Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing my Camera

• 19-04-2011 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Last week my Nikon D60 along with a 55-200mm VR Nikkor lens was stolen. I had it covered by my insurance so I'm getting a cheque in the post next week to replace it. I still have the 18-55mm lens so I'm going to go Nikon again but I'm just wondering what people think I should go for in the body?

I've been to Conns and the Camera Centre (to get qoutes for the insurance company) and both recommended that I get the 3100 as its the direct replacement for the D60 - but then someone else told me that the 3100 is due for replacement shortly too so I should hold on for that.

I also would prefer to not buy in Conns or the Camera Centre as I know they're very expensive. I've looked at Birmingham's site and they look like a good alternative but I would love to hear of other shops around that would be better if you have suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'll find 90% of people here will recommend gunn's cameras.
    have you considered buying secondhand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

trippyrez wrote: »
    Last week my Nikon D60 along with a 55-200mm VR Nikkor lens was stolen. I had it covered by my insurance so I'm getting a cheque in the post next week to replace it. I still have the 18-55mm lens so I'm going to go Nikon again but I'm just wondering what people think I should go for in the body?

I've been to Conns and the Camera Centre (to get qoutes for the insurance company) and both recommended that I get the 3100 as its the direct replacement for the D60 - but then someone else told me that the 3100 is due for replacement shortly too so I should hold on for that.

I also would prefer to not buy in Conns or the Camera Centre as I know they're very expensive. I've looked at Birmingham's site and they look like a good alternative but I would love to hear of other shops around that would be better if you have suggestions.

Thanks

There will always be another, better camera in the pipeline. The D5100 is on the way soon, but it's the replacemant for the D5000, not the D3100, and will be more expensive. If you like the D3100 and can afford it, just buy it. It looks like great entry level DSLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭trippyrez

you'll find 90% of people here will recommend gunn's cameras.
    have you considered buying secondhand?

Gunns! Excellent, thanks I'll look them up.

I have considered 2nd hand yes. I've seen a couple of D90s for reasonable enough money and also a D5000 I think it was for very good money. I will be going on a mission this weekend to look in shops and see what kind of 2nd hand stock they have and prices etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭trippyrez

There will always be another, better camera in the pipeline. The D5100 is on the way soon, but it's the replacemant for the D5000, not the D3100, and will be more expensive. If you like the D3100 and can afford it, just buy it. It looks like great entry level DSLR.

This is a very valid point. I'm about 90% sold on the D3100. I think the only thing that would sway me is if I found a really good 2nd hand deal. I was mainly looking for pointers on where to buy and some good feedback! Thanks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

nikon hopefully will be upgrading their range soon... come on d800 . So you could wait, but tbh with any technology... you can always 'wait'. maybe look into second hand and try get a step up from your camera, you'll prob wanna upgrade anyway, the d90 has internal motor too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mattfinucane

I've been considering the D7000 myself and from the reviews I have read it's a very good camera. Will set you back over €1000 though depending on where you buy it. It's the official upgrade of the D90 but has a lot of the features of the higher range D300s and even has better specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 meenaghans

i just bought the d7000 today but wont get it till friday. it was like the last one in cork, all of the more expensive dslr cameras will be getting very slack on the ground due to the crises in japan.

the d5100 looks good as well but decided to go with the d7000

what would you mostyl use the camera for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

worth checking but the prices for 55-200mm lenses have probably dropped since the 55-300mm VR came in last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

The D3100 is a great entry leve camera but I don't like the interface - it's a bit focussed on a first time dslr buyer. Having said that, the sensor is better than the D90's especially for high ISO work.
    I strongly recommend Gunn's (they are really friendly and helpful and quite ken on price). However, I would have a look at buying it in Newry - its only 70 minutes from Dublin. Jessops will allow you to reserve stock on line for collection in store the next day - so no wasted journeys. I have a D7000 myself and love it (it too was a result of a genuine insurance claim).

Good luck with whatever you get and don't forget to post the results here !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

D3100 is less than a year on the market, so my guess is that it is unlikely to be replaced soon.
    It's a very good camera for the price.
    Second hand have a look for a D90. Prices on adverts are a bit high in my opinion. Berminghams had a used one a while back for €550. From UK dealers you can get them £400-450. Both options would give you a few months warranty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement