Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí struggling to pay bills - AGSI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Begrudgery

Word of the f*cking century. Can we ban this word please? Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

This thread is so full of bull**** I can actually smell it through the Internet. Just because you read something in a tabloid doesn't make it true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Nope
    I saved a good chunk which paid off the mortgage until Christmas
    I had money invested in shares which are obviously now not worth the paper they are written on
    I paid a massive chunk into my life assurance policy and am continuing to pay it from money I had set aside so it will be covered until July/August this year
    I also paid into a pension scheme that I will see benefit from in 30 years time(hopefully)

To earn that 100k it must be remembered that I worked every hour that god sent I had to pay for childcare 6 days a week most weeks (afterschool including pick ups plus evening sitters and saturday sitters) I brought home work to do in the evenings and weekends
    I drive an 04 Fiesta not a suave BMW or Audi like most of my college mates and I live in a 4 bed Semi D in an estate

The only luxuries I possibly "wasted" money on was a 2 week holiday to New York in 08 and 09

I bought alot of expensive suits that now sit in my wardrobe but they are investments and a well fitted suit is pretty much essential for an accountant and they will get used again
    Ditto my ludicrously expensive laptop and briefcase(s) and shoes!

It should also be remembered that in earning a gross of 100k in 2009 I paid a large chunk of money (circa 40%) to the state in Tax, PRSI, Income Levy, far more than the 10k I got back in JSB payments

Fair enough. Those are for the most part valid points (the shoes and clothes I'd disagree with you;ll wear the hole out of a pants good or bad just by sitting on office chairs five days a week!)

This is not directed at you by any means but a general comment on shares. I am of the impression that in general people who passively buy shares are predisposed to be set up for a fall. If you buy shares and you are capable of generating huge profits (some are) coupled with those that are safe medium long term investments then why would you actually remain working? If I was capable, in the first place of turning a buck on shares I would not be long 'retiring' to pursue that income source. I think share purchasing for the majority of shares holders is the biggest mugs game imaginable.

I always hark back to the Eircom share debacle as a prime example. If the Eircom shares were such a sure fire hit, why did the traders not generate such interest in acquiring them that the ordinary 5/8 would be priced out of them? They weren't, instead they were flogged at joe public aggressively. Those in the know flogged them immediately. I was castigated for not jumping on that train at the time but my point was why would the market all of a sudden become this altruistic, benevolent entity? Why would the vanguard of commerce, the most aggressive phalanx of western capitalism, the shares market suddenly care about the welfare of a state's citizens. It didn't. The Irish public were hosed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Oy accountant this is a cop bashing thread, get your own thread if your feeling left out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Fair enough. Those are for the most part valid points (the shoes and clothes I'd disagree with you;ll wear the hole out of a pants good or bad just by sitting on office chairs five days a week!).

I'm female so I wear skirts generally ;)
    And shoes kinda make the suit....

FYI I bought shares from irish life as recommended by my life assurance broker they were in property funds, banks and listed companies
    Most aren't worth anything now but some will have value in years to come when the markets globally stabilise
    Offy wrote: »
    Oy accountant this is a cop bashing thread, get your own thread if your feeling left out!
    :D:D:D

HellFireClub criticised our household for relying on a single Garda income which is where this all started but me bad i'll shut up now :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Word of the f*cking century. Can we ban this word please? Christ.

never mind the word , can we just ban begrudgery!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Offy wrote: »

no! it's a thread for bitter people who hate to see anyone have possibly more than they have especially when that person polices them. Don't ban the word just ban begrudgery! Move along now folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

If they can't pay their bills it's because they have been stupid with their money. They can go **** themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

In the news today. "Gardaí struggling to pay bills - AGSI" The average Garda takes home about €40,000 before overtime per year. Is this not the same for most people?
    €40,000 and they are struggling, for a start what about the 440,000 unemployed that are getting less than half the amount, are they not struggling too if not more :confused:

Big mortgages, loans etc... at the end of the day the banks weren't holding a gun to peoples heads and saying take this big lump of money even though we know and you know you can't afford it.

I know the country is in a mess, I'm sorry, but if someone is earning €40,000 + and they can't manage then they only have themselves to blame.

Bitter people! Faceless bitter people!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

Bosco boy wrote: »
    I have the right to be bitter, these overpaid people leech of my tax money. They are all leeches.

It's not that people are bitter, majority of people at the minute are fed up with all the crying out that the frontline workers are doing. There are people a hell of lot worse but we never hear about them.

Look we all know the mess we are in, everyone is feeling the pain more so than others but the way most people are looking at stories like this is that; say a family is on 20,000 and they can manage what are they thinking to themselves when they see people on €40,000+ crying out that they cannot manage :confused:

We all know what happened during the boom years, people living well beyond their means, who is to blame for that? Yes the banks were reckless with lending but at the end of the day it was the person going for the loan or mortgage that the sole responsibility lies with.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    It's not that people are bitter, majority of people at the minute are fed up with all the crying out that the frontline workers are doing. There are people a hell of lot worse but we never hear about them.

Look we all know the mess we are in, everyone is feeling the pain more so than others but the way most people are looking at stories like this is that; say a family is on 20,000 and they can manage what are they thinking to themselves when they see people on €40,000+ crying out that they cannot manage :confused:

We all know what happened during the boom years, people living well beyond their means, who is to blame for that? Yes the banks were reckless with lending but at the end of the day it was the person going for the loan or mortgage that the sole responsibility lies with.

what do you work at yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭g_moriarty

Good man. You didn't read this so

"Petrol 80pw
    Tax/insurance 1000pa
    Maintenance 600pa
    Depreciation 1200pa".

A typo in the original post but I taught it had been cleared up by now. Sorry if you didn't pick this up

How is car depreciation deducted from a garda's salary? I don't get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

They should move their mobile phone provider to three.ie

Three give the Gardai 25% off their bills.

Must be special lol

what do you work at yourself?
    Not that it's anyone's business but I'm currently unemployed, my wife is working thankfully. We have a son and have just over €20,000 coming in and we are managing just fine at present, rent is paid every week, bills are all paid every month, car on the road.... we're not complaining.

I don't begrudge anyone, I couldn't care less, I'm happy with what we have and don't worry about anyone else. What gets me is that lots of families like me are managing and to hear others that are earning double or more that can't manage you just have to sit back and wonder to yourself well why can't they, I know different situations etc... but still :confused:

There's the solution, pay everyone €20,000, let one person stay at home to mind the kids and there will be no financial problems. Those on the property Market in the late 90's will be the same as those who bought in the Celtic tiger because they had to, you might run that by the bank for a generation of people in this country. your not Stalin by any chance?

There's the solution, pay everyone €20,000, let one person stay at home to mind the kids and there will be no financial problems. Those on the property Market in the late 90's will be the same as those who bought in the Celtic tiger because they had to, you might run that by the bank for a generation of people in this country. your not Stalin by any chance?
    Cop on will you.
    The AGSI says it accepts that the financial crisis is affecting everyone, but it says following a 20% cut in their pay, its members cannot afford any more.

It points out that 120 gardaí did not receive any money in their pay cheques last January because once some of the standing order bills were paid and the extra taxes taken - there was nothing left.

The Association says some of these gardaí did not have enough money that month to pay all their bills, which is particularly serious for people who often have to prosecute others for not paying theirs.
    Everyone is in the same boat at the minute, we all have bills and lots of people probably have ones they didn't really need either.

If one was to examine these 120 Gardai on a case to case bases ie. MABS come in, how many of them would then be able to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭greenoverred

g_moriarty wrote: »
    How is car depreciation deducted from a garda's salary? I don't get that.

OK

No! Not everyone is in the same boat, I know people who have been milking the system dry on social welfare who have more disposable income than me, in fact a hell of a lot more, I pay all my bills, I pay health insurance, my taxes, my mortgage and all the other bills that come my way, I get fcuk all overtime and rarely ever did, I have often worked for nothing like a fool because I couldn't walk away from people like you who needed my help when they were in dire straights. I've picked up body parts, I'll zipped up body bags, I've called to homes to be the face that tells them there loved one is dead, oh and ya I'm the guy who'll put you in the paddy wagon if your an abnoxious prick high on drugs telling me your taxes pay my wages. Ya I'm fcuking overpaid alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

No! Not everyone is in the same boat, I know people who have been milking the system dry on social welfare who have more disposable income than me, in fact a hell of a lot more, I pay all my bills, I pay health insurance, my taxes, my mortgage and all the other bills that come my way, I get fcuk all overtime and rarely ever did, I have often worked for nothing like a fool because I couldn't walk away from people like you who needed my help when they were in dire straights. I've picked up body parts, I'll zipped up body bags, I've called to homes to be the face that tells them there loved one is dead, oh and ya I'm the guy who'll put you in the paddy wagon if your an abnoxious prick high on drugs telling me your taxes pay my wages. Ya I'm fcuking overpaid alright!

Bosco don't take it so personally
    EVERY Garda in the country is overpaid don't ya know? :rolleyes:

And it doesn't matter what your job entails THEIR taxes pay YOUR wages :rolleyes:

Don't know where your own taxes go to.... but why spoil a good argument with a few facts :rolleyes:

I know what a crappy job AGS can be sometimes and I know and you do to that the very people whinging about Garda salaries now would be the first ones to whinge in 2 years time (when lots of older cops have taken early retirement due to these cuts) and there isn't enough lads on the streets to answer every 999 call within 2 hours never mind 30 mins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I do love the timing of this though, a few months from major security operations for the Queen and Obama they decide they want to complain about their large salaries.

An absolute disgraceful site to behold that our own highly paid police force, in a recession, decide they are poorly paid when nearly half a million people are out of work. I do realise that it is a difficult job, but the country simply cannot afford to add to their already high salaries.

No! Not everyone is in the same boat, I know people who have been milking the system dry on social welfare who have more disposable income than me, in fact a hell of a lot more, I pay all my bills, I pay health insurance, my taxes, my mortgage and all the other bills that come my way
    Calm down, no one was having a go at you, I just said cop on as you compared me to Stalin.
    I get fcuk all overtime and rarely ever did
    To be fair you can't be bringing overtime into the argument.
    I have often worked for nothing like a fool because I couldn't walk away from people like you who needed my help when they were in dire straights. I've picked up body parts, I'll zipped up body bags, I've called to homes to be the face that tells them there loved one is dead, oh and ya I'm the guy who'll put you in the paddy wagon if your an abnoxious prick high on drugs telling me your taxes pay my wages. Ya I'm fcuking overpaid alright!
    You're starting to come across as if you don't like your job and that you are not paid enough.

Calm down, no one was having a go at you, I just said cop on as you compared me to Stalin.

To be fair you can't be bringing overtime into the argument.

You're starting to come across as if you don't like your job and that you are not paid enough.

If boards reflected society I probally would'nt like my job but decent people on the street value the emergency services and aren't begrudgers, especially those who have needed them in the past! Anyway i've had enough of this crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Cop on will you.

Pun intended . LOL :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

If boards reflected society I probally would'nt like my job but decent people on the street value the emergency services and aren't begrudgers, especially those who have needed them in the past! Anyway i've had enough of this crap!

Ah dude take a chill pill and laugh a little, this is AH after all and we're just ripping the p1ss, in saying that cops are overpaid!

To be fair, I don't think most people are begrudging the wage. The problem is that to a lot of people a wage of €40,000 is very good and they can't understand why you can't manage on it, especially when those on far less can manage fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I do love the timing of this though, a few months from major security operations for the Queen and Obama they decide they want to complain about their large salaries.

An absolute disgraceful site to behold that our own highly paid police force, in a recession, decide they are poorly paid when nearly half a million people are out of work. I do realise that it is a difficult job, but the country simply cannot afford to add to their already high salaries.

They aren't looking for a pay rise so they aren't saying they are poorly paid. just some members are struggling. People on the dole who get the majority of their rent paid are struggling, people on 50k, not just Guards are struggling.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ok maybe Im missing something here but where did I say it comes out my take home pay. It an expense, a cost whatever you want to call it of running a car which I need to travel to and from work, but I never said it comes out of my take home pay.

Did you even look at the link I posted about cost of running a car. If you cant understand it fine, ill try and explain it to you. Actually looking at it I should have a higher amount than 7000.

So cut down on my motoring. How much do you suggest I cut down. Maybe Ill drive half way to work and cycle the rest. I live 35 miles from work. Some live nearer. Some live further away. Its a rough figure. Try and get back on topic and stop nit picking at my post

Ill take your other suggestion on board. Get a wife to help with the bills. Any ideas where id find one of these. Internet, Copper face jacks, etc

Stop treating depreciation along with other made up stuff as an expense then, you are making a fool of the Gardai's 'struggling case' here.

So please feel free to show how you managed to spend 320quid a month on petrol. Your real expenses are that 1k Car tax/Ins & 600 Maintenance plus a disputed amount in petrol. Nowhere near 7k per year.

And you never explained how a single person can spend 3k on 'Medical Aid'. Your numbers are seriously inflated to deceive us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

K-9 wrote: »
    They aren't looking for a pay rise so they aren't saying they are poorly paid. just some members are struggling. People on the dole who get the majority of their rent paid are struggling, people on 50k, not just Guards are struggling.

Different categories of struggling there. Its shameful how you lump someone on the dole as a struggler with a person on 50k as a struggler. The former has a crap standard of living while the latter still has a high standard of living out of choice.

Advertisement