Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unsolicited call 014819100 IPSOS MRBI

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Having worked for this company when I was in college I can confirm they do use totally random numbers - we used to get a huge number of out of service numbers that we would have to ring. Also they don't use autodiallers, we had regular phones and had to dial the numbers ourselves. The only modification was a headset in place of holding the phone! And also anybody requesting to be taken off our call list was done immediately

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

BnB wrote: »
    Life is wwaaaaaaay too short

Get off boards and go live a full short life. Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 oggy8

As an ex-directory number, I also got an unsolicited call from these guy's a couple of months ago and in this instance the MRBI office was located in the UK. The information I elicited from conducting my own research during that telephone call was that MRBI were contracted to conduct market research for a well known Irish paper! Unfortunately however, they didnt manage to conduct their own research during that call:D!

It was quite funny, the supervisor told me that they randomly pick numbers, and if I wanted to opt out from being called for future research by this company, I had to give them my name an telephone number so that they could enter that information on their database:confused:!

I suppose it'd require too much work effort to compile a database of numbers from a telephone directory!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nah, far easier to use random numbers.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I got an unsolicited call from Think Marketing yesterday (they didnt say who they were, I checked the number out) wanting to know financial information about our business. We are on the opt out list for cold calls, and I told the guy there was no way I would discuss anything financial with a cold caller. And still, he continued to ask questions, so I hung up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

oggy8 wrote: »
    As an ex-directory number, I also got an unsolicited call from these guy's a couple of months ago and in this instance the MRBI office was located in the UK. The information I elicited from conducting my own research during that telephone call was that MRBI were contracted to conduct market research for a well known Irish paper! Unfortunately however, they didnt manage to conduct their own research during that call:D!

It was quite funny, the supervisor told me that they randomly pick numbers, and if I wanted to opt out from being called for future research by this company, I had to give them my name an telephone number so that they could enter that information on their database:confused:!

I suppose it'd require too much work effort to compile a database of numbers from a telephone directory!!!

Then its not a survey using randomly selected people.

By giving your details, a simple programme can omit your details from their system preventing you being called again.

I still don't see any problem / issue whatsoever here. If you don't want the calls, you tell them and they remove you.

Is there anything else they can do???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Oryx wrote: »
    I got an unsolicited call from Think Marketing yesterday (they didnt say who they were, I checked the number out) wanting to know financial information about our business. We are on the opt out list for cold calls, and I told the guy there was no way I would discuss anything financial with a cold caller. And still, he continued to ask questions, so I hung up.

The NDD (opt out directory) is for direct sales calls - it does not apply to comapanies that are updating information they already have about you.

If you're a business, some buiness info services like to keep their information updated - if you don't want it updated, then all you have to do is say so.

maxer68 wrote: »
    The NDD (opt out directory) is for direct sales calls - it does not apply to comapanies that are updating information they already have about you.

If you're a business, some buiness info services like to keep their information updated - if you don't want it updated, then all you have to do is say so.
    Problem is, this company just said they wanted to discuss financial aspects of our business, without saying who they were or whether they represented anyone connected to us. Ive never dealt with them for anything before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 oggy8

maxer68 wrote: »
    Then its not a survey using randomly selected people.

By giving your details, a simple programme can omit your details from their system preventing you being called again.

I still don't see any problem / issue whatsoever here. If you don't want the calls, you tell them and they remove you.

Is there anything else they can do???

The problem was that I was ex-directory, and one of the reasons why I chose to go ex-directory was that I did not want to receive any cold calls including for research purposes, and another reason was for privacy!

What can they do? They can start by compiling a database which means for future reference that they do not contact any person who actually is ex-directory! You know its part of inclusion/exclusion criteria;).

The telephone number was already on their records, if they called the number. I told them quite explicitly that I wanted to opt out of future research, and for the supervisor to do this, there was a pre-condition that I would have to give them my name and telephone number. Why would I have to tell them my name for them to do this???? You are correct, its not randomised and particularly so if there's no anonymity!

Maybe they operate by different ethics to the rest of us researchers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

oggy8 wrote: »

The telephone number was already on their records, if they called the number. I told them quite explicitly that I wanted to opt out of future research, and for the supervisor to do this, there was a pre-condition that I would have to give them my name and telephone number. Why would I have to tell them my name for them to do this???? You are correct, its not randomised and particularly so if there's no anonymity!

Maybe they operate by different ethics to the rest of us researchers!

I'm calling bluff on that they only need the number they dialled.

Oynx in future tell them its company policy not to take marketing calls (they should understand that this includes surveys)- They SHOULD take you off their list straight away and end the call.

• Advertisement

wild_cat wrote: »
    I'm calling bluff on that they only need the number they dialled.

Oynx in future tell them its company policy not to take marketing calls (they should understand that this includes surveys)- They SHOULD take you off their list straight away and end the call.
    When I told him I would not discuss anything, his response was 'but can I ask you one question....' :) No intention of ending the call, he was continuing with his script. God knows what they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't have a problem with MRBI calls. We are on the opt out list for cold calls and I don't engage with any other market research firms , but when you see a poll in the Irish Times etc, that's where they get their information. How often do you hear people saying 'well they never ask me for my opinion' in relation to polls?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

looksee wrote: »
    How often do you hear people saying 'well they never ask me for my opinion' in relation to polls?

I don't know. I suppose we could do a survey......

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭munkifisht

Thanks for posting. This was wrecking my head cos I missed a call from them earlier and thought it might be a recruiter trying to contact me. Took me ages to figure out it was these douche bags, the call just gets dumped before a connection is made.

Thanks for useful info - just got missed call from this number. For professional reasons very selective about who has ex-directory land line. Just good to know who called!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I missed a few calls from a withheld number in the last week, before finally answering and finding it to be some market research crowd in London (IFS? IFF? ISF?), purporting to be working for DCU, doing a survey about work practices. I asked how they got my number and she said it was randomly selected by area code... Thing is, this is my mobile number, and I wasn't aware that was possible. Also, they were calling me at the strangest times (Sunday morning, tuesday 9pm)

I told them i didn't want to participate in any case, but does this all sound above board to those of you who know the law surrounding this?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PencilFan1

I got a call from these lads a while ago and they told me to meet them in Portlaoise woods. I got mugged and then they signed me up for Scientology and now I have to devote the next billion years of my life to Xenu. Cheers lads. SCAMMERS.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Locked lest anything else escape from the gate under the bridge...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement