Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby 2011 Video Games

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

molloyjh wrote: »
    Well my impatience got the better of me. I've ordered RC from NZ as it's out there now. Not sure exactly when it will arrive, but hopefully it won't take more than a week or so!

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/PS3/All-Blacks-Rugby-Challenge/9196851/

Here you go...10-15 working days delivery time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

stall on mate!

just doing some research.
    Fishpond will sell it to you (inc shipping) for $nz 107.50 with delivery os 6-10 days. as opposed to mightape at $nz 131.99 and 10-15 days delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭twinytwo

the game paly looks way smoother than wc game 11,think ill hold out for rc,no point in buying 2 game if one is crap

Jesus both hayes and buckley in the same scrum at the same time... and it stays up... i wish:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,792 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Cancelled my gamestop pre-order and am going to import. Fishpond is the cheapest but have gotten terrible customer reviews....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=258593034152901

Thats a link to TruBlu's facebook which lists www.alternativesoftware.com as a distribution partner for the UK & Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Fishpond is cheap enough for Xbox but unfortunately the PS3 version is a little more expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

$124 for Rugby Challenge through Fishpond without shipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Can't get over the basic errors in online play in RWC 2011; they have no stat tracking at all and if you get up a try or two your opponent invariably drops out because they know it has zero consequence. Things like that are hardly budget issues, just lazy development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Syferus wrote: »
    Can't get over the basic errors in online play in RWC 2011; they have no stat tracking at all and if you get up a try or two your opponent invariably drops out because they know it has zero consequence. Things like that are hardly budget issues, just lazy development.

i have no motive to defend HB, however your statment is not necessarily correct, it could be a budget issue if they didn't have the staff numbers to do everything they wished and had to prioritize and they didnt do what you are talking about.

Possibility. However, RWC 2011 is muck and HB suck :)

mystic86 wrote: »
    i have no motive to defend HB, however your statment is not necessarily correct, it could be a budget issue if they didn't have the staff numbers to do everything they wished and had to prioritize and they didnt do what you are talking about.

Possibility. However, RWC 2011 is muck and HB suck :)

In terms of what it takes to write stat-tracking code for something that by it's nature is easily record-able, it can be a one-man job. There's no modeling to do, nothing to really create besides a way of caching information already available.

It's such a hard product to comprehend; they spent all their budget one the licenses clearly, but not even keeping fudged club teams, career mode or any of the other options that made Rugby 08 enjoyable is hard to fathom when the entirety of what they made for this release was a few borderline last-gen player models and a dozen or so stadiums. Almost everything else is copy and pasted from a four year-old game.

This is a developer that still does alot of work for EA Sports so for them to sleep on a sports game like this is almost unforgivable, EA wouldn't contract out to these guys if this was the standard level of their effort.

Maybe they were planning on this game being the FIFA WC to a future 'regular' Rugby 12 game but a game coming out after a hiatus of four years doesn't have that sort of luxury because a mis-step here could end the series. Indeed of RC is half a good as it looks HB Studios' time may have passed.

• Advertisement

In terms of what it takes to write stat-tracking code for something that by it's nature is easily record-able, it can be a one-man job. There's no modeling to do, nothing to really create besides a way of caching information already available.

It's such a hard product to comprehend; they spent all their budget one the licenses clearly, but not even keeping fudged club teams, career mode or any of the other options that made Rugby 08 enjoyable is hard to fathom when the entirety of what they made for this release was a few borderline last-gen player models and a dozen or so stadiums. Almost everything else is copy and pasted from a four year-old game.

This is a developer that still does alot of work for EA Sports so for them to sleep on a sports game like this is almost unforgivable, EA wouldn't contract out to these guys if this was the standard level of their effort.

Maybe they were planning on this game being the FIFA WC to a future 'regular' Rugby 12 game but a game coming out after a hiatus of four years doesn't have that sort of luxury because a mis-step here could end the series. Indeed of RC is half a good as it looks HB Studios' time may have passed.

I hear ya, you're right its a joke. was just pointing out you cant make a definitive statement on their internal situation.

Ps don't be dissing Fifa WC 2011 it is awesome and better than fifa 11 :)

I hear ya, you're right its a joke. was just pointing out you cant make a definitive statement on their internal situation.

Ps don't be dissing Fifa WC 2011 it is awesome and better than fifa 11 :)

Oh absolutely. FIFA WC 2010 was a fantastic tournament game and light years ahead of RWC 2011 in terms of giving a flavour to the event it's trying to capture.

Oh absolutely. FIFA WC 2010 was a fantastic tournament game and light years ahead of RWC 2011 in terms of giving a flavour to the event it's trying to capture.

woops, ya i meant fifa wc 2010 not fifa wc 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I emailed the supposed distributors of Rugby challenge in the UK & Ireland and they seem to be in the dark about developments too.
    Sorry but HES have not yet been able to confirm with us the European Release date, due to unforeseen issues.
    Please see their news release below,
    Rest assured we too wish to release the game just as soon as is possible, and all that can be done, is being done to facilitate this

Kind Regards
    Dave
    Customer Support
    Alternative Software Ltd

I've succumbed to the temptation and ordered from NZ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Some footage of a edited Ireland and Wales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

The commentary is fairly dreadful isn't it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭budhabob

B0X wrote: »

Ya, to be fair its pretty much expected. Sport games are the ideal games to stream music over the commentary and ignore it. Game play and graffics certainly look alot better than RWC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

They could have tried a bit harder though, the tonal differences between words in a sentence makes it sound very robotic. Dare I say that the RWC commentary is better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭budhabob

They could have tried a bit harder though, the tonal differences between words in a sentence makes it sound very robotic. Dare I say that the RWC commentary is better?

I agree,its a shame it doesn't flow. And I would say the commentary on rwc certainly seems better from the demo. That's seems to be the only place it falls down in comparison though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Yeah it's pretty bad alright. Justin Marshall sounds like he's reading his lines with a gun to his head.

Then again Pro Evo had appalling commentary for years (and still does) but nobody minded as the gameplay was so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeh I'm not bothered by the commentary to be honest. It looks far superior to RWC in the gameplay aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BrianOFlanagan

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1191605p2.html

2nd page of this review says there are no set play options. Surely that can't be right?

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1191605p2.html

2nd page of this review says there are no set play options. Surely that can't be right?

that is correct. pity

that is correct. pity

so there are set plays such as "tell the fly half to drop into the pocket to line up a drop goal", but you just can't edit them?

so there are set plays such as "tell the fly half to drop into the pocket to line up a drop goal", but you just can't edit them?

there are none mate.

there are none mate.

good christ, that is some over sight on their part. I dunno about this game anymore, looks too be the better of a not great pair.

good christ, that is some over sight on their part. I dunno about this game anymore, looks too be the better of a not great pair.

it wasnt an oversight. just didnt make it in. it will do if there will be a sequel. sidhe are small team of developers and tru blu are small publishers, in the bigger picture.

its a pity alright.

You can pass to the out-half for a kick, but thats about t. The AI does run switches and stuff though.

• Advertisement

You can pass to the out-half for a kick, but thats about it. The AI does run switches and stuff though.

Advertisement