Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to get a doctors note re exam

Options
  • 19-04-2011 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Basically I've got an exam tomorrow which I fully intend sitting but want to go to a doctors immediately after it just in case it goes south. Basically if I fail it, other exams I have passed will mean nothing as all my passes will lapse. So I just need to get a note saying I'm stressed so couldn't concentrate blah blah blah.

Won't be out of the exam until half 6 tomorrow evening. I've rang Wilton Medi Centre and they close at 6. Ballincollig Medi Centre won't take on any new patients. My own GP is a 2 hour drive away.

So anyone know what my best option would be? I suppose it's not imperative that I get a note tomorrow evening...I could just go later on in the week maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Or cram for the exam and learn enough to pass? A full day??? I Don't see the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I am guessing you would have to get a note from the doctor you have been attending for treatment of stress. If that one is your own one they may post it out to you.

The College could ask how often you attended with stress to ensure that it is a genuine case therfore you need the note from your own Doctor not a random Doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Are you begining to see a pattern in why you keep failing exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Sounds a little dodge!

But the centre that Pat Lee used to work in is walk in and open until half seven. Dr O'Tuama is very nice too, you'll still have to pay a full consultation fee which is €45 though.

Number is 0214875353. They're very nice there and you can walk in as a new patient as long as you have pps number.

Good luck with the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Have a bit of faith in yourself and study hard for the next few hours.

I had no idea you could claim stress as a factor for not passing exams. Surely if that was the case nobody would ever fail again, right? During my time in college I rarely remember not feeling at least a little stressed during exam time. Its natural.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That's a brutal attitude lad. Brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Dodgy plan - doomed to fail.

You will find very few doctors, who have never met you before, signing off on a letter to say they diagnosed you as suffering from stress in one sitting.

Hopefully it won't come to that and you do fine in the exam.

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    Hi all.

Basically I've got an exam tomorrow which I fully intend sitting but want to go to a doctors immediately after it just in case it goes south. Basically if I fail it, other exams I have passed will mean nothing as all my passes will lapse. So I just need to get a note saying I'm stressed so couldn't concentrate blah blah blah.

My reading of this is that you only want a letter in case the exam goes tits up, doesn't sound like stress to me. Only a numpty doctor would give you a note and only a numpty college would entertain it. I also reckon only a numpty would think this would work, once you have sat the exam no doctors note will result in the result being quashed.

Stress is part of the exam process for many folk. If it gets the better of you to the extent that you can't sit the exam then fair enough, once you sit the exam though it's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

No doctor will give you a note and it sounds like your just a chancer. But on the off chance I am wrong, go to your doctor BEFORE the exam, explain your worries that stress will interfere with your performance etc. and at least if it does you can then go back to the same doctor. They will see right through you if you are lying though, so only you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Guys, the dude is clearly chancing his arm here, stressed or not. We all know a doctor isn't simply going to sign him off, and if one actually does - it's still going to cost the OP a pop. We are/were all young at one stage, leave him off! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

This guy is clearly just chancing an arm. If you think that CIT/UCC is going to let you pass an exam you have failed just because you have a doctors cert, prepare to be very much dissapointed!

Doctors notes are for serious issues. Not an inability to study properly. Grow up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Those on their high horses would be surprised at how easily a) doctors issue these notes/letters and b) colleges accept them. I'm not advocating it, but the OP isn't the first and won't be the last to have done it. Special circumstances usually mean a first-sit resit rather than a grade uplift by the way. You don't really know the OP's circumstances (maybe they do indeed suffer with stress and are rather flippant about it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭backtothebooks

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    Hi all.

Won't be out of the exam until half 6 tomorrow evening. I've rang Wilton Medi Centre and they close at 6. Ballincollig Medi Centre won't take on any new patients. My own GP is a 2 hour drive away.

So anyone know what my best option would be? I suppose it's not imperative that I get a note tomorrow evening...I could just go later on in the week maybe?

Now who's the 'muppet'?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement