Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12,50 an hour for qualified electricians

Options
  • 19-04-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

a company i use to work for in ireland a fairly large electrical company, i heard last week are only paying qualified electrican's 12,50 an hour no lodge no travel is this possible ?? there based in the south thats all im saying i could be wrong but thats what i heard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Yep sounds right should be glad to get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

a company i use to work for in ireland a fairly large electrical company, i heard last week are only paying qualified electrican's 12,50 an hour no lodge no travel is this possible ?? there based in the south thats all im saying i could be wrong but thats what i heard.

I,ve heard of 9 euro an being offered to electricians...beanie crawl back under your rock

isnt it better than dole

beanie10 wrote: »
    isnt it better than dole

not really..I served a four yr apprenticeship ..then an extra five yrs for full proffienncy...did a few city and guilds and a few other courses ..some paid for by myself...and if someone thinks I,m gonna work for half the union rate at 40 years of age ..they are sadly mistaken.I work part time now..and I do contract work at 150 euros approx.

150 per day approx.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 blackwolf

If possible move to oz i heard they are crying out for trades men a friend of mine a plasterer couldnt get work here he was washing cars at a local car wash now he is getting 1000 a week over there with a great lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the union wage is too high for this day and age. Alot of people looking for work out there. and there are plenty of sparks out there who would be happy for a weekly wage greater than the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

mattjack wrote: »
    I,ve heard of 9 euro an being offered to electricians...beanie crawl back under your rock

Yea I know of a place offering 9 euro aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

not really..I served a four yr apprenticeship ..then an extra five yrs for full proffienncy...did a few city and guilds and a few other courses ..some paid for by myself...and if someone thinks I,m gonna work for half the union rate at 40 years of age ..they are sadly mistaken.I work part time now..and I do contract work at 150 euros approx.

Tradesmen always go on about the 4 year apprenticeships they had to do. WE ALL DID IT! I was in 3rd level for 6 years! AND I WASN'T PAID A WAGE.
    Get over it, your crowds day of robbing people blind is over, thank god

sealgaire wrote: »
    Tradesmen always go on about the 4 year apprenticeships they had to do. WE ALL DID IT! I was in 3rd level for 6 years! AND I WASN'T PAID A WAGE.

I NEVER ROBBED ANYBODY........3rd level ? fantastic ..delighted for ya...what would you suggest paying tradesmen....? give us a rundown on paying construction professionals ,semi skilled and unskilled workers while your at it .As far as I know the union rate now for an industrial electrician is 22 euros approx , employers about 55 euros an hour providing electricians...remember now... if you pay peanuts you,ll get monkeys....

• Advertisement

you,ll get monkeys....

True .. .

You think €20 + an hour is sustainable!?!?!?!?!?!?

True .. .

You think €20 + an hour is sustainable!?!?!?!?!?!?

what do you think is a fair rate..?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

You weren't paid a wage when you were studying at 3rd level because
    YOU WEREN'T WORKING!
    Also depending on what course you did, you could have had as little as 15 hours a week of lectures for about 8 months of the year.
    Also apprenticeship are effectively 5 years of at least 40 hours a week of training.
    Everybody was being paid a bit too much but if electricians rate across the board drops too low all better electricians will choose a different career and you'll be left with all the useless sparks who wouldn't know how to test an installation with the manual open in front if them.
    BTW I'm 27 and sparking for 9 years how much is reasonable for me to take home every week?

what do you think is a fair rate..?

Not a clue but not €20 p/h!

Not a clue but not €20 p/h!

Yeah I think It's fair you haven't a clue.:rolleyes:

One of the risks of employing poorly trained and paid electricians is shoddy work......which could kill you , so if you feel 20 or so euros an hour is too much , thats fair enough...would you gamble with a bad mechanic at your car ? or an unregistered gas fitter in your house ...? I doubt it ....I know I wouldnt..I,ve no idea what you do for a living Sealgaire...but I,m assuming you consider yourself well trained and wouldnt provide a shoddy service..the same as myself and a lot of other tradesmen...union rates are negotiated for a reason ..recognising a skill and trade...any trade...be they baker,mechanic and so on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

SparKing wrote: »
    Yeah I think It's fair you haven't a clue.:rolleyes:

no point in attacking the poster , maybe its fair maybe its not , its all about supply and demand and right now the supply of electricians is much greater than the demand , thats the new ireland , you will either adjust to the reality or try somewhere else

danbohan wrote: »
    no point in attacking the poster , maybe its fair maybe its not , its all about supply and demand and right now the supply of electricians is much greater than the demand , thats the new ireland , you will either adjust to the reality or try somewhere else

He said he didn't have a clue, I agreed, I also though it was funny.

