Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VGC 2011 Dates Revealed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

YES!!!
    I'll have to wait 'till Monday for my parents credit card but sure, that'll be grand! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Not sure if its true or not, but intresting bit of info from Kotaku while talking about the DreamWorld.
    The Pokémon encountered in Dream World may look like normal, everyday pocket monsters, but they'll have access to skills that they've never been able to use in previous iterations of the game. For the serious Pokémon battler, the element of surprise alone would be a serious advantage, which is likely why this year's Pokémon Video Game Championships limits teams to Pokémon encountered in the new Unova Region.

http://kotaku.com/#!5794747/a-trip-through-pokemon-black-and-whites-online-dream-world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Not sure if its true or not, but intresting bit of info from Kotaku while talking about the DreamWorld.

http://kotaku.com/#!5794747/a-trip-through-pokemon-black-and-whites-online-dream-world
    That's Tauros Droppings in relation to Unova Pokemon. They all have Hidden Dream World abilities but not a single Unova Pokemon has had their's officially released yet. Not even in Japanese.

Seriously some writers need to do their homework...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

I'm definitely going, but I am going to go over the night before and stay locally. The flight home isn't until 10pm so It's going to be a long day. I'm looking forward to it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

How much is it costing you altogether?

• Advertisement

It wasn't too bad. Friday night flight, budget hotel and return flight cost €80 altogether.

At the moment the morning flight over and night flight back on Saturday is around €40 so anyone thinking of going should look into booking sooner rather then later

The good thing about the Birmingham venue is that it's walking distance from the airport so no transport costs for the day.

Oh Gods it's so tempting!!!1!

For anyone interested:

It seems one can book Virgin only trains from one of my local stations to the NEC from only £9
    CheapTrainVirginOnly.jpg

The nearest airports from my gaff are (organised by distance) London City, Gatwick and Heathrow. London City serves naff all, Gatwick to my place can require 3 changes and Heathrow requires an hour or so tube ride followed by finally getting on the train out to mine. The Gatwick trains costs about £20 or so and the Heathrow costing less if you have an Oyster card, so I'm guessing about £10-£12 as the Oyster can only charge you that much per day.

Although it might work out cheaper to fly to Birmingham on the day and come over, if anyone wanted to come a day or two beforehand (if flights permit cheapness) and have a trip around London with their Pokémon. You are more than welcome to stay at my place, just bring a kibble treat for the cat as you will be sleeping in her bed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Wobbuffet wrote: »
    I'm definitely going, but I am going to go over the night before and stay locally.

Ditto ^^

I still haven't come close to deciding a team though, with less than a month to go. The one strategy I've come up with so far is brilliant when it works but quickly falls apart if something goes wrong and there's lots that can go wrong with it. Hmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭SamIAmNot

elekid wrote: »
    Ditto ^^

The one strategy I've come up with so far is brilliant when it works but quickly falls apart if something goes wrong and there's lots that can go wrong with it. Hmm..

Sounds a bit like a gamble... An all or nothing kind of deal. Hope it works out for you though. I can't make it this year unfortunately. As it stands I'd be lucky to make it to a day meeting in town :(

• Advertisement

Yeah, it was a bit all or nothing so I've spent the day planning something much more reliable.

That sucks about not being able to go. If there's a special download Pokémon this year, like the shiny Eevee from last year, maybe one of us could bring your copy of the game and download it for you.

It now turns out I start my 3rd year project literally two days before, doubt I can get the time off. Crushed. But glad I hadn't already booked.

