Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12,50 an hour for qualified electricians

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

superg wrote: »
    Thanks for the breakdown.Interesting reading and the kind of information that is needed if we are to have a proper rate of pay determined.
    You are welcome. I am out of the contracting game a while now so someone else may be able to give you a more accurate picture.
    Every single contractor I've worked for didnt pay it and still don't.
    Like I said this is against the REA.
    Only the big companies paid it from what I've learned from talking to other lads throughout my apprenticeship.
    Well it was only the 50 largest companies that signed up to the REA
    Power tools yes do tend to be supplied but again these days people have their own and use them.This is another area thats needs addressing in whatever new REA can be agreed.
    My understanding is that it has been addressed. Electricians can only be forced to supply tools that are on the "approved list". The TEEU can provide you with a copy. I have seen the list. There are no power tools on it (or even a multimeter).
    €32 euro an hour is not a lot just to breakeven
    Yes, however it is a rough estimate by someone that is not a contractor anymore.
    for profit You want how much more?
    Me personally? I don't know. To be honest not much more is achievable in the current climate. If I were to employ anone again it would be apprentices only. That would be my only hope of making any money. Employing an electrician for me would be too stressful as my overheads would shoot up. It would be far cheaper and more productive to have two apprentices and mould them into my way of working.
    Even at that rate its is difficult price to achieve right now but as I've said before,thats as much down to oversupply of contractors as it is oversupply sparks.lots are going abroad or looking at other careers while contractors are going to the wall,sad as it is, if that trend continues we will eventually get to a stage where supply no longer massively outstripes demand then we will see the true worth of our services.
    +1
    I would never work in this game for the rates being discussed on here.
    I don't blame you.

I don't think our points of view are very far apart. You seem to accept that the rates as per the REA are unsustainable and I accept that the rates the OP posted are not an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Unfortunately 2011 its the sad reality of it, I dont take any joy in this. I would love if it was like it was 4 years ago whrer everything was great and contractors could afford €22 an hour but its not, it feels like an eternity ago.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

beanie10 wrote: »
    Unfortunately 2011 its the sad reality of it, I dont take any joy in this. I would love if it was like it was 4 years ago whrer everything was great and contractors could afford €22 an hour but its not, it feels like an eternity ago.

I know. I don't take any joy in it either. I spent far longer on my tools as an electrician than as an employer.

I made plans to get out of the contracting game in 2005, paid all of my suppliers and got out shortly afterwards.

For the record, I never had an empoyee argue with me about pay, pension, or travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Going to close this thread now, it's difficult out there now for everyone. 9 euro an hour is unbelievable, but labour rate threads are banned on this forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement