Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Overall Retro Console

• 19-04-2011 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭

Ok, so which is the best retro system overall?

I'm hoping people will only vote for a system they have and love and not one the wish they had.

This poll is to see what retro system you think is the best, it doesn't have to have the best games or be the best looking, just the one you like the most, for whatever reason.

I've included as many systems as I can but the limit for polls on boards is 25.
    I'm sure I've left out someone's favourite so sorry, stick it in the comments.

I've included systems from the 1st to the 6th generations of consoles, so the cut off was 2004.

Best Overall Retro Console 47 votes

Atari 2600
    0% 0 votes
    Vectrex
    2% 1 vote
    Game Boy
    0% 0 votes
    Sega Game Gear
    4% 2 votes
    Sega Master System
    0% 0 votes
    NES
    0% 0 votes
    Sega Mega Drive
    0% 0 votes
    Atari Lynx
    17% 8 votes
    Neo-Geo
    0% 0 votes
    Neo-Geo CD
    2% 1 vote
    SNES
    0% 0 votes
    Philips CD-i
    38% 18 votes
    Sega Nomad
    2% 1 vote
    Virtual Boy
    0% 0 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    0% 0 votes
    PlayStation
    0% 0 votes
    Sega Saturn
    6% 3 votes
    3DO
    0% 0 votes
    Amiga CD32
    4% 2 votes
    Nintendo 64
    0% 0 votes
    Dreamcast
    10% 5 votes
    Game Boy Advance
    4% 2 votes
    Nintendo GameCube
    0% 0 votes
    PlayStation 2
    4% 2 votes
    Xbox
    4% 2 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SNES. You can close the thread now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    SNES. You can close the thread now.

Hmm, lets see what the others say first :)

The SNES was/is a great system no doubt and I'm sure a lot of people will pick that. But maybe they will pick something else, maybe they will realise they like another system that has bad games and looks rubbish, but they love it just the same.

I cant be the only one :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I know at least one is going to vote for the Jag!

Me, I'm torn between the MD and the Snes, maybe a hint of the Gameboy...
    Probably jump for the Megadrive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

SNES for me, great games, great memorys, the control pad was better than the megadrive one i think personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Went with gameboy, but was leaning towards GBA/SNES. Ask me next week and I could say something completely different though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Don't think the PS2 or the Xbox should be in there at all, not retro, heck you can still buy PS2 games in regular shops!
    Some pruning is needed.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Don't think the PS2 or the Xbox should be in there at all, not retro, heck you can still buy PS2 games in regular shops!
    Some pruning is needed.

yeah, I think ur prob right.

I don't have edit options for the poll, can an admin kill the PS2 and Xbox options. They really shouldn't be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I clicked Atari Jaguar before I realised this poll might actually be for real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

N64 Cause Mario 64 is the best game ever.

And how come there is the megadrive and the nomad, but no PC engine :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Cube ftw...!

Actually, I think I should've voted Playstation.

Or SNES.

Or Gameboy.

Or Dreamcast.

Ahhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

GAMEBOY......................................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

I've said it before, but I'll say it again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PS2.

2 decades of developers' experience coming together with low costs/pricing & high market share gaves us some of the best games ever created.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    PS2.

2 decades of developers' experience coming together with low costs/pricing & high market share gaves us some of the best games ever created.

Yeah, a great and essential console without a doubt, but as long as Tescos are still selling games for it for 29.99 (WCW 2008, saw it there this evening!) then the machine cannot be retro.
    Could be 5/8 years before the PS2 could be even considered retro, in any way!
    It was so mainstream that it can't even go for the pre-retro "cult" status.
    Hard to be cult when everyone has one!

The GC has a better chance of being cult than the PS2!
    Even the Xbox was marginally more, well, less vanilla anyways, not to cast aspersions on the games on the Xbox, a machine killed off before it's time, but it is no where near retro status either.

The PS/Saturn/N64 are not long over the crest of the hill, into the valley of retro-hood, and it took some convincing to get the committee to admit the PS, believe me!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Torn between the N64 and SNES but... I voted for N64, probably because it's more fresh in the memory after playing a couple of weekends ago for the first time in ages :)

Advertisement