Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry Level Winter Wesuits

Options
  • 19-04-2011 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I’ve been surfing about 5/6 years now but always using a summer wetsuit, or the odd time renting a winter one.
    Decided its about time I bought myself a 5/3 winter suit so I can surf more in the colder weather/water. (went in at the weekend in my summer suit and had a class session, but the first 10mins were dam cold!)

I’m just looking for a bit of advice from you guys in the know.
    I don’t want to spend too much (I know you will say buy cheap buy twice etc) I was thinking of around £100 - £130.

I’ve had a look round a few websites and the following suits in my price range keep popping up and I was wondering how others rate these suits.
    I’m going to head to one of the surf shops in Bundoran on Sat and get one after trying on etc, but was just hoping to have some recommendations before heading in

Basically, I’ve listed the bottom 2 winter suits from each manufacturer. The 2nd one up in each case seems to have an extra layer on the back under the zip to stop water entering when duck diving etc. Would yous say this is worth the extra about £30 over the cheaper ones?

Animal Amp 5x3 Wetsuit 2011 £89.94
    Animal Animator 5x3 Front Zip Wetsuit 2011 £129.00

Billabong 5x3 Foil B/Zip GBS Wetsuit w/Hood 2011£99.00
    Billabong 5/4/3mm Revolution Winter Wetsuit with Hood 2011 £135.00

Rip Curl 5x3 Dawn Patrol Chest Zip Wetsuit 2011 £102.99
    Rip Curl 5x3 Core Fireskin Wetsuit 2011 £139.00

O'Neill Epic 2 CT 5x3 Wetsuit 2011 £99.95
    O'Neill Gooru 5x3 GBS Full Wetsuit £119.99

If you had to choose one of the above, which would it be? Which brand would you choose over another? Or would you have any alternative suggestions?

I thought this was going to be a short post :-\

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I’ve been surfing about 5/6 years now but always using a summer wetsuit, or the odd time renting a winter one.
    Decided its about time I bought myself a 5/3 winter suit so I can surf more in the colder weather/water. (went in at the weekend in my summer suit and had a class session, but the first 10mins were dam cold!)

I’m just looking for a bit of advice from you guys in the know.
    I don’t want to spend too much (I know you will say buy cheap buy twice etc) I was thinking of around £100 - £130.

I’ve had a look round a few websites and the following suits in my price range keep popping up and I was wondering how others rate these suits.
    I’m going to head to one of the surf shops in Bundoran on Sat and get one after trying on etc, but was just hoping to have some recommendations before heading in

Basically, I’ve listed the bottom 2 winter suits from each manufacturer. The 2nd one up in each case seems to have an extra layer on the back under the zip to stop water entering when duck diving etc. Would yous say this is worth the extra about £30 over the cheaper ones?

Animal Amp 5x3 Wetsuit 2011 £89.94
    Animal Animator 5x3 Front Zip Wetsuit 2011 £129.00

Billabong 5x3 Foil B/Zip GBS Wetsuit w/Hood 2011£99.00
    Billabong 5/4/3mm Revolution Winter Wetsuit with Hood 2011 £135.00

Rip Curl 5x3 Dawn Patrol Chest Zip Wetsuit 2011 £102.99
    Rip Curl 5x3 Core Fireskin Wetsuit 2011 £139.00

O'Neill Epic 2 CT 5x3 Wetsuit 2011 £99.95
    O'Neill Gooru 5x3 GBS Full Wetsuit £119.99

If you had to choose one of the above, which would it be? Which brand would you choose over another? Or would you have any alternative suggestions?

I thought this was going to be a short post :-\

Avoid animal or billabong anyway!! THe Rip Curl and O'Neill ones all sound pretty good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Are you going to go into a shop, try on their suits, then go and buy online? I would hope not. Support your local surf shop, bargain if you have to

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

You'll get the rip curl Dawn Patrol in Dublin city centre for around €140 - €160

I got one last january 2010 in the Great Outdoors in Dublin and it's excellent, going out in the winter in one of these you will not feel the cold.

I was expecting worse as it was a budget winter suit but it totally exceed my expectations. A year and a bit on and it's still in great nick.

don't buy online, you'll never get the size right - every manufacturer is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

My first 5/3 was an entry-level C-Skins suit, I got a few years out of it and thought it was good value at €179ish. just thought I'd throw that out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭I dont know

Cheers for the feedback guys :)

Always good to have a recommendation for these things before buying. I'll head in looking for the Dawn Patrol, and see what the guys there recommend.
    Are you going to go into a shop, try on their suits, then go and buy online? I would hope not. Support your local surf shop, bargain if you have to

Sure I said in my first post I was going to buy in a shop in bundoran:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ChrisJefferies

I have:-

O'Neill Epic 2 CT 5x3 Wetsuit £99.95 (not 2011, must be 2009 or 2010)

and it's superb...

I've had quite a few wetsuits in my time and for the price this is by far the best.

I've been surfing all last summer and winter with it and it's kept me perfectly warm the whole time. Seam construction is good, zip is strong and reliable. Fit is great.

I'd love to try a €300-400 one, they must be fantastic if the €99 Epic 2 is so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I would chose based on how well it fits, I find Rip Curl to be a smaller fitting so ONeill suits me perfect. Have an ONeill Epic II 2010, great suit, fits like a glove although some of the stitching is starting to come away but it's coming up to the time to change suit anyway! ONeill still gets my vote...

Mind me asking where you're getting those prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I have this one: http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/billabong-foil-543-steamer-wetsuit-f45m08-blackapple-green-2011-p-3813.html

Its a billabong foil 5/4/3 winter suit and I can honestly say its working well for me so far. I got it last summer and its plenty warm, fits well, no neck rash from it etc. That insert you are talking about on the back which prevents water spilling down your back works well enough but is'nt perfect. Its good but there's a little bit of water getting in. Nothing to worry about though!

The seams look to be pretty good(to my untrained eye) and are still rock solid.

I've been out surfing the last 2 weekends and was in no way cold while wearing it. And besides if you are getting cold, paddle harder!

For £110 it'll sure get ya going anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

cornbb wrote: »
    My first 5/3 was an entry-level C-Skins suit, I got a few years out of it and thought it was good value at €179ish. just thought I'd throw that out there.

yeah, C-Skins are great suits. A mate of mine has taken up surfing and he got a new C-Skin 5mm entry level suit in Sunset in Sligo for 119 euro last Saturday. He tried on a few suits there, I think the c-skin could have been on special offer but its a good fit anway. No messing with sterling or wrong fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Thanks for the thread and all the posts. I didn't know that there is possibility to buy a winter wetsuit for less than €400 :eek:
    It seems that Saturday will be big shopping day in Co. Sligo for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭solid 5

Hi all,

Is it pretty cold at the moment? Have not been in this year (too many lame excuses).Thought I'd get away with my summer suit this weekend.

Hi all,

Is it pretty cold at the moment? Have not been in this year (too many lame excuses).Thought I'd get away with my summer suit this weekend.

I went in at Rossnowlagh on Saturday in a summer suit. I had one of those under armour tops on underneath that I wear during pre-season football training, and a pair of gloves.
    It was grand once I got paddling, but as I said above, the first 10mins or so it was really cold. The sun being out also helped a bit. It give good weather this weekend, so you should be grand. ( you can rent winter gear for €10 a day in Bundoran - not sure about other areas)
    Mind me asking where you're getting those prices?
    I pulled them from http://www.wetsuitcentre.co.uk. Most sites have similar prices. Although if you look at local stores, their prices are similar once you convert to euro, and it makes sense to buy local
    http://www.bundoransurfshop.com

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Only three things you need to look for in a wetsuit.... O'Neill, O'Neill and O'Neill.

Epic II is a great suit for the money, I'm currently using the 2011 Mutant. Tis great @ 225 euro, but the Psycho II is money well spent if you can afford it. Wouldn't be a fan of the Psychfreak and I don't know what to make of the RG8...

Have used Ripcurl, fell apart at the seams. Never again will I buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Went to Sunset in Sligo on Saturday, tried the first C-Skin for €119, and apart from that bulge on my belly, it was perfect. Took it to Rossnowlagh and got sunburnt after more than two hours in the water.
    Verdicts: Basic winter C-Skin (2011 model) for the money does the job, Sunset owner is nice chap and knows what he is doing.
    Thanks to this thread, all posters and Sunset owner.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ThOnda wrote: »
    Went to Sunset in Sligo on Saturday, tried the first C-Skin for €119, and apart from that bulge on my belly, it was perfect. Took it to Rossnowlagh and got sunburnt after more than two hours in the water.
    Verdicts: Basic winter C-Skin (2011 model) for the money does the job, Sunset owner is nice chap and knows what he is doing.
    Thanks to this thread, all posters and Sunset owner.

I would second that! Got a C-Skins wired from the same place at the start of winter, great suit and a good shop to deal with!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Bumping this so I don't have to start my own thread. Im considering buying the O'Neill Epic 2 CT 5x3 suit. I can't find any reviews of it online so I'm wondering if anyone here has used it and is it any good?

The main thing I'm looking for is something that will keep me warm and won't let water leak in through the neck.

