Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bachelor of Science in TV and Media Production

Options
  • 19-04-2011 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Is this the first year this course takes place? Very hard to find information about it. Anyone registered to do it, like to share their expectations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

Am probably waaaay too late with my response but just stumbled upon this thread.

I've just finished first year in TV and Media Prod. in Carlow. I HIGHLY recommend it. You learn a lot. It's very practical and great craic. Sometimes it gets a bit dossy, but it's a brillinat course. I did English and History for a year prior to this year and I found it terrible. This course is a dream for anyone with a bit of creativity and a desire to get into the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bullman_14

I have applied for this course as a mature student and I just wondering about the career prospects after you finish? It'd kinda be my last chance saloon at college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 johnnyjo

how many points is required for this course?
    ie whats the minimum or cutoff for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dusterd

Their website says this is the minimum

Leaving Certificate: 5 subjects at Ordinary Level grade D3 or better. Subjects required: English or Irish at Ordinary Level grade D3 or better and Mathematics at Ordinary Level grade D3 or better.

I too have applied for this course as a mature student. Could be my last chance too.

Glad to see its an enjoyable course. Really do hope to get in this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭kdogkeith

REALLY glad to hear its a practical course im useless when it comes to focussing on reading and writing stuff, I spent 2 summers teaching film production to teenagers and im only 19 so practical stuff is right up my alley :-)

• Advertisement

Ah well then, I hope yas all get in. I can't wait to go back!

Well I'm glad to announce that I have been accepted on this course and will begin on the 7 of September. Really looking forward to it.

well, best of luck with it! It really is a cracking course!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 smashedhat

Lisa, I have been offered this course. I expect to really like it but can you tell me is website design a significant part of the course, or is it marginal?? As much as TV Production appeals to me I'd imagine a degree in it in no way guarantees a job, and as I am now 30 this is important. I think if the course provides web design training, then that might yield greater success when it comes to finding a job. Can U let me know please. Thank You

in first year, you do a tiny bit of web design. However, in second year, web design is a main module. Obviously, I'm only going into second year so I'm not terribly sure how much we actually learn. That said, the lecturer for web design was showing us a website the second years made.

Basically, they had a large project to do wherein they designed a web site and filmed an advertisement for a local business - quite professional looking. Web design is even suggested as a future prospect on the course page, so I think it's probably fairly detailed - a lot of the basics and more detailed stuff are taught to us then there's an incentive for the students to learn themselves.

Like, we were taught the basics of video editing and photoshopping, but if we wanted to, the tools were all there to learn the detailed stuff. I imagine the same applies to web design. :)

• Advertisement

I know theres a €2000 admission fee but are there any other costs throughout the year??? ie books
    Im starting my first year btw

No. There are no books required. The only cost is that if you break something, you gotta pay for it. You should be grand though. Mostly, the equipment is hard to break.

On one of my days, I got my hands on a 2500 euro camera and the first thing I did was drop it on the floor. Nearly had a heart attack. Didn't break it though, so phew. :D

got it no grabbing the equipment with sweaty hands ;-)

Hey about the €2000 fee, I have applied for a grant from the Kildare V.E.C. and am due to register for this course tomorrow. It doesn't look like they are going to have the grant approved by tomorrow. What happens if I don't have the letter of approval for the college tomorrow?

kdogkeith It looks like we will be classmates.

Thanks for the info Lisa

dusterd wrote: »
    Hey about the €2000 fee, I have applied for a grant from the Kildare V.E.C. and am due to register for this course tomorrow. It doesn't look like they are going to have the grant approved by tomorrow. What happens if I don't have the letter of approval for the college tomorrow?

You're due to register tomorrow?? I got a letter saying registration will take place Monday 5th or Tuesday 6th Sptember. How come you're registering so early?

You could try telling them you're getting it soon? Worst happens is they'll not give you your student card and you can just get it in a couple of weeks. You have til October 31st until they will start hounding ya for money/ask you to present your grant letter.

Mature students register before the rest, I believe. On Thursday and Friday of this week there is also an information day to prepare us for the course and at nearly 40 I'd say I'm going to be the oldest in the class.

There's no reason why I shouldn't qualify for the grant. I certainly hope they don't turn me away from the door for not having the grant. Afterall it's only a little issue of €2,000, which I do not have.

Yeah I'm a mature student as well, I'm 30. It's still next week for my registration though. Maybe you were offered the place in Round A or Round Zero, and it might be this week for ye.
    I'll hopefully be getting Back to Education allowance but I was too honest when filling out grant application form to get my student charge paid. I was in third level before but dropped out and was given the grant. Because of this I can't my student fees paid again, it looks like. I'll be sickened if I have to pay €2000. I've less than that and what I have I was hoping to siphon funds off each week to get me by. Useless with money, I won't be able to survive on dole money

dusterd wrote: »

The registration for the course is either monday or tuesday and we wont know until tomorrow which day it is, unless its different for mature students???

• Advertisement

Yeah, I got in on round zero. I don't know why there are different registration days. I looked it up on the Carlow I.T. website and it is definitely tomorrow @ 2.30 course CW547. here is the link for it.

http://www.itcarlow.ie/public/userfiles/files/pdfs/CARLOW-Registration-Schedule-2011-First-Year-Matures.pdf

theres more information about registration for all students here http://www.itcarlow.ie/study-at-itc/registration.htm

Ok now I'm worried, I may ring them in the morning and find out for sure

it says there the registration for mature students is tomorrow , you had me worried too :P

Oh you're not a mature student. Yeah for all yees lucky young uns it's def next week. ****. Looks like I may go down there tomorrow. ****, that will ruin my plans of sitting around relaxing. It's getting too real now, this whole college thing

yep still moochin off my parents so no grant for me, i have to move on saturday to check into my accomodation so little relaxation time for me, I'l see you on wednesday though

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bullman_14

What day does the course start?

It's Wednesday I believe.

Does anybody know what time first years are in tomorrow and what room we are in???
    Im leaving at 5 this evening and wont have access to the internet after that so if somebody could let me know before then id appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Kelleherqueen

Hey, I know this thread is pretty old but I'm an incoming first year to TV and Media Production and will be starting the upcoming Monday. I still haven't found out any information about how many hours the course is per week; are any second years able to tell me? I'm eager to know because I need to try my best to get a part-time job there because I don't want to be relying on my parents for money all year especially when they don't have it. And I need to know what kind of hours I'll be able to work between college hours. Thanks!

Advertisement