Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small fishing boats off the beach at Portmarnock?

Options
  • 19-04-2011 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks.

Does anyone know what fish they would fishing for?

I don't remember them being there in the past (however maybe I just didn't notice :rolleyes:).

They add a nice touch to the sea landscape...a bit on the noisey side when you're having an evening stroll...but thats life i 'spose...

Any info anyone?

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Crab/lobster/prawns probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

If its that close in, more than likely Razorfish

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

PaulD77 wrote: »

Thanks Paul.

Thats what my missus said.

I kinda himmed n' hawed....I owe her an apology I think :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Also queen scallops I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

There is a lot of activity along this part of the coast. Just off Drummanagh there are 4 or 5 boats and sometimes a big one from Waterford which is below. They were doing some type of pairs fishing off Loughshinny last Thursday night with 2 small trawlers and a small boat launched from one of them. They drag their nets along the bottom and pick up muscles as some report from B.I.M has descovered they breed along this part of the coast

This boat wroked fairly close to the shore along with its partner boat last year. Have not seen it recently.

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]3963444685_fb8a07901d.jpg[/EMAIL]">

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mussels.

Previous thread: Fishing trawlers off Rush
    tricky D wrote: »
    That's the mussel boat that came into Howth yesterday evening. They lay mats down and pull them up during the permitted months. However, as most have said, the water is polluted, so the mats get transferred to Carlingford or Wexford and relaid for 4-6 months to get cleaned. Then they're good enough for the french market.

The really weird thing is that the fisheries research crowd found out that on May 10th every year, like clockwork, the mussels detach and swim around to spawn for about 22 hours. It cost €600k and 5 an a half years of fisheries research to find that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

LeoB wrote: »
    There is a lot of activity along this part of the coast. Just off Drummanagh there are 4 or 5 boats and sometimes a big one from Waterford which is below. They were doing some type of pairs fishing off Loughshinny last Thursday night with 2 small trawlers and a small boat launched from one of them. They drag their nets along the bottom and pick up muscles as some report from B.I.M has descovered they breed along this part of the coast

This boat wroked fairly close to the shore along with its partner boat last year. Have not seen it recently.

3963444685_fb8a07901d.jpg">

That looks to me like a beam trawler. The most irresponsible way to fish commercially. If they are indeed beam trawling it is a sad indictment to our fisheries authorities imo. Watch as the sludge as what was once "sea-life" gets washed ashore and rots during the summer months as happens from time to time on Portmarnock Beach. It is little coincidence that the price of diesel shoots up and these boats stay in close and dont go to far..

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/oceans/problems/beam-trawlers-destroying-the-seabed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

That looks like a dredger from Wexford- not a beam trawler. It would dredge for seed mussel, and this is replanted in Wexford Harbour.
    I think the reg is wd 231
    From
    http://ec.europa.eu/fisheries/fleet/index.cfm
    WD231 EMILY ROSE WEXFORD

http://ec.europa.eu/fisheries/fleet/index.cfm?method=Search.DetailSearchSimple&event_key=645039&search_type=simple&search_id=3204

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

dublincelt wrote: »
    That looks to me like a beam trawler. The most irresponsible way to fish commercially. and dont go to far..

Agree. They scour the surface of the seabed and after they get their catch they move on. Many, many other forms of sealife are destroyed. I don't have the figures for how long it takes to grow back.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

oldscoil wrote: »
    Hi Folks.

Does anyone know what fish they would fishing for?

I don't remember them being there in the past (however maybe I just didn't notice :rolleyes:).

They add a nice touch to the sea landscape...a bit on the noisey side when you're having an evening stroll...but thats life i 'spose...

Any info anyone?

B

I think they are dredging for razorfish. Not the most environmentally friendly type of fishing in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Welcome back TD, I was wondering if the powers that be would have tried to prevent you from posting here in the future.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

pithater1 wrote: »
    Welcome back TD, I was wondering if the powers that be would have tried to prevent you from posting here in the future.
    Back on topic please

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Beasty wrote: »
    Back on topic please

Thanks

Beasty

Sorry m'Lord

Delete as you see fit

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

take a walk on the beach in portmarnock a tide or 2 after the boats have been fishing and you,ll see all the shells and crap they dredge up washed ashore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I think they are dredging for razorfish. Not the most environmentally friendly type of fishing in the world.

Very true Alan, what was Simon Coveney(Minister for Fisheries) reply when you raised the enviromental issues caused by this practice with him?

Alex College seem to be in the fishing business..

From the register..
    Mr. Franz Schutte C.O. Alexandra College, Milltown, Dublin, Ireland

jd wrote: »
    Alex College seem to be in the fishing business..

From the register..

Good for them, those private girl school are under-rated.

A little offline- Before the farmers objected you could see a list of farmers that claimed farm payments on the EU website and that was even more crazier. Amazing the number of golf courses and hedge funds that claimed. The Queen of England wasn't shy either.

It's a bit early for seed mussel too, I think, I thought it was harvested from June on.

I think the same ship worked Cahore

file.php?id=155

from
    http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7298&hilit=cahore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Very true Alan, what was Simon Coveney(Minister for Fisheries) reply when you raised the enviromental issues caused by this practice with him?
    He was probably too busy tweeting;)

On a more serious note I believe this type of fishing causes a lot of disturbance to the seabed and sends a lot of "dirt" in on the tide

LeoB wrote: »
    He was probably too busy tweeting;)

On a more serious note I believe this type of fishing causes a lot of disturbance to the seabed and sends a lot of "dirt" in on the tide

Thats why I asked the question as this boat seems to be fishing the shores of Fingal the last couple of weeks causing God knows what damage to the sealife. Hopefully we will have a reply soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 georgel_2008

That boat is called the Maria Gratia and it is a mussel fishing boat and does not fish for anything else only mussels,it is not a beam trawler and it is prohibited from catching fish as it is not registered to fish for fish,it is registered in Westport,Co. Mayo and not Wexford,WT231 and not WD231.
    Beam trawlers would never be allowed in this close and are only allowed fish up either 6 or 8 mile off the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Eoineo wrote: »
    Also queen scallops I'm told.

A few boats fish these very occasionally, but the majority berthing in Howth are mussel boats.

That boat is called the Maria Gratia and it is a mussel fishing boat and does not fish for anything else only mussels,it is not a beam trawler and it is prohibited from catching fish as it is not registered to fish for fish,it is registered in Westport,Co. Mayo and not Wexford,WT231 and not WD231.
    Beam trawlers would never be allowed in this close and are only allowed fish up either 6 or 8 mile off the coast.
    Thanks for that, George, I was pretty sure it was mussel dredger myself. When is seed normally harvested? And do you know anything about Alexandria College being in the Fishing business :) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 georgel_2008

Hi.
    I've never heard of that collage I've just googled the collage and found it to be a girls secondary school cant see many graduating from there to a mussel dredger.The season usually start around the neap tides in june then stops for a few month's resuming again in september,the Maria Gratia is probably searching for mussel seed if it was seen there in april as they wouldn't be permitted to fish seed that early.

Advertisement