This is it: http://www.oneill.com/#/men/europe/collection/men/wetsuits/surf/wetsuit_collection/epic_ii_ct_43mm_1/metal/

Hi, I went ahead and got the O’Neill Epic 5/3.
    I think it’s a great suit, really warm and it doesn’t let in water. I would really recommend it.. I have on occasion worn it during the summer but found it too warm on the sunnier days
    There’s some difference in heat between a winter suit and summer one.

I got it at Bundoran Surf Co. Could have saved about £15 buying online, but at least in there I got to go in and try on the right size etc
    http://bundoransurfshop.com/index.php/wetsuits/wetsuits-mens-winter/o-neill-epic-5-3mm.html

If you’ve a couple of wetsuits in mind and want to compare, www.wetsuitcentre.co.uk have a good breakdown of what features each wetsuit has. They have a youtube video for many of them. I found it helpful when deciding.

Friend or two of mine have O'Neills, they're good solid suits and a bit more affordable than the Xcels or C-Skins afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 shaneoreillyo

do ye think that 2mm boots would be enough just started surfing and realised i have to buy boots due to my feet nearly falling off the last few times. saw some fairly decent rip curl 2mm boots split toe for 25 squids good value or not? are gloves hoods necessary? thanks again lads. im just a noob

do ye think that 2mm boots would be enough just started surfing and realised i have to buy boots due to my feet nearly falling off the last few times. saw some fairly decent rip curl 2mm boots split toe for 25 squids good value or not? are gloves hoods necessary? thanks again lads. im just a noob

Get 5mm boots, you'll be fairly baltic in 2mm I think. I would also say a hood is essential for winter, you'd get by without gloves if you really want to but I wouldn't recommend it.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Get 5mm boots, you'll be fairly baltic in 2mm I think. I would also say a hood is essential for winter, you'd get by without gloves if you really want to but I wouldn't recommend it.

thanks man. oh ya and do split toe round toe matter? 5mm hood and gloves and boots? thanks for taking the time :)

thanks man. oh ya and do split toe round toe matter? 5mm hood and gloves and boots? thanks for taking the time :)

3mm gloves will be grand, any bigger than that is too restrictive.

With the hood, for my old suit I got something like this and it was fine for the winter:

309MSP.JPG

The rashie adds an extra lair for warmth too.

As for the split toe, that won't make much a difference starting out anyway, apparently the split is to stop your foot sliding around inside. If you can save a few quid by getting the rounded ones I would just go for them for now.

It's best to go to your local so for all this stuff so you can try them on.

3mm gloves will be grand, any bigger than that is too restrictive.

With the hood, for my old suit I got something like this and it was fine for the winter:

309MSP.JPG

The rashie adds an extra lair for warmth too.

As for the split toe, that won't make much a difference starting out anyway, apparently the split is to stop your foot sliding around inside. If you can save a few quid by getting the rounded ones I would just go for them for now.

It's best to go to your local so for all this stuff so you can try them on.
    ya ill go for them so thanks. do body warmers that you'd wear for gaa work as rashies and thermal vests in the water or do you need water specific ones? and then buy the hood seperatly if they do work as iv loads of them. or would you just recommend the vest/hood built into one?

ya ill go for them so thanks. do body warmers that you'd wear for gaa work as rashies and thermal vests in the water or do you need water specific ones? and then buy the hood seperatly if they do work as iv loads of them. or would you just recommend the vest/hood built into one?

Depends what they're made out of, if they're wool or something like that then they might keep you a bit warm, but if they're similar material to a gaa or soccerjersey then they won't. THe best thing for warmth in the water is neoprene by far. Having said that, if you have a decent enough wetsuit thats 5mm thick you'd probably get away without a rash vest and can just buy a hood on its own.

Depends what they're made out of, if they're wool or something like that then they might keep you a bit warm, but if they're similar material to a gaa or soccerjersey then they won't. THe best thing for warmth in the water is neoprene by far. Having said that, if you have a decent enough wetsuit thats 5mm thick you'd probably get away without a rash vest and can just buy a hood on its own.
    em its this one. looks same as the rashies but doesnt say anything about effect in water. id say itl still work? its made of polyster nylon and elastene. thanks again last question.
    http://www.weybridgesport.co.uk/images/Canterbury%20Baselayer%20Cold%20%20Black.jpg

em its this one. looks same as the rashies but doesnt say anything about effect in water. id say itl still work? its made of polyster nylon and elastene. thanks again last question.
    http://www.weybridgesport.co.uk/images/Canterbury%20Baselayer%20Cold%20%20Black.jpg

It'll be fine I'd say, as long as your suit is 5mm i won't be an issue anyway.

Advertisement