Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

making twitter vaguely useful

• 19-04-2011 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Can't find this in earlier threads but apologies if I missed it.

I'm not a big twitter user, and am not a fan of scanning through lists of updates every few hours - but I'd still like to use it as a decent news service, with something like discreet pop-ups with the updates visible within the window in real-time. Preferably without being logged into the twitter page (i.e. browser update / seperate RSS reader)

For the life of me, I can't find a way. I have decent RSS software (FeedDemon) and have browsed through a pile of Chrome/FF extensions. Surely there is a way to have a pop-up like an Outlook mail alert / new Chrome GMail alerts...it's so...logical!

I can only find extensions that add buttons you must click to read a list of updates. All the RSS readers I've tried only seem to update me that there is an update in x RSS feed: content not visible without going to check it.

Please, anyone - any ideas? There must be plenty of people using it this way.

Hopefully I have missed it somewhere. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

How about an application like Tweetdeck?

The thing about Twitter is that it is real time and very transient.

Tweetdeck will also allow you search for particular keywords or hashtags and organise them into columns.

You'll still have to click through to the various links to see full stories.

http://www.tweetdeck.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DavisBXL

Thanks for the reply. Should have mentioned I tried it - it's a bit heavy on system resources - had a look through the site again but can't see if it now does the 'alerts' when minimised I was talking about?

I know filtering is an extra wish on top of what I'm already asking - I'd be willing to clean out my following list just for those I want if could even get all updates to pop-up.

It's exactly the transient nature of twitter that's fine with me - I already have a RSS reader full of articles for work. I don't want to plough through random twitter thoughts after 2-days away from the office. If they can just pop up and if they catch my eye at that moment maybe I'll catch a story faster, etc.

Thanks a lot - other suggestions welcome too of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DavisBXL

have since installed tweetdeck within Chrome and they have improved it further. Have some pop-ups set up already - seems like a decent workaround.
    Thanks a lot for the suggestion Brian

Advertisement