Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biggest let downs and success this season

• 19-04-2011 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

So there are basically 5 weekends of football left this season. What I want to know is who do you think was the biggest success and let downs for your team and for other teams.......i get the ball rolling.

Success:
    Nani
    Berbatov
    Hernandes

Given the season that nani and berbatov had last ( i know this divides utd fans) I think they have been amazing this year and really stepped up to the mark. I really dont think little pea needs an explanation

Let Downs:
    Gibson
    Bebe
    Carrick

Admittedly carricks last few games have been pretty good but for the first 3/4's of the season he was muck as was Gibson. Might be unfair to have Bebe in there but given all the hype about signing him I dont believe he has much to offer.

Other teams:

Success
    Charlie Adams
    Van der Vart
    da Silva

I think the above 3 have all being instrumental in the various success that their teams have enjoyed

Let downs:
    Torres
    Ireland
    Balotelli

I'm not sure the above need much explaining. It's actually getting to the stage i'm begining to feel sorry for torres. Honestly thought Ireland could fit into villa and rekindle his career but shipped out of there at quickest chance. As for balotelli i think it's just as well he is a footballer cause if he was in any other walk of life i'm sure he'd be admitted to a psych hospital

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Balotelli ain't a letdown, he's a pure enigma, great to watch as he could spark a brawl as quick as score a screamer, if only he was declared for Ghana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

If this is England only, can you stick something in the title so those of us who don't care don't waste the bandwith?

If this is England only, can you stick something in the title so those of us who don't care don't waste the bandwith?

You poor guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Biggest letdown:
    The barclays premier league - terribly boring season with top teams giving very lackluster performances against poor teams. Man untied seem to be winning by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hey I only commented on the english as I think it's fairly obvious it's the one that gets most commentary around here. But by all means post up whatever league you wish. The more banter the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Why would it be England only? The OP just metioned EPL teams in the start. If you want to mention LOI teams go ahead.

Knock the chip off your shoulder while you're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

adamski8 wrote: »
    Biggest letdown:
    The barclays premier league - terribly boring season with top teams giving very lackluster performances against poor teams. Man untied seem to be winning by default.

Have to agree there, the league seems doomed if there are 2 big teams winning all the games and still doomed if there is 4 or 5 in contention for the title. No outstanding team this year and a lot of very scrappy games. The leauge is missing a couple of really big characters and I'm sure the antics of players off the field and there alienation from the the ordinary person doesn't endear them to the general public.

In other news at least it was good to see Ryan Giggs scoring all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

Biggest letdown:

But you cannot deny that the relegation battle is brilliant :D

Success:
    Adam
    Parker
    Hernandez

Disappointment:
    Man City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Joe Cole :p and Martin Kelly. :) (the former being the disappointment)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Biggest letdown:

Yeah I'd go along with this. Utd the most average of a poor bunch in one of the worst seasons in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

peabutler wrote: »
    Balotelli ain't a letdown, he's a pure enigma, great to watch as he could spark a brawl as quick as score a screamer, if only he was declared for Ghana.

he is the most useless footballer i have ever seen play live, lazy, slow, disinterested. the man needs a serious improvement to justify his huge price tag as right now, he aint worth anything....

and he seems to be a right **** on top of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

he is the most useless footballer i have ever seen play live, lazy, slow, disinterested. the man needs a serious improvement to justify his huge price tag as right now, he aint worth anything....

:D Brilliant, love a bit of hyperbole in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Success: King Kenny's return ;)
    Awesomely close table.

Let Downs:
    United dominating the league despite their terrible terrible brand of football.
    General standard of football in the EPL.
    Continuation of over valuing English players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I'm sure no one would mind if you put down LOI or La Liga or SPL or whatever you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I'm sure no one would mind if you put down LOI or La Liga or SPL or whatever you like.

Ok.

LoI only 6 weeks in, but Bray have been a revelation.

SPL. The fact Rangers still are competitive is astonishing. Referees and SPL corruption and ineptitude are let downs, but alas, not surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

was it just me or was Balotelli great at the weekend?

also, was it just me, or was Berba labelled a lazy footballer who cost just as much?

anyway....

Successes for Liverpool

Kenny's Return
    Lucas' continuing improvement.
    Martin Kelly
    some other youngsters getting a chance

Let-Downs for Liverpool

Torres' disillusionment.
    Hodgson's attempt at 'steadying the ship'.
    Agger and Aurelio's injury problems.
    Poulsen and Cole.

