Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unsolicited call 014819100 IPSOS MRBI

Options
  • 19-04-2011 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

FYI

I had a missed call from the above number. Google tells me that it's IPSOS MRBI. I called them on 01 4389 000 and they confirmed it's a call centre number that they use for surveys.

I asked where they got my number and they replied that they randomly generate numbers.

I asked them to add me to their Do Not Contact list and they agreed without hesitation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

and.......????

Is there an issue here?

A well regarded company that does surveys based on random selection (probably political opinion poll for Irish Times), calls you, you ask not to be called, they agree. Where's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

There doesn't appear to be an Uber Bold option for the text in the Title.

I didn't want the call. I don't like being called by unknowns and my number is well guarded. It's my perogative you know?

My post is informative in case you missed the first part of it.

There's a button on the left of your screen if you have a problem with the post.

No problem with the post, I was just wondering what the issue was that you wanted answered as this is what the thread is about.

You got an unsolicited random call, you asked them to delete your number, they agreed to do so on the spot. - Still can't see any issue as there's nothing to say anyone can't call a random number once they don't use autodiallers. If you ask not to be called again, they must acede to your request, which they did immediately.

Shows them to be a decent company if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

If they're randomly generating numbers, odds are they're using an auto-dialler. Do they have anything in their number generator that excludes all the numbers that have opted into the do not call list?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

I think it depends on a mixture of the dialler and the campaigns that they use. Most places will have a do not call list initiated so once you have stated that you want to be taken off the list that should do it. If you do get called again report them immediately.

Also, the funny thing about diallers is that there is no full legal legislation here regarding their use, we work off Ofcom rules for now as guideline.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,234 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Comreg should make it a law that you do not have to opt out of this practice, but you have to opt in.

Can't see it happening myself.

Boggles wrote: »
    Ofcom should make it a law that you do not have to opt out of this practice, but you have to opt in.

Can't see it happening myself.

I think we have enough red tape in this country.

Surveys & polls based on a random selection of people are very useful in all walks of life. If you don't want the calls, you simply let them know. If they continue to call you, then you have an issue that needs to be corrected.

Yeah, they're brilliant. Served us well thus far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I really can't see what the issue is. A resopected company who carry out surveys. Your privacy is intact as they don't know who they called. You asked to be deleted and they rightly agreed. No issue and no need for any warnings as there is nothing untoward.

Again, my post is not so much a complaint rather than a point of information. From memory, the charter doesn't state that this forum is for complaints only.

It took me a while to figure out who the missed call was from. I repeatedly called back to find the line engaged.

From my research a lot of other people have had the same experience. I'm attemtping tp provide some information for others that may have the same experience.

I don't wish to receive unsolicited calls from any organisation or individual - simple as.

edit: - churning out random numbers on a dialler isn't respectable in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Also, afaik, if they are following Ofcom rules then they have to leave a voicemail stating who they are, contact details and opening hours. The only reason not to leave a message is if it is classed as a missed call, or u don't have voicemail setup on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭doleman2010

Well in fairness to them at least you could see who they were , in that they had the manners to have their caller id on, too many others out there ringing from hoodie or balaclava numbers , 2 well known dublin hospital (charities) here are using a call centre in the North to call punters using withheld numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

E39MSport wrote: »

It took me a while to figure out who the missed call was from. I repeatedly called back to find the line engaged.

I don't like being called by unknowns and my number is well guarded. It's my perogative you know?

You don't like being called by unknown people yet when you get a call from an unknown number you repeatedly call it back:confused:

If it was a spam company you've just informed them that they reached a valid number and they will hound you, luckily you reached a legit company who've added you to their don't call list.

If I get a missed call from an unknown number I ignore it. If it's important enough they'll call back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

These marketing/poll companies should be. Barred from dialling any number which is ex directory!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

foggy_lad wrote: »
    These marketing/poll companies should be. Barred from dialling any number which is ex directory!

Having worked for a market research company they really do use a random number generator for residential surveys for the most part and can't really cross reference these numbers against ex directory numbers but once you say you want off there internal dialling list they will do it there and then.

Due to the nature of the business, telesales legislation does not apply to market research companies as its not costing you anything. While it can be a pain in the ass getting a call just say your not interested and they will take the hint there and then unlike telesales agents who have to be pushy or risk a bollocking from a supervisor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Agreed.

I also agree that the use of auto diallers should be banned.

Agreed.

I also agree that the use of auto diallers should be banned.

Auto diallers & random number generators are two entirely different things.
    Auto diallers do as they say - they dial and if the phone is answered the call is put through to a human being to sell you something.

Random number generators generate numbers which are individually called by someone and are used for most market research polling.

As said elsewhere, the call was made, the OP requested that he not be called again, they agreed immediately. Still no issue here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The issue is that the op's number is private/ex-directory so no company should be ringing them regardless of what shady way they procure the number.

I dont see an issue with the number generators as long as the numbers generated are referenced against the NDD opt out database as well as the telephone directory and ONLY if the number is not opted out of nuscience calls and is in the phone book it can be called!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The issue is that the op's number is private/ex-directory so no company should be ringing them regardless of what shady way they procure the number.

I dont see an issue with the number generators as long as the numbers generated are referenced against the NDD opt out database as well as the telephone directory and ONLY if the number is not opted out of nuscience calls and is in the phone book it can be called!

The NDD opt out database does not cover market research calls such as the OP received.

Venom wrote: »
    The NDD opt out database does not cover market research calls such as the OP received.
    This is something that the government should address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 scanorak

Comreg might have a look at it in about 10 years time.

scanorak wrote: »
    Comreg might have a look at it in about 10 years time.
    That would be rather fast for them. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I didn't want the call. I don't like being called by unknowns and my number is well guarded. It's my perogative you know?

What do you do if someone dials your number in error i.e. a "wrong number" call?

Call the guards? Start threads on the internet?

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    What do you do if someone dials your number in error i.e. a "wrong number" call?

Call the guards? Start threads on the internet?

Call them back. You ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Call them back. You ?

No - I mean if you answer a call from someone who has mistakenly dialled your number. Do you give 'em hell?

I give up on this thread.

If you read the entire thread (even post #1) you'll see that it's informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I got a call from them a few months back, very polite and professional. He asked me if it was convenient to talk, I said it was, he then asked me a few questions about some current affairs and it was all over in about 2 minutes, really can't see how people can have an issue with this.

Nobody walks around the street with a 'Don't stop me to do a survey' sticker on their jacket so I can't see why people have an issue with a legitimate research/polling company calling you.

Once they display an Irish number and identify the company name the instant you answer then I have no problem if they call me.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

thank you for informing me about this number, i just got a missed call from it and no credit to call them back so whent online for phone book listings and fell apon this thread.

i can understand the point that you are making in that you have a privet number and have it that way so that people and companies you dont know or dont want to know dont call you.

i have taken this thread in the way it was ment to be taken, as a informational thread only.:)

Thanks chewy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Life is wwaaaaaaay too short

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement