Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of Deposit

Options
  • 19-04-2011 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi Guys,

Quick Question..

Does a landlord (in this case a Management Company) have the right to withhold returning your deposit until they have proof that all outstanding bills (gas electric) have been paid?

We pay all our bills by Direct Debit and have transferred our gas and electric to our new place.

We've moved over 2 weeks ago, but they are still holding out for some confirmation that bills have been paid before they return deposit...

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tonyfillony

exact same thing happened to me with a company called choices, even though the bills were in my name and had been transferred to a different address they refused to give the deposit , had to get a loan to clear the bills and then used the deposit to pay back the loan! what a joke, i hate you choices

• Registered Users Posts: 27 punkypolly

Hi there.
    i work in the area... i reckon the real reason you havent got your deposit back is because the management company cant get it back from your landlord. landlords have become more and more tetchy about giving back rightful deposits to tenants because, basically, they spent it when they first got it!
    What you need to do is send in copies of the final paid bills and tell the management company to pay up asap or threaten them with solicitors and the PRTB. good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its not unreasonable. Ask the energy supplier for a closing statement or bring your bank statement along to their office.

ESB: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1349

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

punkypolly wrote: »
    Hi there.
    i work in the area... i reckon the real reason you havent got your deposit back is because the management company cant get it back from your landlord.

Letting agents should RETAIN these in an escrow or client funds account. Tenants should insist on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 punkypolly

yep, youre right, they should. A lot of them do hold the deposits, but as they are doing a service for a landlord, they have to go with what the landlord says. He/she is the customer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 710 ✭✭✭omnithanos

Victor wrote: »
    Its not unreasonable. Ask the energy supplier for a closing statement or bring your bank statement along to their office.

ESB: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1349

It's completely unreasonable. If the energy bill is in your name any outstanding amount is your responsibility and has no relevance to the address to which the bill was incurred.
    They have no right to see any of your bills you should tell them to pay up the deposit immediately or just don't pay the last months rent. These Management company's all seem to be tremendous dishonest cowboys and should all be outlawed.

Advertisement