Successes Elsewhere

Charlie Adam, and Blackpool's general verve at the start of the season.
    Hernandez
    VDV

Let-Downs

Fabregas
    Arsenal's continued incompetence when the pressure is on.
    Man City - the talent is there, but Mancini's mentality has gotten in the way too often.
    the Chicken Farmers at Blackburn.

Haha, the guys obviously got a huge amount of raw talent. He might be lazy and nuts, but he can do things that only 2 or 3 others can do when he wants to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Success and Let Down: Berbatov. He kept United on top of the table with his goals at home when Rooney wasnt on song but constantly fails to perform in the big games away from home and the Champions League.

Otherwise, Success: The unpridictability of the league. Some very strange results this year. Who would have thought Blackpool would have had that many points at this stage. Wolves have beaten United, Chelsea and Man city at home and all still bottom of the league.
    The relegation battle is going to go down to the last game which should be exciting for those of us who dont support any of the teams involved.

Let Down: Over-inflated transfer prices and the over-hyping of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

If you don't care then why are you posting here? :confused:

Anyway -

Successes for Newcastle:

- The thrashing of Sunderland.
    - The 4-4 comeback against Arsenal.
    - The 6-0 drubbing of Aston Villa.
    - Joey Barton and the general attitude of all the players.

Letdowns for Newcastle:

- Sacking Chris Hughton.
    - Selling Andy Carroll on the last day of the transfer window without getting a suitable replacement for him.
    - James Perch/Wayne Routledge.

As per the Premier League as a whole:

Successes:

- Tight table at the top and bottom throughout, although the title now seems to be sewn up.
    - Birmingham City winning the Carling Cup.
    - Hernandez - Has been sensational in his first season.
    - West Brom under Roy Hodgson. Has done extremely well and has pretty much guaranteed them Premier League football next season I'd say.
    - Yaya Toure. I'd personally put him down as Man City's best signing this season.
    - Ian Holloway. Even though his team have been found out tactically, his press conferences are always a bit of a laugh.
    - Van Der Sar. Has been sensational this season.

Letdowns:

- Arsenal. I thought they'd run Man United close this year but alas, they seem to be lacking in confidence which is a pity. Same goes for Chelsea really.
    - Blackburn sacking Sam Allardyce for some strange reason.
    - Dzeko/Torres
    - The FA and ridiculous rulings.
    - Man City. For a team that has spent an awful lot of money, they've punched well below their weight.

@ United:

Success:
    Hernandez
    Smalling

Let Downs:
    Anderson's failure to really step up
    Bebe

Berbatov should be in both tbh. Dazzles and frustrates in equal measures.

Premiership in general:

Success:

VDV
    David Luiz
    Yaya Toure

Let Downs:

Torres
    Cole
    Poulsen

In La Liga:

Success:
    Ozil
    Rossi
    Tino Costa
    Xabi Alonso
    Most Barca players

Let Downs:
    Pedro Leon
    Canales
    Kaka
    Gaby Milito - both of these players have had fitness problems to be fair.

In European competition:

Successes:

Spurs
    Schalke and Raul
    Madrid for finally getting out of the last 16 ;)
    Uniteds away record, especially considering how poor their domestic away record is.

Let Downs:

Inter
    AC Milan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

I wouldn't describe it as a let down rather a disappointment, but as a Utd fan Hargreaves failure to find fitness was disappointing and sad to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Successes: Mark Quigley and Michael Hector for Dundalk. Thought Quigley would be just going through the motions this seasons but he's been top notch for the most part.

Seen Hector's first couple of games and thought he was one of the most awkward useless central defenders I'd ever laid eyes on. He came back into the team last week against Sligo and was absolutely superb and was very good again last night when Dundalk beat Cliftonville to get through to their first cup final in 9 years.

Let Downs: Dundalk's away form. Dundalk's central midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

token56 wrote: »
    I wouldn't describe it as a let down rather a disappointment, but as a Utd fan Hargreaves failure to find fitness was disappointing and sad to see.

Seeing him start that game against wolves really got the adreniline pumping but the flip side was him coming off after 3 mins and even though i was watching it at home you could feel the mood of huge disappointment for the fella that the fans and players had.

Yaya has been another player that really has been great to see. Honestly never thought of him in an attacking role always more of a defensive midfielder but he has been brilliant for city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

racso1975 wrote: »
    So there are basically 5 weekends of football left this season.