This isn't a free market economy, the labour market is regulated,so it isn't and shouldn't be all about supply and demand.
    BTW I think the boardsie I so cruelly attacked is training to be or is a teacher (from what. I can gather from his previous posts) , the majority of whom work in the most protected labour market in this country, so I couldn't care less about their opinion on MY wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

SparKing wrote: »
    He said he didn't have a clue, I agreed, I also though it was funny.

This isn't a free market economy, the labour market is regulated,so it isn't and shouldn't be all about supply and demand.
    BTW I think the boardsie I so cruelly attacked is training to be or is a teacher (from what. I can gather from his previous posts) , the majority of whom work in the most protected labour market in this country, so I couldn't care less about their opinion on MY wages.

does not matter what regulation is in place , if and when an economy like ireland reaches a point such as it has reached then ,wages will fall to a level that your competition is willing to work for , if you dont want work for those wages so be it . unless of course you are like our friend in the public/ semi state sector where no realism applies yet .

The point I and others have made is that a wage should be enough to encourage standards In electrical installation is kept high.
    Safety is of the utmost importance with regard to our trade, a race to the bottom wages-wise will be of little benefit to the upkeep of the safety and standards on which the whole trade is based.
    Maybe you think the wages are too high, I personally don't think that €600 take home pay is particularly high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

average industrial wage: 36,000

20euro p/h * 40 hours/week * 50 weeks/yr = 40,000

throw in the fact you wouldn't be working consistantly, it may drop a bit. So it's probably about right.

that being said, alot of people aren't being paid what they used to, and it's an employer's market so maybe some reduction should be expected.

btw, I'm not an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

its a bigger question than just electricians rates
    we earned a wage during the boom while our bosses earned the big wedge
    we are, if lucky enough, still earning a weekly wage while they cry about falling profits
    first electricians then carpenters, brickies, plumbers will all follow suit
    keep the working classes down while the bankers and investors escape
    (get down off my soapbox now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Well if the rates were at the same as a job packing the shelves in lidl etc, the lidl job would be far more appealing.

So there is only good electricians on €20 per hour!!!!As a contractor myself Ive come across my fair share of useless tits demand €1,000 per week.Im all for doing a job well and every one get paid (staff,suppliers,directors).Its about time that electricians in this country realise that there is no contractor getting €55 per hour to supply a qualified electrician, a more realistic figure is €30 per hour (which reduces to €25 per hour after 4 hours) and believe me if a contrtactor gets that he is lucky.

No, but if the rate was €12.50 an hour, not as many good ones will do it, unless they love electrical work. Or unless the costs of living drop to mid 90`s levels. Maybe they will eventually though. Its all relative. €12.50 an hour could be plenty if the living costs were low enough. But if electrical work was on a par with non skilled jobs wages wise, i would never want to do it again. I dont do it much now as it is thankfully.

The only way to get the cost of living down is to get the wages down, wages are too high in this country and as wages go up cost of living goes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

dolittle wrote: »
    its a bigger question than just electricians rates
    we earned a wage during the boom while our bosses earned the big wedge
    we are, if lucky enough, still earning a weekly wage while they cry about falling profits
    first electricians then carpenters, brickies, plumbers will all follow suit
    keep the working classes down while the bankers and investors escape
    (get down off my soapbox now)

The construction REA which covers Brickies,carpenters and plumbers had its pay rate reduced by 7.5% recently.

I could live with that sort of a drop,€12.50 an hour or less is a total joke.

The current climate is just an excuse for employers to try fleece their staff.

superg wrote: »
    The construction REA which covers Brickies,carpenters and plumbers had its pay rate reduced by 7.5% recently.

I could live with that sort of a drop,€12.50 an hour or less is a total joke.

The current climate is just an excuse for employers to try fleece their staff.
    Its not an excuse and if you really believe that why dont you go out and set up your own business pay your tax, prsi, pension, insurance, suppliers, wages etc., look for a contract and you will get some awakening as to the real state of affairs in this country.
    Average of 5 electrical contractors price each job and you would be surprised at the value of the winning contract. Guarantee you with your attitude you wont get within an ass`s roar of it.

beanie10 wrote: »
    Its not an excuse and if you really believe that why dont you go out and set up your own business pay your tax, prsi, pension, insurance, suppliers, wages etc., look for a contract and you will get some awakening as to the real state of affairs in this country.
    Average of 5 electrical contractors price each job and you would be surprised at the value of the winning contract. Guarantee you with your attitude you wont get within an ass`s roar of it.

Well then tell us what the rate should be.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Well then tell us what the rate should be.
    Dont get me wrong the rate shouild be €22 per hour but in recession the private sector gets hit first and hardest.The banks has no money therefore the people have no money, we have too many electricians in this country(thats FAS fault). If you are a qualified electrician and are offered €12.50 per hour grab it with both hands, you wont get an offer like it again.
    The government has alot to answer for too in relation to public tenders as no matter what the cheapest gets it, and we end up with situation like Pierse Construction where no subcontractors get paid but dont worry the subcontractors staff get there wages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement