Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby 2011 Video Games

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

Rugby World Cup 2011 Official Game fail - one of many. Apparently you're not allowed score a drop goal if the ball lands in the in-goal area, just goes back for a scrum...

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

Rugby World Cup 2011 Official Game fail - one of many. Apparently you're not allowed score a drop goal if the ball lands in the in-goal area, just goes back for a scrum...

that is brutal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Maybe it's a glitch due to it hitting the crossbar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

RC is still vastly superior to RWC. Better graphics, neither commentary is up to scratch, far more teams even when compared to non-RWC games and far more advanced gameplay.

BDJW wrote: »
    Maybe it's a glitch due to it hitting the crossbar?

It actually isn't, 'cause later on the same thing happened without it hitting the crossbar!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Its to do with the type of kick you make - i recreated it today. So if you score with a "punt" kick, its not a drop goal. only if you score with a drop goal kick :(

Crash wrote: »
    Its to do with the type of kick you make - i recreated it today. So if you score with a "punt" kick, its not a drop goal. only if you score with a drop goal kick :(

Pity you can't see it on the replay, but it was definitely a drop kick, the red drop kick aiming arrow instead of the green "punt" arrow came up and all! Mad, mad game, so many errors it's ridiculous. Seriously regretting I didn't just order Rugby Challenge off fishpond when it was ridiculously cheap, worked out at something like €63.50 and I would've gotten it on Tuesday. Now the prices've gone up and I've a feeling it'll be released sooner rather than later here. Plus apparently Rugby Challenge has a fair few of its own bugs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Yesterday after I had scored around 100 tries on RWC demo while I was playing my brother, I scored the first try in the game that was actually good. Some notable bugs/glitches/faults/errors:
    Whoever is running is guaranteed to catch a kick.
    Pressing A (Xbox) or X (PS) guarantees you to steal an opponent's lineout.
    Very often while you are defending you will suddenly control no one, and the CPU is a very bad tackler.
    The scrum half is typically a big idiot. He can often be found throwing the ball into the post around his own goal line or simply dropping the ball when he's meant to pass, gifting a try.
    There is still a problem with kicking when anyone is near you, you will knock on.
    Often random penalties are awarded in the middle of the halfway line.

Can anyone tell me if these are in the real game?

matthew8 wrote: »
    Yesterday after I had scored around 100 tries on RWC demo while I was playing my brother, I scored the first try in the game that was actually good. Some notable bugs/glitches/faults/errors:
    Whoever is running is guaranteed to catch a kick.
    Pressing A (Xbox) or X (PS) guarantees you to steal an opponent's lineout.
    Very often while you are defending you will suddenly control no one, and the CPU is a very bad tackler.
    The scrum half is typically a big idiot. He can often be found throwing the ball into the post around his own goal line or simply dropping the ball when he's meant to pass, gifting a try.
    There is still a problem with kicking when anyone is near you, you will knock on.
    Often random penalties are awarded in the middle of the halfway line.

Can anyone tell me if these are in the real game?

Yes, and many more such as the above video. Note also that most penalty infringements made behind the half way line suddenly are brought up to the half way line, and thus kick at goal-able from 50 metres. Truly an awful game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Play.com seem to think Rugby Challenge is out on Friday, 9th September.
    http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/22030804/Jonah-Lomu-Rugby-Challenge/Product.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Play.com seem to think Rugby Challenge is out on Friday, 9th September.
    http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/22030804/Jonah-Lomu-Rugby-Challenge/Product.html

How long has that date been there. That was the original placeholder date, IIRC.
    Crash wrote: »

Yeah, I tried it a few times and was always awarded points (when I got the ball over between the posts, that is)

tolosenc wrote: »
    How long has that date been there. That was the original placeholder date, IIRC.

Yeah, I tried it a few times and was always awarded points (when I got the ball over between the posts, that is)

It happened later on except this time it didn't hit the posts (but went through regardless) and again, sent back for a scrum. The only similarity we found between the two instances was that in both cases the ball had landed in the in goal area once it'd gone through the posts? Maybe it was just two freak glitches, but we were going for the drop goal achievements, and drop goals were awarded if they landed past the dead ball line. Weird bug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I played the WC proper in the EA game with Canada. Won 3 and lost 1 in the pool. Then after those games I get back to the campaign screen the actual pool table has me down as losing all 4 games even though the proper score difference it there and the results were right on the fixtures/results section. I was fairly p*ssed off with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

Rugby Rules a bit patchy but from what I believe . . . .

Your not allowed score a drop goal directly off a 1st phase possession. i.e you can't pass from scrum to outhalf to drop kick it, there must be a phase inbetween either ruck maul etc.

So going from that the game is right (don't know about the rest of its flaws though!!!)

It does remind me of the first EA rugby game where if a pass was misplaced and went into touch it was a free kick to the other team. (a literal following of deliberately throwing the ball into touch!)

BTW I stand to be corrected but that has always been my interpretation of the rules of drop goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Rugby Rules a bit patchy but from what I believe . . . .

Your not allowed score a drop goal directly off a 1st phase possession. i.e you can't pass from scrum to outhalf to drop kick it, there must be a phase inbetween either ruck maul etc.

So going from that the game is right (don't know about the rest of its flaws though!!!)

It does remind me of the first EA rugby game where if a pass was misplaced and went into touch it was a free kick to the other team. (a literal following of deliberately throwing the ball into touch!)

BTW I stand to be corrected but that has always been my interpretation of the rules of drop goal.

^ Not quite.

That restriction (no drop goal from a scrum) applies only to a scrum taken in place of a free kick/penalty (Law 9.A.1 and Law 21.6). I don't know if the play shown above was scrum in lieu of free kick/penalty - maybe the poster can enlighten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

in the last minute of a game in RWC 2011, my friend was beating me by 2/points or something and I had a penalty advantage so I didn't bother playing the ball at ruck time and the ref blew it up for full time instead of giving me my penalty!

Really stupid "glitch", I was sickened over it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Thanks to everyone for their detailed feedback on Rugby Challenge. Amongst other things, we have been working on a new patch to make some improvements and address some of the issues raised, and are making good progress. This should be available for download at a similar time to the European/UK release of Rugby Challenge which, of course, will include all these improvements on day one release. More details will be provided once the process is further along.

Just saw this on Facebook, hopefully that release date is sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

B0X wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for their detailed feedback on Rugby Challenge. Amongst other things, we have been working on a new patch to make some improvements and address some of the issues raised, and are making good progress. This should be available for download at a similar time to the European/UK release of Rugby Challenge which, of course, will include all these improvements on day one release. More details will be provided once the process is further along.

Just saw this on Facebook, hopefully that release date is sooner rather than later.

They don't even have a release date for the patch and they've said that the one they release here will have those changes in it. It's not looking good. I'm glad I ordered from NZ now!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Sweet got Rugby Challenge this morning from NZ!! Will report back in a couple hours!

Really enjoying the game! Far more realistic and challenging than RWC11. Took me a few games to get used to the change in controlls, but its grand now!

I havent noticed too many of the reported glitches yet either. The commentary is a bit dodge at times, sounding like a few different sentances sewn together. You get used to it though.

Passing and offloading can get messy at times but if you take your time and build phases, gaps will appear in the defence! Overall the gameplay just feels alot more pollished than rwc!

There are also a huge number of customization options to create and edit players/teams/competitions. They do seem to be a bit biased towards SH teams with the ratings but they can easily be changed!

They are my initial thoughts anyway. Any questions fire away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Really enjoying the game! Far more realistic and challenging than RWC11. Took me a few games to get used to the change in controlls, but its grand now!

I havent noticed too many of the reported glitches yet either. The commentary is a bit dodge at times, sounding like a few different sentances sewn together. You get used to it though.

Passing and offloading can get messy at times but if you take your time and build phases, gaps will appear in the defence! Overall the gameplay just feels alot more pollished than rwc!

There are also a huge number of customization options to create and edit players/teams/competitions. They do seem to be a bit biased towards SH teams with the ratings but they can easily be changed!