Haven't booked yet but hopefully I'll be doing so on unemployed pay day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Rocket Butch

Just don't book trains on thetrainline.com as they charge a higher booking fee than other websites. Like Virgin Trains.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Doubt I'll be able to go to this, kinda sucks :(

I met Buzz over the weekend and she has several spare Deino, Timburr and Zorua with good IV's. If anyone wants to train any of these for VGC, send her a PM to arrange a trade

Stats are in the order HP/Att/Def/Sp.Att/Sp.Def/Speed

Timburr

Adamant. Guts. Female 21/31/23/20/2/2
    Adamant. Guts. Male 19/31/17/30/10/2
    Hasty. Sheer Force. Male 26/31/30/8/10/8
    Adamant. Guts. Female 21/31/19/19/4/22
    Adamant. Guts. Female 21/31/19/19/27/2 Hidden Power Ice 69
    Adamant. Guts. Female 21/31/5/28/12/2
    Adamant. Guts. Male 14/31/23/18/10/17
    Adamant. Guts. Male 17/31/6/13/10/17

Deino

Jolly. Male. 27/16/27/31/26/26 Hidden Power Bug 68
    Modest. Male 5/31/24/31/12/31 Hidden Power Ghost 46
    Hasty. Female. 25/6/20/31/14/31 Hidden Power Bug 66
    Hasty. Female 1/31/19/30/31/31 Hidden Power Electric 69
    Mild. Male. 27/28/20/29/26/31 Hidden Power Bug 56

There are loads of Zorua and I don't have time to list them all, they have a variety of natures and hidden powers and all of them have maxed IV's in at least two of the Special Attack/Special Defense/Speed stats. If you want a specific Zorua, let me know and I'll check the list for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

So VGC season starts today in Seattle. Guess it'll be time to investigate team lineups, what strategies are in use and which ones actually work :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Sounds like a plan, alright, Chris. :P I'll be continuing my breeding till I can find some information to look at.

No real tactic set yet, just training a list of pokemon I think I will use, see how they gel together and stuff. My tactic is adapting and countering what I see, nothing special. Im never one for crazy plans or setups.

I've booked my flight, along with a friend, for the weekend. Should be fun. So who all is going from Ireland and representing? B|

Looks like I'm going tohave to drop out this year. :/
    Unless by some stroke of brilliance I can afford a flight a few days before that is.

I've been looking up couch surfing in Birmingham, just on the off chance that I get the time off. Maybe that'd help if people are stuck for accommodation, apparently it's much safer than you'd think.

• Advertisement

So who is actually coming now? I've lost track...

Seniors Final Seattle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTBq4bppeRQ&feature=related
    Masters Final Seattle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3rPq7jao0Q&feature=related
    Lot of naked Menémon sitting in clouds going on...

This is possibly the cheapest the flights are going to get now, you have to come a day or two early and leave either on the day or after. The cheapest I found were from Gatwick, maybe hunt around for other and either couch surf or bunk in my spare bed for the day or two?
    Untitled-7.jpg

Maybe you could get organise two or three drivers, a car, a ferry and pool in on petrol? Road trip, Boards.ie style!

So who is actually coming now?

Me! I'm going over the night before and staying in a hotel at the airport. I'm really looking forward to it cos last year was brilliant :)

I'm planning on going to the VGC in Madrid (as it's the only other one that doesn't clash with my other plans), would anyone else be mad enough to come to that with me?

If I come across cheap flights(€20-€30) before this I'll be coming but it's not looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah VGC will be a no-go for me this year :(

Although come 2012 I will be there!

Oh yeah!

For those coming on Saturday, if for some reason you can't find me in my Pikachu hoodie, then take a look out for an Irish flag waving madly in the crowd followed by random bursts of broken Irish!

Entertainment in the queue wise, I will be organising little parties of Pokémon Rumble TCG and parties of Pokémon Party Mini VS mode. Winner, best craic, and first KO'd (for Rumble) get a slice of Premier Ball cake.

I'm booked into a cancellable hotel room in Luton for VGC Madrid. The flight can possibly be cancellled in the form of I can get the money in credit towards another flight in the future. My plan is to stay the night before in Luton, fly out that morning to Madrid, play VGC, fly back to Luton that evening, sleep in Luton and go home on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

followed by random bursts of broken Irish!

IS FÉIDIR LINN!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wedgelington

im with you on that one, i litterally have'nt got a penny, but come 2012, i am making it my quest to win a regional and go to the finals

• Advertisement

Just leaving work for the airport.

Good luck to everyone else taking part this year.

Advertisement