I hope not :)

Let downs = Thought Pats might have been better

Success = Bray obviously but also Derry are motoring along nicely. Bohs too to a certain extent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

My team...

Success:

Nani
    - One of the best players in the world this year :eek:
    Rafael - Bar a few avoidable cards he's been class, only 20 too.
    Hernandez - Ole mark 2

Let Downs:

Fletcher - He was something else last season, this year he has been horribly out-of-form and now injured.
    Rooney's behaviour - I don't need to go into this....
    Anderson's injuries - I really thought he was starting to look the real deal, he was providing the energy and forward passing we lacked in midfield, he got a few knocks and has barely played over the past couple of months. There's still enough time for him to come in and impress.

Other teams...

Success

Seamus Coleman - he could be one of the better Irish players for sometime, I like Rovers and Everton too so I'm happy to see him do well
    Ozil - Class act
    Leighton Baines - 153 FF points :D

Let downs:

Suarez going to Liverpool - I don't think he's needed at United but he's class and now he's a Pool player I have to pretend I hate him... :D
    Slagging off Stoke and Birmingham - and learning to accept that their brand of football could win them a cup each
    Raul not joining a PL team in the summer - I would have enjoyed seeing him play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Arsenal:

Successes:
    Wilshere
    Djourou
    Woj

Let Downs
    Throwing away those leads at Newcastle and Spurs
    Throwing away top spot in our CL group yet again
    Taking 2 points from a possible 12 against Newcastle and West Brom
    Fabregas
    Wengers continued refusal to accept the giant flashing neon failures of this squad an invest accordingly

General:

Successes:
    Hernandez
    Silva
    Nani
    Cavani
    Rossi
    Allardyce being sacked
    Rossi
    Ronan Finn
    Napoli putting up a title challenge
    Scott Parker
    Dortmund

Let Downs:
    Evra
    Robbie Keane
    Redknapp continuing to completely overlook Krancjar
    Juventus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

That_Guy wrote: »
    I

Letdowns for Newcastle:

- Sacking Chris Hughton.

has it not worked out ok for you though? you were in freefall before that and in what, 13th position?

you cannot say its been a poor change results wise, what ever about the moral background to it can you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Let Downs

The collective efforts of Aston Villa
    Dzeko & Torres
    Chelsea
    Blackpool - shone so brightly yet still going down

Successes
    Man Utd
    Stoke City
    Darren Bent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Might as well do City:

Successes:

Hart over Given - Brave decision but it has set the club up for the next ten years with a top class international keeper.

David Silva - too small, wouldn't survive outside Spain etc. Look how that worked out. Easily one of the signings of the season, always wants the ball and is generally a joy to watch.

Vincent Kompany - An absolute bargain considering some of the duds that have been bought for much more. One of the two best centre halves in the league.

Meh

Yaya Toure - It's very easy to spot those who don't watch City week in, week out. He has been excellent but it's been too sporadic. Other times he is lazy, lethargic and generally looks unfit. Has been a liability almost as often as he has been inspirational. Thankfully he's going through a purple patch at the right time.

Mario Balotelli - Special talent and when he's good he's fantastic. Unfortunately he's been just a horrid and has firmly divided the fans. Hopefully he's about next year and avoids injuries.

Let Downs:

Roberto Mancini - Ok, we're in our first major final in 30 years but the league form an attitude in many games has left a lot to be desired.

Jerome Boateng - Expected a lot more but right now he's battling it out with Boyata to be third choice right back behind Zabaleta and Richards.

James Milner - Not really his fault as he has been a victim of the inverted wingers system and really should be played in the middle if anywhere. Can see him leaving in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Success:
    Ozil
    Cavani
    Napoli
    Lazio
    Hernanes
    Mario Gomez
    Yaya Toure
    Borusia Dortmund
    Porto
    Sligo Rovers
    Di Natale

Let downs:
    Bayern Munich
    Rafa Benitez
    Louis Van Gaal
    The Premier League
    Fernando Torres
    Roberto Mancini

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

We are only a handful of games in so hard to say at this point so maybe a little early for this thread but here goes.

Biggest Success:

Bray have started the season on fire so they would be classed as a huge success.

Derry, came up and are doing very very well.

Biggest Letdown:

Pats. Their form is completely unpredictable to the extent that their fans have completely switched off.

The Rovers. While both are very high up neither have clicked yet and started to play the way they can.

Advertisement