They are my initial thoughts anyway. Any questions fire away!

Hey...where did you buy the game from? Did it take long to get here? I might place an order ....getting sick of waiting :(

Ordered it from Mightyape and it was shipped last Monday (NZ time) got here this morning. It was great because they did say 10-15 days and I wasn't expecting it. I do think they are out of stock now though.

Ordered it from Mightyape and it was shipped last Monday (NZ time) got here this morning. It was great because they did say 10-15 days and I wasn't expecting it. I do think they are out of stock now though.

Same here. Ordered mine the previous Friday and just got it here in work now. Can't wait to get home and get stuck into it. The missus is off for the next 2 1/2 weeks so I'm free and clear to satisfy my rugby addiction! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Rugby Challenge arrived in the post for me today. Have played half a dozen games or so so far. The game definitely has it's bugs and glitches (one jumped out at me after only my 3rd match) but overall it is far superior to RWC. It actually looks like a game of rugby rather than 30 players chasing like lunatics after the ball like in RWC.

The offloading is a tad excessive alright although I believe you can turn this down with sliders although you have to do it for every team. Haven't got around to doing that yet. Huge range of teams and tournaments to play in. Commentary is poor enough but you forget about it after a while. Justin Marshall especially is so wooden he might as well have come packed from IKEA. Haven't played online yet.

First impressions are definitely good. I'm sure a few more things will jump out to annoy me after more play but I can't see anyone sticking with RWC once they can play RC instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

What are the glitches?

Brought it over to a mates to play! Really good craic with a few lads! One glitch that happened to me was when I somehow knocked it on in my in goal area and an opposing player dived on it before me. They somehow got 5 points on the board and then got a 5 meter scrum! Was mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Brought it over to a mates to play! Really good craic with a few lads! One glitch that happened to me was when I somehow knocked it on in my in goal area and an opposing player dived on it before me. They somehow got 5 points on the board and then got a 5 meter scrum! Was mad!

Exactly same thing happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

finally won the world cup with ireland on hard in RWC11. it's a pretty fun game, still got a lot of infuriating glitches and poor AI but when you get into it it's enjoyable, smashed NZ 24-0 in the final with two tries from Drico, a penalty try and a drop goal from ROG to finish them off.

Now need to give it another go tonight and make sure it's not a fluke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

talking with wc on twitter,they dont have confirmed date and wont give for europe,someone post on wc twitter that uk will see on 7th oct :eek:
    they say its not just a patch holding it up,some issues players are complaining about is part of delay,so maybe October release for Europe but at very earliest will be end of September i think going by there forums and social sites

• Advertisement

Bloody hell I'm tired. Wish I'd called in sick today... :D

So after a few hours with this last night I reckon it's a far better game than the RWC one. There are a few things about it that will take a bit of getting used to. The passing and off-loading element can be a little fiddley - the number of handling errors I had as Leinster last night was a bit mental. I'm still not 100% on how to effectively challenge in the line-out (even though I've won a few opposition throws) and the camera change when the ball is turned over can really throw you if the ball is loose - you can find yourself running away from the ball when you had been running towards it. None of these things are a big deal really though.

One big sticking point for me is the lack of set plays, which I know they just didn't have time to get in. While your players do run decent lines etc for the most part I had a few issues of players cutting back inside as I was in the process of passing outside to them. So at times you're just not sure what they're going to do or where they are going to go. AI defensive positioning was pretty weak too - albeit on easy.

Only glitches I've noticed so far is at one stage when Kearney went over for a bonus point try and I hit X he kept running. So I hit X again. He kept running. So I hit X again and he ran dead. Seemed to be a once off though. Another is when I was challenged a couple of times over the try line and spilled the ball forward the TMO called it as held up. Oh and Leinster and Munster being mixed up by the commentators a couple of times when they play each other. As for the commentary, tbh it doesn't really matter. You hardly pay any attention to it at all.

Haven't played online or multiplayer yet. Looking forward to that one!

Advertisement