Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Australia East Coast & Melbourne Area

Options
  • 19-04-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hey all,

Im making the move to Oz next month. Im looking for some info on surf spots / where to go, etc.

Im travelling the east coast for 5 weeks Sydney to Cairns but wont be looking for surf the whole time as my mate is total beginner and we will be partying/ enjoying other activities also. But i'll surf where/when I get the chance.

After that Im flying to Melbourne to settle for a while. Anybody here have any knowledge of surfing there or close by as I hear it's about an hour or more drive to surf spots?

Probably looking at mainly beach breaks or gentle reefs - as im sort of in transition between both but still mainly on beaches. Plus my mate is a pure beginner.

Any help/advice/info greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

Goodluck with move to Oz, I travelled to a few places in that area. I manily long board but occasionally resize when waves are suitable. In sydney I surfed Manly Harbour, stay there for a few days. Quiet harbour town away from the madness of Sydney. Some nice breaks going right off the rocks. Very safe, can be good for boogey boarding also.
    Cresent Head east of Kempsey was also an excellent place, a sleepy village with proud traditions of long board surfing. 5 of us stayed in a place called the Beach and Bush Retreat which was bang on.
    We surfed other spots on the sunshine and gold coast but those were the spots that stood out for us. Most of us had surfed before but by no means were we experts. Enjoy the travells :D

Advertisement