As for how long it will take to feel better. I don't know. Im still rough about it but not as bad as the initial shock. I think you should feel better about it in a few days hopefully. It's horrible in the hours afterwards that's for sure.

So sorry to hear about your dog, I can definitely sympathise this morning :-(

• Advertisement

scaryfairy wrote: »
    hi audreyp,

very sorry to hear about your cat. We lost one of ours in February. The first few days are the hardest.
    About cremation. Our vet referred us to this service:
    http://petcrematoriumireland.com/roi/index.htm
    We had to pay the vet and they handled everything on our behalf. I decided to go for the individual cremation and asked for the wooden "sleeping cat" casket. I keep the casket in a place where he used to hide sometimes for a quiet nap. I know it's a difficult decision but I am relieved that we have his ashes back. miss him a lot.
    sf

Thank you, I feel the need to give her a send off. I also want to scatter her ashes on the beach, i'm not sure if i'll be strong enough for that, I hope so though because she loved water. Always happiest splashing in the kitchen sink.

It makes me so sad because she spent 4 days in the vets 2 weeks ago with a bladder infection and inflammation and after all that she was just getting back to normal and this happened :(

Sorry another question. My cat has a brother. Will he grieve? There is a chance he seen her on the road. What should I do? Will he miss her? I'm at a complete loss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Sorry Audrey, I can't help you but I just wanted to say sorry for your loss x I cannot imagine the pain you are going through.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 141 ✭✭moomooman

Very sorry to hear about your cat.

I was absolutely devasted when I had to have my cat put down, had to take her into UCD on St. Stephens day. Horrible. Had her 20 years since I was 10, and I was bawling in the vets, couldnt even speak, boys dont cry :rolleyes:

It will take a couple of days before you can breath normally, then try to put it out of your mind for a while (sounds callous) but in a few months you'll be able to laugh about all the stuff they did without wanting to cry about it.

The aftermath is a miserable time but it does get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The vet quoted us 237 which is a lot for a casket but think she is worth a million. I'm so crushed, feel like i'll never be ok again.
    Far too expensive...it should be ~€120 for a cat. Ring the crematorium direct and ask them for a quote, your vet is ripping you off sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Sorry another question. My cat has a brother. Will he grieve? There is a chance he seen her on the road. What should I do? Will he miss her? I'm at a complete loss!

hi,

our other cat (they spent 8 years, basically all their lives together) was off sorts for about a week (cried a lot in a way that he hadn't before and hasn't since), and became very clingy and anxious - wanted us more than ever to play with him, give him cuddles etc. and stuff he never did before: crying at night, calling us, wanting to come to our bedroom. After much deliberation last week we adopted a 6-month old female kitten from DSPCA and I think it is already doing him (and her and us) a lot of good. she is in no way a replacement, she is our kitty in her own right, and you are of course very far from this stage, but that's how it has worked out for us.

re costs of casket: it's all very blurred in my mind, but we paid I think around the mark you mentioned.
    sf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Damn, that must have been hard for you to find her on the road like that.

You're obviously hurting bigtime and will no doubt miss her.

We buried the family cat in the back garden a couple of months ago and I have to say I was quite flummoxed about the whole thing and still miss the mad bugger. He was 12 and died at home from kidney failure.

I think there's a pet bereavement board here somewhere cos I was looking at it recently - if you wanna throw up a pic people are really kind there.

Wishing you all the best.

J.

scaryfairy wrote: »
    hi,

our other cat (they spent 8 years, basically all their lives together) was off sorts for about a week (cried a lot in a way that he hadn't before and hasn't since), and became very clingy and anxious - wanted us more than ever to play with him, give him cuddles etc. and stuff he never did before: crying at night, calling us, wanting to come to our bedroom. After much deliberation last week we adopted a 6-month old female kitten from DSPCA and I think it is already doing him (and her and us) a lot of good. she is in no way a replacement, she is our kitty in her own right, and you are of course very far from this stage, but that's how it has worked out for us.

re costs of casket: it's all very blurred in my mind, but we paid I think around the mark you mentioned.
    sf

When our cat Puds was in the vet a couple of weeks ago our other cat was quite distraught that she was gone and kept looking around for her in the house. I hope he is ok. He hasn't come home yet but he make a racket during the night so he is probably about. He isn't half a reliable as she was.

I have already been thinking about getting another cat. I know its too soon now but as its kitten season if I put my name down now it would be late June before we got him/her. I know its very soon but feel this huge void in my life without her. The kitten wouldn't be a replacement in any shape or form as puds was a very unique cat. We used to call her Gizmo as she couldn't even squeal or cry it always came out as a squeak. I miss her so much.

Thank you everyone for your kind replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Oh god.I was there a few months ago.It is crushing, as you say.

I can't offer any advice, but it does get better. Let it take it's time. Most posters here know that we adopted 2 from a cattery several months later. They're fantastic, but the first has a spot in both our hearts still.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

Op it is likely that your other cat will grieve, but more likely than not he will deal with it in his own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

OP my heart is just breaking for you, i'm so sorry for your loss. :( We almost lost our cat Ollie recently to a road accident and were beside ourselves so I can only imagine what you're going through. I'm sorry I can't offer and advice but my thoughts are with you. I hope it gets easier with time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Im very sorry Audrey i know how hard it is , we lost our ginger of 12 years just before Christmas. Our 2nd cat however seemed to suffer no ill effects from the loss and was his usual jovial self which helped us alot in our grief during the first few days.

Thanks for your wishes. Boots (my other cat) came home yesterday evening. We were really relieved. We thought he went to find her. He seems ok, a bit cuddlier than normal which is unusual as he is playfully known as Mr Grumps.

He woke me up last night and I spent about 10 minutes cuddling him, I am probably starting a very bad habit.

I feel numb today, but songs etc are all triggering a big crying fit. I miss her. Such a senseless loss :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nobody3

Like any bereavement, it takes time. You'll have memories of happier times to keep you going.

When mine was run over, I buried her in the garden. Found a nice cat ornament in the garden centre to mark the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tanya1988

I had my cat for 17 years, In the end she had to be put down as she caughty FIV (cat aid's)the vet said she was not in pain but it got to the stage where she was coughin up blood so straight away i did not think it was fair on her, it killed me to put her asleep, its been 3 years since and each day I miss her even more. I would reccoment crimnation I think its a wonderful idea but make sure its a solo one so your getting back only your pets asshes at least then if you move etc. You can always bring them with you. its a lovely thing because there still with you and always will be. I know what its like to have a cat knocked down one of my previous cats was knocked down it was horryfing :( Ive two maine coons at the moment there little friendly giants i love them & I paid €150 for the cremination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I lost my beloved cat, Mog, who was 15.5 years old, over two years ago. I still cry for him, but not the racking sobs of the first few weeks. I was so distraught when he died (was pts with end stage kidney failure) that I had to go to the doctor myself.
    I had him cremated, cant remember the cost but I know I found it hard to get at the time but felt I had to. He was cremated on his own and I have his ashes in a wooden box with an inscribed plaque and have a framed picture of him beside it in my kitchen. At Christmas I drape his stocking over it and I regularly pick up the box and give it a cuddle and a kiss. And I talk to him too.
    He was like a child to me and I took his passing very badly. But now I can look back on memories and smile, although there may still be a few tears.
    I found a website called www.petloss.com a great comfort to me.
    I hope you feel better soon. XX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

So sorry Audreyp that you lost your little pet. Its devastating when it happens but it gets easier as time goes by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Oh audreyp, I'm so sorry. You poor thing. I'm always afraid of the same thing happening, so I really empathise.

At least you found her though. It's better spending the rest of your life worrying about what might have happened to her.

I hope you're starting to do a bit better now.
    xx

Thanks to everyone on your replies and advice. I'm doing a bit better now. It's easier to control how i'm feeling. I miss her terribly though. Everytime I think of her I get close to tears again so trying not to think of her. Don't think i'm strong enough at the moment. Her brother boots is doing ok, he is definitely much more clingy than normal and demanding a lot of attention. He was looking for her on Saturday which broke my heart.

Thanks again to everyone who has contacted me, it really helped to hear other people's stories.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Real sorry to hear about your cat op :'(.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ollie182

I just thought I'd post a comment to say that I am awfully awfully sorry for your loss. Just smile knowing you gave your kitty the best life they could have had. x

Advertisement